Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Newbie Grower Questions
    #3716671 - 02/02/05 01:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Greetings everyone, this is my first post here; however, I've been secretly reading and lurking in the background for a few months :smile:  Anyways, almost two weeks ago I began my first *attempt* at growing some shrooms and I'm kind of worried that I did some things wrong...first of all, I read in one of the Teks that the vermiculite could be substitued with perlite, and since I couldn't find vermiculite, that's what I did.  I mixed perlite with BRF and added water (also a tad bit extra water with some honey for extra food).  I used the guide at www.shroomwizard.com.  I inoculated the jars and all, but I'm just curious to know whether or not I'm going to have to throw the jars away...here are my questions...

1. Is there a good chance that the perlite fucked up my whole experiment?

2. I let the jars cool down to room temperature, however I did NOT let them sit over night...they were cooling for about an hour.  Do you guys think there was too much heat in the jars (they were cooking in a pot for an hour on a simmering boil)?

3. I checked on my jars (I'm impatient :frown:) about a week after they were inoculated and on one of them there was a whiteish/greyish mold with a dark spot in the middle...is the dark spot some of the inoculated fluid (spore-solution) or do you think it's mold?  OR do you need pictures to answer?

4. Today I went to Lowe's and found some vermiculite (it does NOT say fine or course on the bag), but I'm not sure if it's the right type of vermiculite...it just says "horticultural vermiculite"...is that the wrong type?

Any input is greatly appreciated...this hobby really is a lot of fun...it's awesome doing an experiment like this and having a good turnout, that's why I want to redo the experiment 100% correctly next time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: Newbie Grower Questions [Re: Raspo]
    #3716733 - 02/02/05 01:16 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Raspo said:
Greetings everyone, this is my first post here;

Welcome!

first of all, I read in one of the Teks that the vermiculite could be substitued with perlite, and since I couldn't find vermiculite, that's what I did.  I mixed perlite with BRF and added water (also a tad bit extra water with some honey for extra food).

Well, cruise the grow guides around here. I didn't read the whole thing, but it seems to have some rather un-Orthodox ideas. On the note of perlite, I have heard it working...but generally, you are much safer with verm.

1. Is there a good chance that the perlite fucked up my whole experiment?

Nah. Probably didn't help, but my guess is you made much larger mistakes in other areas. It's okay though, tis how you get better!

2. I let the jars cool down to room temperature, however I did NOT let them sit over night...they were cooling for about an hour.  Do you guys think there was too much heat in the jars (they were cooking in a pot for an hour on a simmering boil)?

Really, only you can tell. Sounds like the middle might have been a bit warm, but honestly you should really let them cool.

3. I checked on my jars (I'm impatient :frown:) about a week after they were inoculated and on one of them there was a whiteish/greyish mold

GOOD!

with a dark spot in the middle...

BAAAD!

4. Today I went to Lowe's and found some vermiculite (it does NOT say fine or course on the bag), but I'm not sure if it's the right type of vermiculite...it just says "horticultural vermiculite"...is that the wrong type?

Nope, you are good to go.

Any input is greatly appreciated...this hobby really is a lot of fun...it's awesome doing an experiment like this and having a good turnout, that's why I want to redo the experiment 100% correctly next time.

Good attitude!

As for where you might have gone wrong, one must first read that tek you linked to, then find out where you differed and how...that would be a start...but I can't go there tonight, sorry bud. Homework is still due :frown:...but you will get some help quick I'm sure. Good luck!

'Doobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Newbie Grower Questions [Re: Raspo]
    #3716805 - 02/02/05 01:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

1. Perhaps you will still get growth though. You may need to spawn or case this as I doubt the perlite holds enough moisture for a good fruiting. The purpose of perlite is to drain water and create air pockets in soil...

2. An hour cooking time is too short IMO, but it may work this time for you. Watch for contamination. If the jars were cool to the touch, they could still be warm in the center, but you were probably ok if they were room temperature...

3. Probably mold. Throw it out.

4. That is the right type, provided the size is good. "Pea sized" is about right...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation