Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineibreaktheglass
Stranger
First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics)
    #3716349 - 02/02/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hello again. Thought I'd share my precious with everyone else. This is my first grow, and coincidentally, this puppy was the very first to be picked:

I'm quite proud of her. She's a mexi-cube. Wet weight is just under 55g. That's equivalent to about 5.5 dried, right? I was planning on splitting the fruits of my labor with a friend or two tomorrow night at a concert. My favorite band ever is coming to town tomorrow, and I'm taking this little bit of timely growth as a sign. What do you guys think? (I've tripped in public before, so thats no worry. Plus the vibes should be really positive and pleasant regardless.)

My only problem is that other than this one, her baby sister, and a few aborts, I'm not seeing a whole lot of growth on the other 8 cakes. It's been about a week since birthing. This one already pinned to a decent size during incubation. I'm hoping that I'm just being paranoid, and figure I just gotta give it more time. Obviously the conditions are pretty good otherwise, eh?  :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics) [Re: ibreaktheglass]
    #3716361 - 02/02/05 12:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

eat it. eat it.

do it. do it.

nice shroom. hope I get one that nice

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder
    #3716367 - 02/02/05 12:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You should have made a print with that sporocap, or else picked it a little sooner. It's potency stops increasing after the veil breaks. Nice cap, though! The others will be along shortly, be patient.

--------------------

:murray:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics) [Re: blissedout]
    #3716375 - 02/02/05 12:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey blissed...that's not a proven fact just so you know...It's a good Theory, but that's all it is...

And you def. should have take a print :laugh:

-Gnostic

Offlineschwank167
Crack Head
 User Gallery
    #3716380 - 02/02/05 12:13 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

that thing is sweet man my crappy one cake isnt even pinning, good luck

Offlineibreaktheglass
Stranger
    #3716412 - 02/02/05 12:18 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blissedout said:
You should have made a print with that sporocap, or else picked it a little sooner. It's potency stops increasing after the veil breaks. Nice cap, though! The others will be along shortly, be patient.

Thanks man. I was gonna pick it last night before it broke, but decided to hold out a bit longer. Then I go to check the PMP a couple hours ago, and waddaya know...poof! Hehe. It's gotten a lot bigger since then too.

I don't do prints yet though. I'd probablay screw it up, so I'll stick to ralphsters for syringes at least for a little while.

Now, should I dunk this cake again? All the other pins (4 or 5) became aborts. Is it better to see if it will flush out more, or would that be considered the first whole flush for that cake?

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics) [Re: schwank167]
    #3716418 - 02/02/05 12:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Awww! Just because you only have one cake, doesn't make it crappy!! Bad shroomer, bad!! :whack:

Agnostic, I know it is still only a theory, but it is a viable one that makes since.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3716473 - 02/02/05 12:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

To me it makes no sense as to why it would stop production of some chemicals and not others. It doesnt stop all chemicals or it wouldnt continue to grow. I still dont buy it..

Pretty shrooms!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3716498 - 02/02/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My take on it is this: I think that all the life energy that goes into growth is directly related to psilocybin production. When the veil breaks, all of the energy is redirected towards reproduction and I don't beleive that this is related to psilocybin, at all. I could be horribly wrong, and it would be cool if I was. This is just my half-cocked theory. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

#3716547 - 02/02/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a newb, so I could be wrong, but don't they continue to grow after the veil breaks? If so, and psilocybin production has slowed or stopped by that time, then the psilocybin that's in the mushroom at that time is still about the same amount of psilocybin that's in it after it gets bigger. Only now, the psilocybin is spread out in a larger amount of mass. The same amount is there, but you have to eat more shroom to get it. Hence, the shroom is less potent.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3716565 - 02/02/05 12:49 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, this is off-topic but...
I think there is much validity in the above statement. It is pretty much agreed upon that smaller specimens are more mature (especially aborts). This is why I believe production may slow down or stop. There is no reduction, just an increase in biomass to alkaloid content ratio. It makes sense that the formation of spores while the cap expands would be taxing. Who knows if this happens or why.

I thought there was a paper that stated younger specimens were found to have more Psilocin/psilocybin?

I dont care one way or the other. I pick em mature, or immature.
I would rather have the possibility that the alkaloids are still produced, than have it stop. You really have nothing to lose, but you gain more shroom and will maximize total yield from cake/casing...

Congratulations on an excellent first mushroom. It was bigger than the first ones I harvested...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Re: First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics) [Re: ATWAR]
    #3716603 - 02/02/05 12:57 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That is exactly what I think. Good way of putting it.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3716836 - 02/02/05 01:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm putting myself in the mushrooms head and thinking, why do I produce psilocybin? What sort of reason would the mushroom have to produce this product, especially for only the first part of its life and then why would spores dropping trigger this to stop unless psilocybin had anything to do with reproduction. But I dont see how it does. I mean its possible that its put there as a deterant, or even the oppisite, as an attractive quality. Then you could argue that at the point of dropping spores (which happens about 24 hours after the veil breaks BTW so wouldnt you say just after, like 12 hours, the veil breaks instead of right before is optimal?) that that signals the end of the mushrooms life cycle but then why then would it keep growing? Reproduction is a goal, but so is self preservation..if it continues to grow and the spores dont signal its time to die then why would it which to stop producing psilocybin as a deterant? And if its meant to attract then why would it be producing the attractive chemical before spores are dropped and it carries out its life cycle? Then theres the possibility that the mushrooms just produce these active chemicals as a by product..like a waste..just by living..but again..if they continue to grow, why would production stop? From the mushrooms point of view..it just doesnt make sense to me.

There may be some validness to the whole spore production taking energy from the mushroom while producing spores but that doesnt mean active content stops or would slow for more then a few hours or a day or so or would slow that much. And based on personal experience of always waiting until caps are fully open and pretty much flat..and having many many happy people with them and compliments of the strongest theyve ever had...if production does slow, its a very very small amount worth the extra amount. I've eaten aborts a number of times too and fed plenty to people. There has been no differences noted..

Personally I think it all stems from really large mature mushrooms not giving people the kick they expected due to excess water. Often people wont use the best drying methods to get them cracker dry, big ones are tougher to dry too so they can be slightly bendy but still snappy and have a bit of water in them making you take less then you think. Just a notion though..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: First timer's grow. HUGE shroom. (Pics) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3717082 - 02/02/05 02:40 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It really doesn't make sense to me either, but it is still possible.
With production of spores, that is the end of life. It could make sense that all the mushroom wants to do is get as many spores out as quickly as possible. It may stop everything (even growth usually stops, just repositioning of tissue) to focus solely on the production spores, who knows?

I personally have noticed a difference when I harvest mushrooms when they are very small (early bloomers). These are generally more potent than the mature specimens IME, but the larger ones are still potent. It is difficult to judge, but I believe there may be some validity in at least part of the potency debate...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlineibreaktheglass
Stranger
    #3717143 - 02/02/05 03:01 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Regardless of all this debate, I'm gonna trip my nuts off tomorrow. :nut:

Hehe. Serious though. Is that considered a whole flush or should I wait for more before dunking?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#3717152 - 02/02/05 03:04 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Exactly,
The difference is negligable IMO.

If there  are no pins  on it, dunk it and wait for more
:thumbup:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlineknucklez
Newb Shroomer

#3717218 - 02/02/05 03:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

wow

--------------------
Roll em 7 and 11's.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation