Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Bulk WBS thoughts...
    #3716665 - 02/01/05 11:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, while I was following some WBS teks, I got 10 pounds into it and decided things needed help. Now, I don't know if the tek was outdated (from shroomery)...and if people are already doing this, but it makes a whole lotta sense and figured I would shout out to someone who is thinking about WBS for the first time;

Depending on your quality of WBS, teks recommend "skimming off the floaters"...Makes a bunch of sense, seeing all the shit the floated to the top - most of it, I woulda never guess was hiding. Now the problem is, most bowls can only hold so much. I decided to switch to a 5 gallon bucket. Makes sense if you are going to PC the hell out of it the next day right?

As for rinsing, you still need a strainer. I found this to be a nice solution; go to a home improvement store or hardware store and pick up a $5 roll of insect screening. The stuff is pretty tuff with very nice mesh size. Lay it out over your kitchen sink, push it down into the sink so that it lines it. Leave a little extra on the ends, and cut that square or rectangle out.

Now dump your 5 gallon bucket into your sink. The water needs a little help getting to the drain, so you need to pick the screen up by it's 4 corners like a knapsack, and lift...watch as the water drains away.

For the next part, I used a garden hose - but you can probably get away with the sprayer attachment that most sinks have. I hosed the hell out of my knapsack, and watched as the draining water got relatively clean.

Next, I tied the sack's corners and rubber-banded them. Drop the whole thing into your 5 gallon bucket, and fill for a nice over-night soak.

Lift out your knapsack when you are ready, and give it another nice rinse.

Now you are ready to open your screen "bag", fill your jars or bags, and PC the hell out of them.

Just easier way to get from point A to point B in my opinion...bulk or otherwise.

'Doobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk WBS thoughts... [Re: ADoobie]
    #3716868 - 02/01/05 11:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A few extra comments...

I have a few decent sized PC's (10 1/2 quart jar size PCs)...you can throw in 10-20 pounds of grain in these and fill with water. This is particularly handy if you simmer...I soak and simmer right there. Personally I dont every even rinse my grain...scoop from the bag to the pan..fill with water...keep filled with water for 24 hours and then simmer in the same pot and water.

Then drain using a screen the way you described but I got 4 small PVC peices with corners and build a frame that fits just over the sink and the tub (just in case) and attached the screen with twist ties. Then you can just set it and forget it. Then still dont rinse since its hot from simmer the excess water will steam off.

And with WBS...while its on the screen over the sink is when I pour in the verm. You can mix it all up with a nice spoon and then shovel it into jars and into the PC as you do them up.

Nice post Doobie sir..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: Bulk WBS thoughts... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3716950 - 02/02/05 12:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks scat

He has a good point with the PVC. You have to let that stuff drain it's excess water for a while. If you don't want to go through the work of building a frame to suspend your draining pouch, go ahead and put a regular strainer on the bottom of you sink...then set your screen on top of that (make sure those corners are tied good!)...that will simply allow the water to drop out like it should.

The rinsing step is all up to you. I just don't like looking at the sort of greasy nasty water it has been sitting in all night, and I just can't help to think it has coated my wbs...

Then again, we are talking about putting the source of that greasy shit into a jar/bag for two weeks...I suppose it's going to be around anyhow. Ahh I just can't stand thinking about it though :smile:

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3716970 - 02/02/05 12:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah rinsing is definatly just preference...its mainly because I do like 20 pounds at a time and its enough work as it is and I found it to not really make a difference. Plus if you dont rinse after a simmer then draining is easier because the water all literally just steams off as you toss it in your giant screen strainer dealy...of course if your doing WBS you may not be simmering..that case I'd definatly suggest mixing with verm. Unless your just using it as spawn..wouldnt really matter then.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #3716981 - 02/02/05 12:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Why verm if no simmer?

I hate to simmer shit. So much room for error for the inexperienced ones

--------------------
ADoobie said:

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3716982 - 02/02/05 12:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

rinsing WBS is important imho. Otherwise after PC'ing you will end up with this sticky nasty shit on the bottom of your jars that wont colonize to easily.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk WBS thoughts... [Re: dobinky]
    #3717271 - 02/02/05 01:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Simmering adds more water content. Yes soaking does but you can tell when the WBS goes from 6 inches to 8 inches high in the pot after a simmer that it soaked up a good deal of water. That waters important if your casing the WBS straight. If you dont get the water from simmering, mixing in verm will help increase your water content of the WBS.

--------------------

OfflineHerbin_Legend
Stranger
    #3717337 - 02/02/05 01:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good information. What if you made your knapsack even before you soak. That way, its just straight to rinsing after the soak.

--------------------
"nothing is fool proof for fools are ingenious and will find a way" - Prisoner #1

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk WBS thoughts... [Re: Herbin_Legend]
    #3717353 - 02/02/05 02:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If that comment was directed at me and my mixture...you dont want to add verm at the begining..through the soak and simmer and straining and rinsing process in all that grain it will be squished and loose what makes it, it. Adding the dry verm after the soak (and simmer if you choose) while draining soaks up the excess water on the outside of the grains too so you know you have perfect water content (grains fully filled up on the inside with water but dry on the outside) for the grains and you have the verm to hold in some extra moisture for you..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates