Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
NAACP refuses to comply with the IRS
    #3712881 - 02/01/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

WASHINGTON ? The nation's largest civil rights group is refusing to turn over documents for an Internal Revenue Service investigation into allegedly improper political activity, claiming the probe is politically motivated.

In a letter sent to the IRS Friday, the NAACP cited what it contends is evidence that the agency launched the audit before the November election because of political pressure. The group provided a copy of the letter to USA TODAY.

IRS Commissioner Mark Everson wrote to two congressional Democrats in November, saying that his agency began investigating several dozen nonprofit groups based in part on complaints from two members of Congress, whom he did not identify. The IRS is prohibited by law from identifying the subjects of audits.

The IRS notified the NAACP of the audit on Oct. 8. The IRS told the group that its tax-exempt status was in jeopardy because its chairman, Julian Bond, had attacked President Bush in a speech to the group's national convention in July. The NAACP received a summons on Jan. 14 for information related to the speech. In Friday's letter it declined to comply.

?It appears that political pressure, rather than any sound legal authority, motivated the Service? to open the audit, says the letter from NAACP lawyers Marcus Owens and Lloyd Mayer. Owens is the former head of the IRS office that oversees tax-exempt organizations.

The IRS denies any partisan motive for the probe, which targets ?a wide array of groups across the political and ideological spectrum,? Treasury Department spokesman Rob Nichols said. The IRS can ask a court to enforce the summons.

Tax law bars charities organized under section 501(c)(3), such as the NAACP, from taking sides in political campaigns. The law restricts such groups because donations to them are tax-deductible for the donor and they are in effect subsidized by the government.

Everson said in a letter to Rep. Charles Rangel of New York, the top Democrat on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, that charitable groups must avoid ?reasonably overt communication ? that the organization supports or opposes a particular candidate.?

Owens, the NAACP attorney, said the IRS appears to be using a more expansive definition of political activity than it has in the past. ?This is highly questionable,? he said, noting the ?interesting alacrity with which the IRS jumped into this.?

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20050131/1a_bottomstrip31.art.htm

I don't think this is politically motivated, but that could be because I dislike a lot about the NAACP, since they obviously have an agenda despite being a "non-partisan" group.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: NAACP refuses to comply with the IRS [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3713002 - 02/01/05 12:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The NAACP is non-partisan.......my ass

They ALWAYS support democratic candidates and when the Republican presidential candidate does not kiss ass to them, certain members in their ranks scream, "Nazi!! KKK!! Racist!!"

The organization has turned to shit over the years.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: NAACP refuses to comply with the IRS [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3713219 - 02/01/05 01:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

NAACP takes on IRS........ now that's going to be a good fight!!!!

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: NAACP refuses to comply with the IRS [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3713261 - 02/01/05 01:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's interesting that left wing organizations are being subject to the same tactics under Bush that non-left wing organizations experienced under Clinton... Let this be a lesson to all Republicans: the power you have gathered for yourselves while in charge will one day be turned over to someone like Hillary Clinton and it will come back to bite you just as the Clinton administration tactics are coming back to bite the left wingers.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: NAACP refuses to comply with the IRS [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3713680 - 02/01/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Let this be a lesson to all Republicans: the power you have gathered for yourselves while in charge will one day be turned over to someone like Hillary Clinton and it will come back to bite you just as the Clinton administration tactics are coming back to bite the left wingers

Left/Right it doesn't really matter... when the balance of power is not preserved, both sides will end up regretting it and the rest of us will pay the price. *sigh*

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: NAACP refuses to comply with the IRS [Re: Seuss]
    #3713714 - 02/01/05 03:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Exactly. We're stuck with two groups of power hungry meglomaniacs who's rhetoric is designed to gain them power and actions in office are designed to keep or increase power.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion