Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Camellia sinensis - Theobromine UPDATE 2/6
    #3715972 - 02/01/05 09:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The chemical in chocolate thats poisonous to dogs. Also a chemical found in Green Tea.

What is green tea and how is it different?
There are three main varieties of tea -- green, black, and oolong. Green, black, and oolong tea are all derived from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. The difference between the teas is in their processing. Green tea is prepared from unfermented leaves, the leaves of oolong tea are partially fermented, and black tea is fully fermented. The more the leaves are fermented, the lower the polyphenol content and the higher the caffeine content. Green tea is made from unfermented leaves and is reputed to contain the highest concentration of polyphenols, chemicals that act as powerful antioxidants. Black tea has roughly two to three times the caffeine content of green tea.

Polyphenols contained in teas are classified as catechins. Green tea contains six primary catechin compounds: catechin, gallaogatechin, epicatechin, epigallocatechin, epicatechin gallate, and apigallocatechin gallate (also known as EGCG). EGCG is considered to be the most active component in green tea and is the best researched of all the green tea polyphenols. Green tea also contains alkaloids including caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. These alkaloids provide green tea's stimulant effects.

Green tea contains roughly 30% to 40% polyphenols while black tea contains only 3% to 10% polyphenols. Green and black teas are the same plant processed in a different way. This difference in processing results in more of the polyphenols being destroyed in the black teas. Green teas therefore seem to have more of the beneficial effects mentioned, but black teas still retain some of the benefits

Taken from http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/greentea.html

So coming to the conclusion that Green Tea has active alkaloids in it such as Theobromine and Theophylline.

Link to a post I made. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Garden&Number=3646834

There was many contraindictions to if there were any noticeable effects from theobromine and theophylline, today im here to prove my experiences.

Experiment.
I added 16 grams(1.6 grams a bag, 10 bags) of fresh Green Tea which I just bought at a local health food store, into a 1/2 pint canning jar, and filled it 3/4 the way with 91% iso-propyl. I proceeded to heavily aggitate the liquid for about 5 minutes, and then let sit overnight, where in the morning it was heavily aggitated again for a good 5 minutes, then left to sit till that evening where it was placed in 2 petri-dishes to evap. By the following morning it was still liquidy so I decided to give it another 24 hours. After 24 had passed I scaped up the resinous dark green goop from the petri dishes, and proceeded to consume 1/10 of the final product.

Effects did not kick in for a solid 15 minutes, where I then had a sudden rush of energy, and the biggest smile went across my face. I once again felt extremely expressful and rejuvinated. I headed to class and had a beautiful day, I especially enjoyed my culinary class.

I felt a very euphoric high during the first 20 minutes, and then it mellowed out to a steady buzz of energy and feelings of happyness.

No negative effects were reported for this day, but during other experiments including smoking the extract with tobacco out of a water pipe resulted in mild nausea which was soon cured by my friend mary who glistened my water pipe bowl with beautiful amber skunk trichomes.

Mary seemed to cure any noticeable negative effects produced by theobromine and theophylline.

End of Experiment.

Medical Contraindictions taken from different articles state that excessive use of theophylline maybe be hazardous to fertility, and excessive use of theobromine caused testicular atrophy in lab rats, which is shrinkage of the balls for all you stoners.

Comments? Questions?

Edited by ShroomieOfDoomie (02/06/05 01:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3716313 - 02/01/05 10:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'de also like to add that a study was taken, and that in 1980, the average amount of theobromine that was ingested per person, per day, was 39mg. Being as theobromine is an active alkaloid, it would effect your state of conciousness. How do you think this is effecting us as far as our actions and our lives?

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #3716385 - 02/01/05 10:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup: Great experiment! This is kinda like a "tea bong" or "tea funnel". Or even "parachuting".  Very quick consumption of a single dose, tea instead of beer. Of course, that analogy extends to everindulgence. I'd bet that if you took 1/2 of the 10-bag extract you wouldn't be having such a good time. Anyway, thanks for posting and keep up the experiments. :smile: Peace!

Oh and did the alcohol also extract the caffeine? Cuz that was probably in more abundance than the theobromine and would be resonsible for many the effects.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3716419 - 02/01/05 10:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am aware that caffeine is accounting for a large amount of the experience, but being as I have experienced large amounts of caffeine, that this was far beyond the powers of that alkaloid. Theobromine and Theophylline were showing quite apparent effects, shedding down a positive attitude.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #3716428 - 02/01/05 10:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Not to mention a kind of euphoria ive never felt, kind of like a salvia trip coming on, but without that restraint feeling, just a mild tingly buzz around the edges of my body.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
    #3718511 - 02/02/05 10:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

is it worth doing again?

anyways, have you thought about trying cocoa tea? making some potent coke tea, now that would be really interesting.

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: JCoke]
    #3718750 - 02/02/05 11:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would do it again, and plan to tomorrow.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #3718986 - 02/02/05 12:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Cool, please post your experience back in this thread. Peace!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3719001 - 02/02/05 12:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the "caffeine alkaloids" (actually xanthines with multiple methyl group additions) are a group of related chemicals...
caffeine
theophylline
theobromine
guaranine
(a trimethyl, two dimethyl, & one tetramethylxanthine)

there are other chmicals in coffee beans, kola nuts, tea leaves, mate leaves, cocoa beans, & the other "caffeine beverages" --- essential oils, other amino acid & alkaoids factors, strange opiate & sedative & euphoriant fractions, etc...

yaddayadda/gnrmi

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
    #3719017 - 02/02/05 12:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

JCoke said:

cocoa tea?
coke tea

cocoa & coca are from two entirely different plants, mmmmkay?

damn, it's way past time for a li'l chaw of cocaleaf...

--------------------
not old enough to care

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: gnrm23]
    #3719184 - 02/02/05 01:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

gnrm23 - thanks for that lovely addition to my lecture and experiment on green tea. As far as opiate effects, I would have to disagree. The effects of theobromine and theophylline are far more stimulating in recreational doses, and only somewhat sedative in smaller doses.

I too confused cocoa and coca once upon a time. It's no biggie, just study more before you look like a foolio.

I will post my experience tomorrow, I feel tomorrow is going to be a Green Tea Hash day. I have decided im going to mix kief with the resin until its a solid. This should be interesting.

I was also planning on making some herbal high enhancers that could be powdered or made into resin and added to your bowl of goodies for an extra-good time, maybe sell these as a vendor on the shroomery. I have been researching alot of cousin-chemicals to tetrahydrocannabinol, which are legal and more easily accessable. I will post more threads of this and the Green Tea experiments as time does progress.

SoD

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
    #3719891 - 02/02/05 03:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gnrm23 said:
Quote:

JCoke said:

cocoa tea?
coke tea

cocoa & coca are from two entirely different plants, mmmmkay?

damn, it's way past time for a li'l chaw of cocaleaf...

http://www.peruconnections.com/inkatea/faq.html

"This is a very important question. The two substances are extremely different.Cocaine requires processing and contains nearly 99% of cocaine (the name of the active alkaloid). Coca is non-processed and contains 0.4% of this alkaloid."

my bad, you think you can try coca tea and get pure cocaine?

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Edited by JCoke (02/02/05 04:05 PM)

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
    #3723019 - 02/03/05 01:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

how does fermentign make the tea have more caffiene?? seems it would lessin the content.

thanks

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: the man]
    #3723944 - 02/03/05 08:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

sedative/opiate/yadda

well, the "opiate" effect is alleged to be from some very minor constituents of coffee beans (& NOT from the caffeine, to be sure...)

& the "sedative" effect from tea is not from the theophylline, but from some sort of amino acid derivative called "L-theaine" (sp?)

& the calming effect from a nice cuppa cocoa (hot shokolade, nyet?) is prolly from the amino acid tryptophane (from the milk, ok?), although cocoa beans do have a very intersting collection of oddbal chemicals in 'em ---(phenylalaine? anandamide? & wha?) (& jonathan ott wrote an excellent (& very informative & funny!) little book on being "a chocholate addict" :wink: ...)

~

& as for the coca tea, whaddya mean "pure cocaine" - why bother extracting to coca paste or purifying to pharmaceutical grade cocaine hydrochloride, when just chewing a few grams of leaf gives one a wonderful lift for a couple hours (& is prolly so much more healthful than snorting, smoking, or shooting up some white powder, no?)

but i'm sure that you could do an extraction - the methods are out there (i'm sure you could find the method "flowchart" online somewhere 9ummmm, utfse? or sumfin)...
lessee, buncha leaves, some kerosene, some lye, maybe some muriatic acid, some water, & a barefoot kid to wade through the mess in a bathtub...

naaaah, just chew the leaves...

but talk of coca is a bit off-topics

--------------------
not old enough to care

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #3724339 - 02/03/05 11:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"barefoot kid to wade through the mess in a bathtub..."
:lol:

Anyways...I took 1/2 of the original amount (5 tea bags worth), I feel fine but really hyper, maybe a little too hyper for my usual self. I definately have an uplifted attitude, I feel great and motivational. And the body high is alot more intense. I dont think anymore than 5 tea bags worth is needed, this is going to be maxed point, I wont ingest any larger than this.

This about concludes my experiment, I would rather not find the overdose level.

SoD

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3729555 - 02/04/05 09:22 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you really want to know about chocolate then read the difinitive work on the subject matter by the leading expert in the field of chocolate and other entheogenic plants.

The Cacahuatl Eater: Ruminations of an Unabashed Chocolate Addict
by Ott, Jonathan,

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (02/04/05 10:18 AM)

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3729645 - 02/04/05 09:52 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Green tea has made me puke the 4 times I've tried it. I feel no real nausea, but about half an hour after drinking it I invariably puke. Weird.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: deafpanda]
    #3740844 - 02/06/05 01:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well last night I smoked a higher amount than usual without testing exactly the weight or %, but it was alot. I smoked some on top of a bowl of skunk, then smoked some again later on a bowl of some skunk, after about an hour had passed i started to fizzy dizzy, and slowly entered a kind of dream-like state as with mushrooms. When i closed my eyes it was kinda like they were still open, or i was picturing what the world was like with my eyes open. I had green dots appearing all over my walls and shadows on the wall were stretching and moving, color enhancements were amazingly bright, so bright that it actualy hurt my eyes looking at a few objects, as they were intense and bright. I finaly fell asleep and had a very vivid and intensely visualistic dream! It was amazing, everyone should try making some extractions with green tea and putting it over your good stuff... It bubbles when its cooked and makes your bowl taste like tea... I decided this morning to add a little opiates and kief to the extraction, I think ill call it Black Tea Bubble Hash, im gonna try it in a few hours when the game starts.

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

#3745871 - 02/07/05 02:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What about white tea? White tea is also camellia sinensis, but contains higher levels of xanthines and all chemicals than green or black tea. White tea is the first cutting of the sinensis plant and undergos the most simple drying process. If green tea is giving you effects, white tea will surely give you more.

--------------------
^ Above post is complete fiction. ^

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: rockstafarian]
    #3747458 - 02/07/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am currently looking into this.

Yesterday I popped 2 large cyanescens caps and smoked some of this hash, I don't think ive ever had such an intense body high except the time I ate a fresh ounce of cyans.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3747509 - 02/07/05 08:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was just searching for this book a few minutes ago and then found this thread. The text is well out of print. Is it available online anywhere, MJ?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3750603 - 02/08/05 10:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Chocolate--America's Foremost Addiction

We are going to discuss a subject dear to the hearts of many people -- young and old alike: chocolate. There are chocolate Easter bunnies, chocolate images of Santa Claus, and chocolate is given to millions of sweet-toothed sweet hearts on Valentine's Day. Legions of chocolate bars in their enticing wrappers line the candy counters of stores and beckon to the tastebuds of the general populace.

Chocolate is a solid or semi-solid substance prepared by the fine grinding of roasted, shelled beans of the cacao or cocoa tree. As the beans are ground, a free-flowing liquid is produced. This liquid, called chocolate liquor, is the basis for all chocolate products.

The word "Chocolate" is derived from the Native Mexican term "chocolate," the name for the drink prepared from the seeds of the caucauatl (Theobroma cacao). The Spaniards called the plant "cacao," and in 1720, Linnaeus, the great Swedish botanical taxonomist, named the plant "Theobroma Cacao." Theobroma is Greek for "Food of the gods" (Chatt 1953, p. vii; Minifie, 1970, p. 1).

Fossil Theobroma specimens have been reported from the Pliocene era in Venezuela (Chatt, 1953, p. 1).

According to the large commercial chocolate company, Baker's chocolate is:

(1) The solid or plastic mass produced by grinding to fineness the kernel of the roasted seeds of Theobroma Cacao without removing any of the fat; sometimes called 'Plain Chocolate,' or 'Bitter Chocolate'; (2) the same product to which have been added sugar and various flavoring substances, sometimes known as 'Sweet Chocolate,' or 'Vanilla Chocolate.'

Baker's definition of cocoa is:

the commercial name given to (1) the seeds of the small tropical tree known to botanists as Theobroma Cacao; (2) to the cracked or coarsely ground product of the roasted seeds, sometimes designated more particularly as 'Cocoa-nibs,' or 'Cracked Cocoa'; (3) to the finely pulverized product of the roasted seeds from which a portion of the fat has been removed, sometimes designated as 'Breakfast Cocoa,' or 'powdered Cocoa.'(Baker, 1901, p. 7)

The cocoa bean, the principal ingredient in chocolate, does not grow on the North American continent. It is a "native of the dense tropical Amazon forests where it flourishes in the semi-shade and high humidities, but wild varieties also occur from Mexico to Peru" (Minifie, 1970, p. 1). Each year thousands of tons of cocoa beans are imported into the United States for the manufacture of chocolate. This does not include all the finished chocolate products that are also imported.

The Mayas of Yucatan and the Aztecs of Mexico cultivated cocoa long before its introduction to Europe, and Montezuma, Emperor of the Aztecs, is stated to have consumed regularly a preparation called 'Chocolatl' made by roasting and grinding the cocoa nibs, followed by mashing with water, maize and spice flavours. (Minifie, 1970, p. 1)

The Aztecs believed that the cacao tree was a present from the enlightened beings of Paradise, transported to them by Quetzalcoatl, the Plumed Serpent, Deity of the Air (Chatt, 1953, p. 1).

Columbus brought the cacao bean from America to Europe on his fourth voyage (Encyclopedia Britannica, 1973).

In 1502, Columbus saw a cargo of cocoa beans traded off the coast of Honduras, and bought them to send back to Spain as curiosities. A fellow countryman of Columbus's (Don Cortes) saw commercial possibilities in the beans and sent them to Spain with recipes for their preparation (Chatt, 1953, p. 1, and Minifie, 1970, p. 1). When the Spaniards took over the palaces of Montezuma, they found vast hoards of cacao beans, and one of the chroniclers who accompanied Cortez, Bernal Diaz, wrote in 1568 that the Emperor had his servants prepare 50 jars of chocolate, flavored with vanilla and other spices and whipped to the consistency of honey, for his own personal use in one day! The Emperor's household used 2,000 jars of the mixture daily -- a group of advanced chocoholics.

The Spaniards were the ones who added sugar to the cacao concoction, for the original Montezuma recipe was too bitter for them. Their chocolate drink recipe was closely guarded as a secret for over 100 years, and they would send prepared cakes (the sugar being obtained from their sugar mills established in Mexico during the 1520's) for use in beverages to the customers on their trade routes. One time, a Spanish cargo was captured by a Dutch ship, and upon discovering the cacao cakes, they threw them into the ocean, for they found them to be unpleasant to the taste. (These men were probably the ancestors of later Dutch chocolate manufacturers doing themselves a favor.) Although the Spaniards were very secretive about their cocoa process, other explorers learned about the cacao bean and soon the cacao bean became very popular in the royal courts.

By the 17th century, cocoa was being consumed by the courts of Spain, England, Italy, France and Holland. It was too good for the peasants. In London, England, the arose "chocolate houses," places where the elite of the city could gather to drink chocolate. Samuel Pepys, exchecquer to the Earl of Sandwich, wrote in his secret diary of 1664 that was found years later in the wall of an old house, that chocolate was "only for the wealthy." Perhaps herein lies one of the secrets of chocolate's attractions: that, although the taste was somewhat unacceptable, it was a status symbol to ingest chocolate as did Royalty.

Many opinions pertaining to the virtues and vices of chocolate circulated among nobility. We examined one such collection of views in a microfilm of a manuscript printed in 1640 in England, but originally written in Spanish in 1631. It is entitled, A Curious Treatise of the Nature and Quality of Chocolate, by Antonio Colmenero, Doctor of Physicke and Chirurgery. It was sanctioned by Melchor de Lara, "Physician Generall for the Kingdom of Spaine." Lara says that the manuscript "contains nothing contrary to good manners, and it cannot but be very pleasing to those who are affected to chocolate." John de Mena, "Doctor in Physick and Physician to His Majesty, King of Spain," also approved of Colmenero's Treatise. Here are a few excerpts from that work:

Opinions

"The number is so great of those, who, in these times, drink chocolate... not only in the Indies, where the drink originated, but it is also much used in Spain, Italy, and Flanders, particularly at the court...some speak diversely of it... some saying, that it is stopping [constipating]: others, and those the greater part, that it makes one fat, others that the use of it strengthens the stomach, others that it heats, and burns them [heartburn]... A Physician of Marchena says chocolate is stopping because cacao is cold and dry...it is obstructive...it causeth opilations...

Preparation

". . to every 100 cacaos, you must put 2 pods of the long red pepper (cayenne)... a handful of anise seeds... logwood... cinnamon...sugar...achiote...

Obesity and Liver Trouble Relating to Chocolate in 1631

". . so that [he] that drinks much chocolate which hath fat parts, cannot make a distribution of so great a quantity to all the parts, and that that part which remains in the slender veins of the liver, must needs causes opilations and obstructions...To avoid this inconvenience, you must take only 5 or 6 ounces, or if choleric, take with distilled water of endive, if liver is obstructed, take rhubarb. [dote and antidote] ... chocolate makes them fat because they are hot and dry in the third degree... many unctuous parts which I have proved to be in the cacao, are those which pinguify and make fat... "

Page 20 of the manuscript tells the reader not to drink the dregs in the cocoa cup for they are of a "melancholy nature" (Colmenero, 1631).

By the beginning of the nineteenth century, there were chocolate factories all over Europe. The advance of technology introduced many new methods of processing the cacao bean. Usually, the factories produced drinking chocolate, without removing any of the fat of the cacao bean, but diluted it with a starchy material such as maize, as the Aztecs had done. Later, it became customary to use arrowroot as the starch to dilute the fat. (The British Navy drinks this type of cocoa to this day.)

"In 1828, the Dutch firm of Van Houten took out a patent for the manufacture of 'chocolate powder... (Chatt, 1953, p. 10). This was the ground bean with two thirds of the fat removed. In 1847 and 1849, a new use was found for the expressed fat of the cocoa bean: it was combined with sugar and cacao and exhibited by Messrs. Fry and Sons and Cadbury Bros., two popular London firms, as "eating chocolate."

