Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Cancer as a Hobby.....
    #3717091 - 02/02/05 12:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Perspectives, perspectives.... This is all going to depend on how you think of cancer or perhaps how it has effected your life....

Lets just say for the sake of discussion that you could keep cancer alive just by feeding it the right nutrients and correctly adjusting the environment in a "test tube" to sustain it's "life".... Would it be "Ethical" to raise and grow a collection of different types of cancers strictly as a hobby....? Not really to study how to make cures or how it effects man, but out of pure enjoyment of collecting and maintaining a "living garden of death".... A snake is a living organism as is cancer, and it is perfectly ok to collect and breed them - even if perhaps being more deadly..... In the plant world especially, it is the goal of the enthusiast to cross breed and create new species of hybrid plants.... How would ethics fit into purposely trying to create hybrid cancer species...? Again - purely out of hobby....

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3717103 - 02/02/05 12:45 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Unlike normal, healthy cells, cancer cells are potentially immortal. There may be a key hidden in there.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: Swami]
    #3717167 - 02/02/05 01:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

DaMMiT, I was going for mass chaos and debate here....    :mad: :grin:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3717178 - 02/02/05 01:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You are 92% less gimpy than WHAT? A comparison without an object makes no sense.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: Swami]
    #3717251 - 02/02/05 01:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It makes no sense as you perceive it because I am new to this forum....  My screen name used to be "GimpyTomCat" up until about 2 weeks ago....    :grin:

The other 8% is physical....

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3717529 - 02/02/05 03:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

people with cancer could restructure the experience and make it a ...

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: fresh313]
    #3718734 - 02/02/05 11:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the "HeLa cell line" is alive & doing well...
i cultivated some for a little while once upon a time...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: gnrm23]
    #3718768 - 02/02/05 11:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

is it ethical to keep a 'garden' of illegal psylocibin-producing mushrooms?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3719422 - 02/02/05 02:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Why would it be unethical?

A tumor outside of a host poses no threat to anyone. Cancer isn't contagious, or something that could just leap into your body.

Cancer is when some of your cells accidentally start growing too fast.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3719838 - 02/02/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

weird? yes

unethical? no, not in the least

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: jux]
    #3720143 - 02/02/05 04:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What about the cross breeding of cancer "species"....?  Never know whatcha~ gonna~ get when messin with genetics....

(I say it as if I know what I am talking about....)  :smirk:

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

#3720209 - 02/02/05 05:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

that doesn't make sense.

cancererous cells ARE the cells of the original organ, tissue, whatever. there are no species.

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #3720382 - 02/02/05 06:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Aaahhh shyt, yer~ right.... Cancer is a mutation of a cell that starts growing out of control..... It has been a long time since I had biology, but when I said cross breeding, that was not right line of thought.... I spoke before thinking.... Hhhmmmmm....

Would it be possible to interchange the inner working parts of different cancerous cells to create a new hybrid "type" of cancer....? Or would it "reject" the "foreign" substance like a body rejects a transplant....?

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... *DELETED* [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3720497 - 02/02/05 06:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: poke smot!]
    #3720562 - 02/02/05 06:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

And I can see: "DEA makes pineal gland an illegal narcotic" heh heh heh.

:lol:  So, in the eyes of the law, a cancerous pineal gland would be an analogue....?

MUST wait for that final extraction.....  DaMMiT....

Offlinegreenpastures
Stranger

#3720645 - 02/02/05 06:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

everyone should have thier own garden of death. for a while , i had a garden of extreme discomfort under my awning outside my trailer. on the ground? huge cactus. under the awning? huge wasp hive.

as for growing cancer? why not. people LOVED pet rocks. you can name it, pet it...

or do what most people do. wait a while. have a cig, grow your own.

--------------------
Do as i say. Do as i do.
Good. Now instead of eating a mushroom that is not yours. Eat the ones in the super market. Thanks. -droz
"German's love white rice."-droz

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3720798 - 02/02/05 07:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe when they find a cure for cancer cultivation of it as a hobby will be actualized. Untill then there will always be that death taboo.

Offlinegreenpastures
Stranger

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3721203 - 02/02/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

we can still have a garden of extreme discomfort though =D

--------------------
Do as i say. Do as i do.
Good. Now instead of eating a mushroom that is not yours. Eat the ones in the super market. Thanks. -droz
"German's love white rice."-droz

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: greenpastures]
    #3722094 - 02/02/05 10:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

:smirk:

I have not given my personal view upon this yet.... 

And if you don't care to read, pass on in peace.... 

