Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Some Half-Chinese Dude Starting to Return
    #3710492 - 01/31/05 11:46 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Stoner Chong Out of The Joint & Back in The '70s
Posted by CN Staff on January 31, 2005 at 07:27:50 PT
By Jim Slotek -- Winnipeg Sun
Source: Winnipeg Sun

On an upcoming episode of That '70s Show, fans will see the return of Leo, the stoner photo-mart guy and the gang's erstwhile pot connection -- a character who's been missing from the show for two seasons. How do they explain his absence? "It's pretty funny, I just show up," says Tommy Chong, who plays Leo. "Eric (Topher Grace) says 'Leo, where you been?' And I just say, 'I don't know.' "

As he spoke on the phone from his L.A. home, Chong was about to leave to shoot the scene.

"What happens is Eric's car breaks down at the side of the road and I just appear out of the bushes. At the very end I'm in the basement, and Hyde (Danny Masterson) is there, and Hyde's the only guy I recognize.

"It's a real easy scene, and I got such a beautiful reception from the cast and crew. Everybody was so happy to have me back."

Chong's whereabouts are better known than Leo's. The Canadian-born comic, one-half of the platinum-selling stoner team of Cheech & Chong, was released in July after nine months in jail for selling personalized marijuana pipes on the Internet. No pot, just paraphernalia -- such is the Bush War on Drugs.

So how was his time in the, um, joint? He laughs at the euphemism. "How was the slammer?" he says. "It was a beautiful experience. The thought of going in for what I did was hellish. But being unfairly imprisoned gives me something in common with Martin Luther King and Lenny Bruce.

"But by and large it was a real easy experience. It was a minimum security camp, like a Camp Cupcake, near Bakersfield, Calif. There were Jewish gangs -- they controlled the library.

"The thing is, you put a stoner comedian in any jail and you're gonna find a fan base. My social calendar was pretty full."

It was a non-violent prison population, he says, "a lot of pot growers doing, like 20 years, 'cause they found a rifle on the farm where they were growing it in the country. America's gone totally wacko and has been wacko for a lot longer than we thought.

"I met, like, eight doctors who were there for Medicare fraud --people trying to help people with America's non-existent health-care system. You could say they did it for profit in the sense that they were performing procedures that weren't covered in Medicare and billing for something else.

"What was beautiful was that I was privy to a world you usually don't see unless you're a criminal. By actually being a criminal instead of a writer/comedian, I had the opportunity of a lifetime. I got to see firsthand what the system is about."

Since getting out of jail, Chong has returned to the standup stage (he did a stint in New York in December in the off-Broadway spoof The Marijuanalogues). Fans can expect the usual grab bag of old Cheech & Chong songs like Earache My Eye and originals -- as well as a rant or two about life behind bars.

For now, he's confining his comedy to Canada. "I wouldn't chance it down here yet, not while I'm on probation. They put me in jail for a bong. Could you imagine what they would do if I started spouting my hippie logic onstage in the U.S.?"

Ah, yes, probation. Chong is still drug-tested regularly and says he hasn't smoked pot for two years.

A release party was postponed because, "Technically, I can't even be around roach clips." All bets are off in July when his probation runs out.

"Of course," he says when asked if he'll indulge again. "I've had nothing but good experiences with pot -- other than the jail time."

Skedded to shoot this spring: The much-talked-about reunion movie with partner Cheech Marin. Tentative title: Grumpy Old Stoners. "The plot is, Cheech is fired 'cause he's bald, and I invent a pot lotion that grows hair."

And hilarity ensues -- along with a case of the munchies, we bet.
http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread20181.shtml

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Some Half-Chinese Dude Starting to Return [Re: Ravus]
    #3713149 - 02/01/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

First off its good to see that "the slammer" didnt fuck him up. Second off NEW CHEECH AND CHONG MOVIE hell mother fuckin' yea.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
    #3714475 - 02/01/05 07:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

can't wait for the new film - nothing beats 'up in smoke' when you're giggly  :thumbup:

do these things go mainstream in the US? here in UK i'll be searching in a video shop a year after its release, and explaining to the shop person what it is that i'm looking for, to blank stares....

--------------------
buh

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Some Half-Chinese Dude Starting to Return [Re: shirley knott]
    #3715489 - 02/01/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Cheech and Chong is extremely well-known among the people I've talked to in the U.S. Everyone seems to know what they're about, even if they don't know much about the individual people or Tommy Chong.

Maybe that's just around here, but they're pretty famous for a couple of stoners.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3718351 - 02/02/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Was his arrest due to selling "tobacco products" to people under 18? Or was it for something that every head shop owner does everyday?

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Some Half-Chinese Dude Starting to Return [Re: Boom]
    #3718387 - 02/02/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

He was charged with trafficking in illegal drug paraphernalia.

You can read about Operation Pipe Dreams here (WARNING: link to DEA website):

http://www.us doj.gov/dea/ongoing/pipedreams.html

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service