The door to adulteration of chocolate was now open. Everything from potato starch to mineral powders appeared in chocolate bars. A practice of adding bicarbonate of soda to cocoa powder is now almost universal, and was started by C. J. Van Houten in 1828. This alkalization allowed particles of cocoa powder to stay in suspension of solution longer while adding a rich, dark color to the cocoa (Chatt, 1953, p. 10). Today, we can find potassium or sodium carbonate, sodium or potassium bicarbonate, potassium or sodium hydroxide, or ammonium carbonate or hydroxide added to the chocolate liquor for "improvement" in texture and color of the finished product during alkalization. (Alkalization is also known as "Dutched" chocolate.) (Minifie, 1970, p. 38).

M. D. Peter invented milk chocolate in 1876 in Switzerland. The chocolate trade would go beyond the realm of sensibility.

A Word on Chocolate Processing

Chocolate is a highly overprocessed, devitalized, dead food. It is also highly toxic. There are so many steps that a cacao bean must take to become a chocolate bar, that we felt it necessary to present here a diagram of the various steps. There is no doubt that chocolate bars are not wholesome foods. If you do not believe this, take your chocolate bars out into the garden, plant them in a row of earth, water them and wait for them to sprout.

The first step in processing is called: THE DEATH OF THE BEAN. In this step, the bean is fermented and the rise in temperature of alcohol and acetic acid in the pulp are contributing factors to "killing the bean" or "killing the germ" (Minifie, 1970, pp. 1081 09).

Here is the cocoa and chocolate factory flow sheet according to Minifie.

The Usual Sequence of Procedures (Chatt, 1953, p. 133)

Hazards of bacterial infestation can occur during the various steps of the factory processing beginning from moth infestation of the beans during cleaning to mold infection of the equipment during the manufacture of cocoa powder (although the manufacturers say that the mold infection is not usually significant enough to alter the taste of the finished product). Many fumigatory procedures are used during the process; but the worst painful reality about chocolate is the survival of the parasite Salmonella (found in contaminated dairy products) to the very end of the chocolate process into the finished box of Valentine candy! (Not to mention the high incidence of rancid oils from quickly spoiling nuts and fats used in certain chocolate "treats.")

Major Areas of Concern Regarding Chocolate

According to Dr. Joseph H. Fries, M.D., writing in the Annals of Allergy, chocolate is the third most criticized food by researchers in the medical and related professions. The first two are milk and sugar. A chocolate bar contains all three. Fries notes the major areas of concern regarding chocolate:

Allergy

Headaches (Migraine)

Dental Caries

Acne

Obesity--Cholesterol--Lipids

Lower Esophagal Reflux

Xanthines--Breast Milk Transmission

Miscellaneous

(Fries, 1978, p. 196)

As an interesting curiosity, chocolate was issued to troops as an emergency ration in both world wars and the German High Command issued a chocolate containing kola when the stock of cocoa diminished. Why were these soldiers given chocolate for energy? Because of the presence of Theobromine and caffeine in the chocolate.

Caffeine acts directly on the Central Nervous System. According to popular thought, it lessens fatigue and gives one a "lift." It also stimulates the release of stored sugar from the liver. However, the release of stored sugar places a heavy stress on the endocrine glands. This results in the nervousness and jittery feeling often experienced by coffee drinkers. The effect is similar to a drug withdrawal symptom (Mindell, 1979, p. 209). According to studies done by Dr. John Minton, professor of surgery at Ohio State University, and specialist in Cancer Oncology, excessive intake of methylxanthines (the active principles in caffeine) may contribute to breast disease and prostate problems. Caffeine is also responsible for heart disease, cancer of the bladder and urinary tract, and interference with DNA replication. It has been known to cause birth defects in animals. If one quart of coffee is consumed in three hours, a person's thiamine can be depleted.

Here are some comparative figures:

SOURCE mgs. caffeine

cup of instant coffee 66.0 mg.

cup of percolated coffee 10.0 mg.

cups of dripolated coffee 146.0 mg.

anacin pill 32.0 mg.

coke, 12 oz. 64.7 mg.

cocoa (1 cup) 13.0 mg.

bitter chocolate, 10 oz. 25.0 mg.

one ounce of cocoa 50.0 mg.

ONE MILK CHOCOLATE BAR 3.0 mg.

(Mindell, 1979, pp. 210-211; Horsley, 1974, p. 259)

Can you imagine the effects of this ingestion of caffeine upon a child? Horsley calls the above treats "tasty calcium killers," and rightly so. Chocolate and cocoa interfere with calcium assimilation in the body, and the chocoholic not only craves the sugar in the candy but the caffeine, too. Horsley suggests a combination of Pero (a roasted grain beverage) and Carob (also known as St. John's Bread because St. John lived on it in the desert 2,000 years ago) as a substitute for chocolate. The carob (unadulterated) is in the form of a pod, and has a close resemblance to the taste of chocolate. It contains no caffeine, but it does contain B vitamins and other minerals. It is often finely pulverized to be used in the place of cocoa.