I expose my wrists to the night, under a pale moon light....
I have a very close Uncle to me that is currently resisting with chemo an otherwise very quickly and strongly descending stomp into the ground with a bout of Prostate Cancer....  He actually found out by accident that he even had it, and by time he did, it had already spread and affixed itself to, for whatever reason, his spinal vertebrae....  One lump in his throat, and suddenly he cannot speak - and to his shocking realization he is no longer able to even swallow a sip of water any more....    It's purity, gone....    You have no idea the deeper meaning within that statement alone, nor how "water purification" truly played a roll in his life, but me touching on his contributions to PEOPLE on this earth would not do it justice....  He actually did make "a difference"..... 

Mid summer 2004 he was a healthy 260lb active mid 50's hockey player and Red Wings fan....    He does actually, or for the moment, did cross breed and created new species of exotic Orchids....  Their house is like museum like rain forest of exotic plants with some of the most beautiful blooming "specimens" and truly unique species of orchids that he had developed the skill to "fancy up" - with a very noted pride and passion I might add.... 

And ZZZzzzzziiiiiiinnnnnnnG, it is 4 months later and he is down to 157lbs a pale and very frail shell with feeding tubes hidden under the robe of a yet determined fighting man still stands proud, but for the first time in his life weeps, and does so with no shame.....  And we weep with him.... 

It is so incredibly disheartening to watch a man you respect to a high degree, Love, and witness him go thru such tribulations, pain and anguish at the hand of a simple cell within his body "deciding" to say "FUCK IT"....    What the FUCK is that shit....???    "FUCK IT"...???

My hatred towards his cancer makes me think in somewhat "disturbing" ways - at least for my thinking....  And it made me create this thread last night....  I thought, how "cool" it would be to collect the "living" cancer out of his body in one feld swoop, plop the bloody "living" death mutation soup into a dirty bucket....  A Bucket -O- Death, free from the confined of my uncle's embodyment....  A bucket I would rather enjoy "torturing" with salt, and pissing on it as my fuckin salute of "respect"....  Lighting that fuckin thing on fire and watching it burn and bubble and die in it's own death and charring hell.....  FUCK YOU....  BURN....

::::Deep Breath::::
Or, because "it" is actually a form of my Uncle, and an actual genetic mutation of himself, maybe "it" would be more suited a peaceful death....?  Perhaps the bucket of broken genetic material that was once a part of a bright and beautiful life should be respected as an accident, spread out and laid to rest on the dry concrete floor amongst~ the very exotic living beauty he had created within his own little constructed tropical "rain forest"....  How did this hell find it's way into so much beauty...?

As I was writing this, I actually got an e-mail from my mom JUST NOW about his condition.... 

"His energy level is still low.  Just recently sent me pictures of his orchids in bloom from the living room and kitchen.  I know he's anxious to get to his flowers downstairs but hasn't yet that I know of.  Maybe soon - being he's getting nutrition now."

OK, I'm out....

Sorry for the rage....
I know that his spirit is strong, I hope his body is strong enough to shed the dead living within him.....

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Cancer as a Hobby..... [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3724726 - 02/03/05 01:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry for making it real, I don't know what made me write all that last night....    My mind seemed to be focused for what ever reason, and rage seems to portray the feeling as I sit here and reread it today - not an emotion I usually succumb too, nor write about....  =)   

So back on topic....

Quote:

TheShroomHermit said:
Maybe when they find a cure for cancer cultivation of it as a hobby will be actualized. Untill then there will always be that death taboo.

Eeehhhh, "taboo" seems to be a strange thing....  The thought of collecting cancer and keeping it "alive" does seem a bit perverse - if put into an intentional perspective of keeping it alive to torture it....  But, does that in itself "justify" the taboo...?  Giving one the sense of power over something that has so much power itself...?  Torturing the actual living cause of death in itself for a form of satisfaction...?   

It has a cause, but no reason....  It has a face and a name burried deep within the code, and is alive, but more like "anti-life life"....  It is not plant, it is not an animal....    And it doesn't seem to be a "disease" or "malady" as the dictionary defines them....  Well, cancer can be termed as a "disorder" (as the dictionary defines "disease"), but it seems that "mutation" would be the better fitting term....    It is an "improbable" and mindless genetic mutation that *usually* outgrows it's host's ability to sustain life thru some sort of bodily system "suffocation".... 

So, a face and a name is provided by a host thru it's mutated/adultered but inherent original genetic code, it is mindless, and as swami implied earlier, it seems timeless and endless if given the chance to thrive....    But even though it is very much 99.999999999% of the original life it was intended to be, it still has no feeling, intentions, or intelligence - on the surface....  Crazy to think that a .0000000001% error in life's "balance" can cause such a "profoundly" spiraling domino effect....   

So MY theoretical "garden of death" would not be for appreciation as most hobbies serve, but it would be a contained dumpster of focused hatred....  :evil:   

In my mind, it justifies the taboo....   

Babble babble babble....    :grin:

--------------------

>^;;^<

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder