Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
the wordage
    #3718857 - 02/02/05 11:52 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

okay, we are all here virtually, right? we are only represented by our screen names, our little cute avatars and signatures, and (more importantly) the words we use every time we post. agree?

that's why I like it when people express themselves as clearly as possible. look over your post before you hit Send. I can't rely on your tone of voice or your gesticulations or the angle your head is tilted to make a conclusion about what you mean to say; I can only go by the words you type in the little box.

I am as guilty as anyone else of forgetting this important reality, and I admit it's tough. it's even harder communicating truth here than in real life, I think. you have to be very careful. ...unless you don't want to, which I often don't. following that, the other thing to remember is, we're all here of our own volition, and we can do and say whatever we want here, and maybe get banned or not, whatever.

the point? remember that no one (swami excepted) can read your thoughts, so you must represent them as acurately as possible.

I say this because lately I've been accused of nitpicking, which may or may not be true. I'd like to think that I am only trying to understand your ideas by getting you to express them more clearly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: the wordage [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3718923 - 02/02/05 12:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"I am only trying to understand your ideas by getting you to express them more clearly. "
If only more people thought this way.
:grin:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: the wordage [Re: California]
    #3718961 - 02/02/05 12:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ROFL..  :heart:
i lack words..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: the wordage [Re: Gomp]
    #3718976 - 02/02/05 12:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hmm, I forgot about Gomp, and how this is primarily an English-language forum. however, I think Gomp understands that his limitations with English are not limitations at all. Gomp is like a mirror in that way---he doesn't put things in that precise way which we usually desire, so we're forced to think it through, which means it's filtered through our heads more than some other posts

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3720529 - 02/02/05 06:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well said. I would also like to add that you can't just make up new words of new meanings of existing words. If you must, use a dictionary if you are unsure of a word.

As you said, the only way to convey meaning here is through a written language, and it's important for everyone's "internal dictionary" to sync up. There is so much conflict caused by personalized word usage... and a simple remedy for this is to be clear and concise.

And if someone challenges your use of a word, please challenge yourself to make sure you used that word correctly before responding. It's quite possible that you did not use it correctly... I know I am often guilty of the same prismac.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: the wordage [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3720544 - 02/02/05 06:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I too make efforts to understand someone that is not as clear as I would like. But... sometimes I don't get it right.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: the wordage [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3720613 - 02/02/05 06:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the equal of who we are, gets narrower, by mimicking each other..

*oh my, a cat just walked across my keyboard, i strongly reject the sentence above.. .. ha ha

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3721216 - 02/02/05 08:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am GUILTY. 

I am guilty of letting my feelings get in the way of how I interpret those squiggle things on my computer screen that form the words that constitute the English language. 

I feel like an ass. 

:cuckoo:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order