Coronary Disease and Chocolate

In 1970, Dr. Lawrence A. Kohn, M.D., from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry conducted a survey correlating the incidence of coronary disease among older male patients with chocolate consumption in their lives. His results showed that 45 percent of 40 men tested who had coronary disease had used chocolate extensively in early life while only 18 percent of the men free of coronary troubles had the chocolate habit early in life. Another survey which he conducted at Strong Memorial Hospital showed that 55 percent of the males questioned who had coronary disease had been chocoholics in their youth (Kohn, 1970, pp. 2-3).

The fact that caffeine depletes the bodies calcium and places additional stress on the arteries, nerves, and endocrine system enables one to see caffeine in chocolate as one of the contributing factors to coronary disorders. We recommend the Herbal Calcium Formula, the Hawthorne Berry Heart Syrup, and cayenne pepper plus the various herbal aids for the heart, nerves, circulation, in addition to a wholesome diet of fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and seeds, plus the elimination of chocolate and other stress-producing foods from the menu.

Many of the people of Dutch extraction, that is, everyone from the Old Dutch Cleanser Girl to the Boy Who Put His Finger in the Dike, were prone to prepare themselves a nighttime cup of hot cocoa for the insomnia which prevailed in the land. Now...how can cocoa possibly cure insomnia when it contains 13.5 mg. of caffeine per cup? This practice was so extensive that it not only included family, but servants and visitors as well. This toxic dose of chocolate was topped with another toxin: cream or marshmallow. Anybody for a little chamomile?

Transmission of Theobromine from Chocolate in Breast Milk from a Nursing Mother to the Infant

An article appeared in the Journal of Pediatrics on the subject of Theobromine in Chocolate and the nursing mother. We quote from this article:

Theobromine shares the pharmacologic effects of the other methylxanthines, theophylline and caffeine. These effects include central nervous system stimulation, production of diuresis, stimulation of cardiac muscle, and relaxation of smooth muscle. Theobromine is present in all cacao products. The amount of theobromine contained in four ounces of Hershey's milk chocolate is similar to the amount (240 mg) used as a single pharmacologic dose.

This study shows that theobromine passes freely into human milk following ingestion of chocolate. The mean milk to plasma was 0.82 and the peak concentration in the milk occurred at 2.1 to 3.3 hours after ingestion of chocolate. Based on our average data, if a woman ate a four-ounce chocolate bar every six hours and her infant ingested a liter of milk daily, nursing when the concentration of theobromine was at a peak, the infant could be exposed to about 10 mg. theobromine or approximately 1 to 2 mg/kg/day. (Resman, et al., 1977, p. 479)

This theobromine ingestion may be responsible for restlessness, nervousness, and irritability in infants. The article also suggested that the infant could accumulate theobromine and so the mother would not have to take all the theobromine at once for there to be a toxic effect on her baby.

There was also one case of eczema in a breast-fed infant whose mother ingested a pound of chocolate. The eczema cleared up when the chocolate was omitted from the mother's diet.

Dental Cavities Related to the Consumption of Sweets

This next quotation appeared in Bernard W. Minifie's book, Chocolate, Cocoa and Confectionery. Minifie is the consultant to the candy industry for Knechtel laboratories in Chicago, and was formerly with Cadbury Schweppes, Ltd., a large candy firm in London as quality control manager.

"Dental Caries"

Much publicity has been given to the Medical and Dental professions that sweets are the cause of dental decay.

Dental evidence points to excessive consumption of soft, sweet foods generally as a main cause. Starch is much less damaging than the sugars, with sucrose as the worst. Sweets or sweet foods which cling to the teeth and stay in crevices are the most damaging and produce the substrate and anaerobic conditions necessary to form what are now termed the cariogenic acids including a high proportion of lactic acid. In a survey by Grenby the causes of decay and methods of prevention are discussed. The main recommendations for the prevention of dental decay are given as:

1. Control and reduce the consumption of sweets, ice cream, soft drinks, cakes and biscuits, and replace them by savoury foods.

2. Practice rigid oral hygiene by eating cleaning foods such as apples, celery and other fruit and vegetables, and by regular tooth brushing and cleaning. (Minifie, 1970, p. 518)

Carbohydrates Related to Ulcers, Diabetes, and Arteriosclerosis

Here is another quotation from Minifie:

Consumption of excessive carbohydrates has been put forward by Yudkin and his team at Queen Elizabeth College as a cause of athero-schlerosis. McDonald and Butterfield of Guys Hospital and Medical School have further substantiated Yudkin's work. T. L. Cleave in The Saccharine Disease piles up further evidence against sweet and starchy foods suggesting they are responsible for ulcers and diabetes as well as arteriosclerosis. The National Press records that over 300 million per annum is spent on confectionery.

