Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores.
    #3715335 - 02/01/05 07:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Know thy enemy, it has been said.

So, after a few hours of reading and hunting, i've come to know bacillus quite well.
It's an interesting genus....hardy little bastards, and useful to grains during their growth.

Unfortunately, upon harvest, they turn into endospores.  Which is no good.

Fractioanl sterilization, as mentioned on this site (first page on google too :smile: )
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23372

Substrate is cracked corn, a bit of a headache, as the endospore content is wildly variable (IME) from sack to sack.

Now, mediocre results have been achieved using simmer and PC methods, which i attribute to endospore germination post-cooking.
Bacillus overruns the jars.  Soaking the cracked corn gives inadequate moisture content.
I intend to experiment with this over the next week, in an attempt to find the optimal way to ensure maximum germination/destruction of the endospores.

My idea is thus:
1: simmer the corn, place in warm environment overnight.
2: boil for 30 minutes
3: re-incubate overnight
4: PC for a time appropriate to volume.

Any opinions?  Do you think this is necessary?  One of my concerns is actual cooking of the substrate in long-PC situations, and one of the goals is to reduce endospore/bacterial content so as to lessen PC time requirements in larger jar sizes.

Just trying to perfect the substrate....it's cheap, readily availible, fruits decently, and mycellium eats it like nothing i've ever seen.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3716423 - 02/01/05 10:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I've gone through about 75 pounds of cracked corn and had little success. My method was simmering for 25-30 minutes, rinse, drain for 20-30 minutes, then pcing for 1 hour. I've found shelled corn to be quite good though. I hope to hear how it all works out for you, as cracked corn is very cheap, about $7 for 50 pounds here.

--------------------

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: pshawny]
    #3717138 - 02/02/05 01:00 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

randolph this is indeed a good idea.

making spawnbags, i turned to soak/simmer/drain, then load the bags
and let they stand around for 12 hours at warm roomtemp prior to pcing.

this has left me with a zero contam ratio.
my only concern was that the grains could sprout, which they luckyly didnt so far.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: ohmatic]
    #3718334 - 02/02/05 09:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I don't really understand all this fuss. Wheat, rye, and millet all work great by simply soaking overnight, draining and sterilizing. Always consistant and I can't remember any wetspot outbreaks by me.

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? Why are you guys fussing by using an obviously inferior product (versus any of the grains listed above)?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: pshawny]
    #3718360 - 02/02/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yup, they are tough sumbitches to kill off. Good article on how tough they are: CLICK HERE:

--------------------

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: agar]
    #3718491 - 02/02/05 10:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well by preparing my bags this way i am 100% sterile.
by just pcing them after draining, i encounter contams.

it sure works for me mates, it sure does.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3718508 - 02/02/05 10:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
I don't really understand all this fuss.  Wheat, rye, and millet all work great by simply soaking overnight, draining and sterilizing.  Always consistant and I can't remember any wetspot outbreaks by me. 

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  Why are you guys fussing by using an obviously inferior product (versus any of the grains listed above)?

I some what agree with this statemnt , a little rough on the edges but correct IMHO . I think no matter what one does ... corn will always be pron to high contam rates . IMHO it is the water content that corn holds that is the source more than the endospores and such , and the exsessively high starches and sugars that invite nasties in like an old friend .:puke:
Nothing beats wbs or custom grain mixes IMHO , and nasties are much easier to keep in check IMO .

GL to all... no matter what their choice . :thumbup: It is all about learning new things is it not ?

:mushroom2:"May The Mushroom Goddess Bless All Your Endeavors!" :mushroom2:

PS you forgot Milo in that list , and recently I discovered Groats are a fine additive to the mix . And I have been lucky I guess , I never do the old soak and strain method and have had very good contam ratio , like 1 bad for every 15-20 good ones . And that probably happend more from never using a FH or GB . Still damn good IMHO  :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: tripndicular]
    #3719306 - 02/02/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I use cracked corn cause you can buy it very cheap as cattle feed.
If you simmer it first then let cool for 12 -24 hours and PC afterwards
you won't have a problem with contams ( or at least I do not have any :smile: ).

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3720205 - 02/02/05 05:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm fussing with it for several reasons. Firstly, you can get 50 freakin pounds(DRY) of it for like, 7 dollars. Secondly, it grows mycellium faster than anything i've ever seen. It's bloody well amazing. Thirdly, i have nothing better to do right now, and felt like tweaking the procedure.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Fractional sterilization and PC use: Specifically against Bacillus spp. endospores. [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3721438 - 02/02/05 08:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Exactly !!! If it wasn't for experimenting with different things this hobby wouldn't be anywhere near what it is today.

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3722516 - 02/02/05 11:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I had a friend that used fractional sterilization for both popcorn and WBS using the steaming method (3 days in a row, 1.5-2 hours a day). It worked wonderfully for him, and amazed me. He never had a bad batch. I have never considered it, although it possibly would be a good idea when my PC is packed full of large bags...

I might do this while I perfect my supplemented popcorn blocks...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds