Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Learning the bass
    #3718152 - 02/02/05 09:59 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well i recently picked up the bass and put down the guitar, and im getting pretty good. So far ive learned just about every single les claypool song except for damn colonel claypools bucket of bernie brains ( i cant find any tabs grr if ya know where to find em let me know ) so im pretty good at finger tapping, slapping and what not. but not i want to make some good tunes of my own. Any suggestions with proceeding with this? Perhaps some scales i should know or a helpful website? Thanks any help is appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Learning the bass [Re: CrazyShroomMan]
    #3718421 - 02/02/05 11:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

int his thread there are some links to sites where you can find scales :thumbup:

click for my music                  First release!   
        smooth chillout dub        Tales of the Green Dragon EP
prog psy and livesets                                       

older music: ambient and psydub

User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Learning the bass [Re: CrazyShroomMan]
    #3719755 - 02/02/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, learn some basic scales and theory.  major, natural minor, pentatonic, the blues scale and the circle of fifths/key signatures for starters.  then go through some songs/parts you know and figure out what key they're in, what the chord changes are and what scales are being used.

then work on ear training, using your ears to figure stuff out on your own is a very important skill to develop if you plan on being a good player.  the sooner you start, the better off you'll be, if you think it's too hard, it will only get easier as you work on it :wink:.  pick some easy melodies from tv commercials, your favorite music or whatever and learn to play them, without looking at a tab.

http://www.ossmann.com/bigears/ was invaluable to me when I started taking ear training classes (I was reeeally bad :smirk:), but it requires some knowledge of scales and intervals.

when it comes to making your own music, learning from tabs will set you back more than it helps you if you don't learn wtf you're doing musically at the same time.  I'd suggest a music theory class and/or good teacher if at all possible.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media