Chocolate and Acne in Teenagers

The main reason that young people have acne is because their highly processed "foods" are devoid of the natural hormone and estrogen materials needed for their bodies to make the transition from childhood to puberty. Chocolate bars, cokes, fries and hamburgers will not supply these nutrients found in unadulterated foods in their wholesome state. If your teenager suffers from acne, we suggest a wholesome diet plus the herbal hormone and estrogen formula along with blessed thistle tea. The more acne is suppressed with inorganic creams and potions, the worse the toxic build-up in the body becomes.

Chocolate Craved by Persons Deficient in Copper

This item appeared in the Health View Newsletter: Cravings--Why some people should always follow their food cravings. Dr. Eck [Paul Eck, a biochemist from Northern California who has been working with vitamin and mineral programs around the country] has told us that some people SHOULD eat chocolate--at least for a short period of time. He says that chocolate is extremely high in copper and people intuitively know that they need it. Dr. Eck has found that as soon as he can restore a person's copper metabolism, he will not crave chocolate any more. (Biser and Biser, 1980, pg. 8)

This is quite an exciting discovery by Dr. Eck. We feel, however, that there are much better sources of copper in wholesome foods, including herbs. Once the colon is cleaned out of ancient encrustations and the slimy coating of mucus along its walls, simple and wholesome foods may be more readily absorbed and assimilated. One of the best sources of organic copper we know of is the herb Ephedra spp., or Brigham Tea, and "kinyather" as it was known to the native Americans. This is an organic source of copper as opposed to the inorganic, toxic form of copper found in the highly processed chocolate or copper supplements found on the mineral market.

Some other foods that are particularly high in copper are:

Food or Herb Mg. Copper/Lb.

hydrangea root 16

mandrake root 12.7

Brigham tea 12.0

peach bark 12

yellow dock 12

hops 11

alfalfa 8.3

catnip 7

turnip 6

blue vervain 6

elder 5

oatstraw 4.5

buckwheat 4.3

wheat 3.7

rye 3.4

--(Dr. Christopher's personal research, 1979)

Other herbs such as slippery elm, valerian, uva ursi, raspberry, are below 3 mg. /lb. Many other herbs have a trace of copper.

We recommend the pre-soaking and low heating method of preparing grains as described in Dr. Christopher's Three-Day Cleanse and the Mucusless Diet. The pre-soaking brings on the seed-sprouting process which increases the mineral content of the seed, and the low heating makes the grain very palatable. Don't expect the same results from Wheaties, cracked wheat, or some other tortured cereal.

Conclusions, Additions, Case Histories, Personal Experiences

One day, as I was walking along the main street of St. George, Utah, I noticed a rather odd situation. A mother was pushing a fullsized baby buggy along the sidewalk and in it, instead of a baby, was a girl about eight or ten years of age. The child was unable to walk; hence the baby carriage. The mother stopped the carriage in front of a grocery store, and told the girl that she was going in to get some groceries. The girl began screaming, at the top of her lungs, for a chocolate bar. The commotion was so bad the mother rushed into the store, leaving the girl in the buggy screaming, and quickly bought a large bar of chocolate (large enough for a fullsize family) and threw it into the baby buggy to the girl who immediately ripped off the wrappings and started eating it ravishingly like a starved animal.

A few months later, when I was back in St. George, I learned that this poor girl I had seen before had suddenly died. The mother, in hysterics, called in the family doctors to check the reason for death.

The doctor informed the mother it was not an accidental death, but murder on the mother's part, because he had warned her for months that she would kill the child if she continued to give her chocolate every time she screamed for it.

I have often wondered how many children are being slowly killed by giving them too much chocolate, because "chocoholics" are hard to live with unless they are pacified with that which they crave.

I remember, as a young fellow, I used to order a full box of a dozen chocolate covered opera bars, two or more times a week. This was to satisfy my "craving" and boredom, while working as a bookkeeper. One day the deliveryman did not show up on his rounds! I was in an office isolated far from a store and my craving drove me to almost "going off my rocker."

At that time I realized that the chocolate was controlling me, instead of me being in control.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Baker, Walter & Co., Ltd. Description of the Educational Exhibit of Cocoa and Chocolate. Dorchester, Mass., 1901

Biser, Sam and Loren Biser. Health View Newsletter Bi-Monthly Bulletin, No. 1, April-May, 1980.

Chatt, Eileen M. Cocoa: Cultivation, Processing, Analysis. New York: Interscience Publishers, Inc., and London: Interscience Publishers, Ltd., 1953.

Colmenero, Antonio, Doctor in Physicke and Chirurgery. A Curious Treatise of the Nature and Quality of Chocolate. Written in Spanish and translated into English by Don Diego de Vades-forte. Imprinted in London by J. Okes, dwelling in Little St. Bartholmewes, 1640.

Horsley, Gaye Deamer. Commercial Foods Expose& And How to Replace Them. Salt Lake City: Hawkes, 1974.

Fries, Joseph H., M.D., F.A.C.A. "Chocolate: A Review of Published Reports of Allergic and Other Deleterious Effects, Real or Presumed." Annals of allergy, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 195-206. Minneapolis: American College of Allergists.

Kohn, Lawrence A., M.D. "Chocolate and Coronary Disease." (Letters to the Editor) American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 23, No. 1, January, 1970, pp. 2-3.

Mindell, Earl. Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible. New York: Rawson, Wade Publishers, Inc., 1979.

Minifie, Bernard W. Chocolate, Cocoa, and Confectionery: Science and Technology. Westport, Connecticut: The Avi Publishing Company, Inc., 1970.

Resman, Beth H., Pharm D., H. Peter Blumenthal, M.D., and William J. Jusco, Ph.D. "Breast Milk Distribution of Theobromine from Chocolate." Journal of pediatrics, Vol. 91, No. 3, pp. 477-480. St. Louis: C. V. Mosby Co., September, 1977.

Tamminga, et al. "Survival of Salmonella Eastbourne and Salmonella Typhimurina in Milk Chocolate Prepared with Artificially Contaminated Milk Powder." J. Hyg. (Camb.), Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 33-37, December, 1977.

Back to Newsletters

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: World Spirit]
    #3750642 - 02/08/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hi Enter,

I have not seen Ott's book anywhere on the internet. Try bluehoney.com or bluehoney.org. They have a lot of literature available.

Hey Shroomie of doomie, are you turning into a polydrug abuser. Pot, tea, mushrooms, opiates, kief. Do you really do those drugs every other day?

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Camellia sinensis - Theobromine [Re: the man]
    #3750804 - 02/08/05 11:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the man said:
how does fermentign make the tea have more caffiene?? seems it would lessin the content.

thanks

anyone?

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3750819 - 02/08/05 12:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Taken from the Tea Caddy website:
http://www.theteacaddy.com/tea_primer.aspx

Quote:

Decaffeinating Tea at Home

Caffeine is highly soluble, so usually 80% of the tea's caffeine content is released from the leaf within the first 20 to 30 seconds of steeping. You can enjoy virtually caffeine-free tea, without sacrificing much flavor, by discarding the water after the first 30 to 60 seconds of steeping and adding fresh hot (temperature depends on tea type) water to the now-decaffeinated leaf.

Tea also has polyphenols which act to soothe and relax the body. These polyphenols begin to dissolve after the third minute of steeping and will be pretty fully extracted after 5 minutes. This long-steeped tea makes a wonderful bed-time tea and may aid in sleep.

mj

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #3755794 - 02/09/05 11:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"Hey Shroomie of doomie, are you turning into a polydrug abuser. Pot, tea, mushrooms, opiates, kief. Do you really do those drugs every other day? "

is that a flame?

And no, I was experiencing a dream-like effect by adding the opiates and kief to the tea extract, that didnt I receive by using just opiates and kief, just opiates and green tea, or just kief and green tea, something about the mix of all, and since mushrooms added a more of a deam-like experience i decided to try it just to see what it would be like in addition... it was definately interesting but i have no intentions of mixing those substances again. 80% of the reason for taking these was for research and the other 20% was recreational. This whole experiment was original started for research purposes in my science class, im currently getting graded on the entire thing. And as for every other day? No! I smoke about a gram of marijuana a week, very rarely use opiates and shrooms, and kief is rarely in my possession.

Q: What do you have against me?

Alot of posts you respond to that i've made, you either critisize me, judge me, flame me, or be a complete dick. So i made 2 or 3 wrong ID's in my "past" <--- notice the word past and study it well. I used to look up to you, but now I have no respect for you. Why do you still act like this towards me?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3755871 - 02/09/05 12:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Nio I have not l flamed you but I questioned your post on the alledged poisoning by Galerina since no one has reprted to any hospital yet you said they went to a hospital. Hospitals are required by law to register any and all types of poionings to the Atlanta Poison Control Center and your report is not among those on their lists. You said they were taken to the hospital in both of your posts on that thread, yet there is no record of anyone going to a hospital for Galerina or mushroom pioisoning as you said in your post.

As for your green tea post, I only suggested that you refernce you research so others can follow up on it. I did not flame you there but only made suggestions to you on how to approach a subject so others can follow through.

have a shroomy day.

And I di not flame you here. People who tend to do three or four drugs within a few days of one another often tend to become poly drug abusers within a few years.

It doesn't happen overnight, but statistics show that what you were doing is a prelude for a dangerouos path to take. I hope you are not doing things every day. But sometimes that is what you yourself suggest in many of your posts.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck