Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least)
    #3702230 - 01/30/05 12:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Here is a speech made by French president Chirac at the at the International Conference on Biodiversity. I recommend you read the whole speech here, it really is a wonderful speech, and I'd give anything to hear Bush say anything along these lines:

Quote:

Jacques Chirac said on the 24th of January 2005:

On all continents and in all oceans, the warning beacons are lighting up. We can no longer ignore proof of the frequently irremediable erosion of the living environment. The destruction of the primary tropical forests, which are probably home to more than half of all terrestrial species. The shrinking of the natural habitat due to population growth and urbanization. The slow destruction of the coral reefs, almost one third of which has either disappeared or suffered serious damage. The sharp decline in the numbers of the great wild mammals. If we fail to act, these emblematic animals will soon exist only in captivity, reduced to the state of living fossils.

(...)

After establishing its mastery over the whole planet, mankind is today rediscovering the fact that its fate is irrevocably bound up with that of all other living species. It is slowly ? all too slowly ? becoming aware that far from liberating man from the bonds of nature, the power mankind has acquired carries with it unprecedented responsibility. A responsibility that affects the fate of each and every one of us.

Our generations are very probably the last still to have the ability to stop this destruction of the living environment before we cross the point of no return, beyond which the very future of mankind on earth might be jeopardized.

(...)

Preservation of biodiversity, like the struggle against climate change, requires radical changes in attitudes and lifestyles.

Awareness is increasing in both North and South. The Nobel Prize Committee's decision in 2004 to honour Mrs Wangari Maathai ? to whom I address my warmest congratulations ? is a testimonial to this.

(...)

Ladies and gentlemen,

Today, through mankind's growing awareness that we are a part of the biosphere and dependent on the living world as a whole, our civilization has recognized its fragility.

The time has come for us to embark on the path of a humanist ecology. To integrate, in our quest for economic and human progress, an awareness of our duties to nature and our responsibilities to future generations.

We will succeed thanks to the action of each and every one of us.

Under the aegis of UNESCO, your conference on "science and governance of biodiversity" has to help speed up the process of awareness and recognition of the urgency of the task ahead. To open up for the international community as a whole new horizons of responsibility and solidarity.

Thank you for your attention./.

Now didn't this warm your heart at all? It sure did warm mine to see that politicians are finally starting to give a fuck about environmental changes and that they realize that a global shift in attitudes and awareness is a necessary first step.

http://ambafrance-us.org/news/statmnts/2005/chirac_unesco012405.asp

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: exclusive58]
    #3702396 - 01/30/05 01:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Just goes to show how far the world has drifted from the right path. When you have to praise Chirac because the others are even worse, what's there left to save?

BTW, speaking about environment, Chirac was the guy whose first decision after being elected in 1995 was to resume underwater nuclear testing at Mururoa in the Pacific...

Lovely speech, would be nice if he meant it and did something about it.  :sad:

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: exclusive58]
    #3703268 - 01/30/05 05:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Bush has given speeches like that, all US presidents do.

Global warming is known by politicians as a great topic to talk about because they never end up having to do anything about it. Scientists are funded to dig up "evidence" on global warming for just this purpose, not to actually do anything about it.

See, the catch 22 about global warming research is, you can only look as far back as industrialization and that is not enough of a time period to statistically differentiate standard climate change from man-made climate change.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: Catalysis]
    #3703521 - 01/30/05 06:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

look at all the stats you want. tehre are plenty of very obvious things that need changed. maybe not to prevent global shifts but to prevent city change, mountain changes etc.

lots can be done, more can be researched, but nothing is really done at eth end of the day. we get a bunch of cool sounding papers and some neat websites. but the peopel that would do the leg work are still at home or in the office.

here, nothing has changed really.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: Catalysis]
    #3706869 - 01/31/05 08:54 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Bush has given speeches like that, all US presidents do.

If Bush really did give speeches like this, it would mean that he wouldn't hesitate one second to sign the Kyoto protocol.

Quote:

Global warming is known by politicians as a great topic to talk about because they never end up having to do anything about it. Scientists are funded to dig up "evidence" on global warming for just this purpose, not to actually do anything about it.

Talk for yourself! In Europe, since the 1st of January, 12,000 industrial emission sites (including 1,400 in france), which represent a large part of european industries responsible for emission of green house effect gas, are being sanctioned for every ton of carbon that they emit in excess (40 euros is the sanction).

Don't you start thinking that the kyoto protocol has no purpose!  :wink:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3706905 - 01/31/05 09:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

BTW, the US is the country with the most C02 emissions in the world with 5.7 billion tons in 2002 (followed by China with 3.5 billion, and by Russia with 1.5 billion), and an American is the worst polluter in the world with an average of 20 tons of C02 emitted by each person each year (followed by an Australian with 17.4 tons, then a Canadian with 16.9).

Out of these main polluters i cited, only Canada and Russia signed the Kyoto protocol. And the Kyoto protocol is only a tiny step taken towards a real control in climate change.

You go America! that's the way to be a leader!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3706958 - 01/31/05 09:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

we're #1!!

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3707166 - 01/31/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Nice speech at least, but coming from the President of the country that is largest supplier of nuclear power in Europe=France (correct me if I'm wrong please), it's meaning is lessened.

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: California]
    #3707211 - 01/31/05 11:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Why? Nuclear power doesn't contribute to global warming.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3707234 - 01/31/05 11:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> BTW, the US is the country with the most C02 emissions in the world

And Denmark produces more environmental waste per person (560 kgs per person per year) than any other country, followed by Netherlands, UK, and finally the US (460 kgs per person per year). (Data gathered in 2000)

As far as polluted freshwater goes, Isreal leads the pack with 27 tons/cubic km followed by Jordan, Tunisia, Algeria (at 8.56 tons/cubic km)... The US doesn't even make the top 25 list, though the UK comes in at 17 with 3.34 tons/cubic km and france at 20 with (2.49 tons/cubic km).

How about nitrates... Austrailia leads the pack with 118 kg/person/year followed by Iceland with the US at #3 with 80 kg/person/year. Data from 1998.

Yum, lets try out those sulfer oxides with Luxembourg leading with 0.8 kg per person per year, followed by Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, Finland, ... the US comes in at #13 with 0.69 kg per person per year. Data from 1998.

> You go America! that's the way to be a leader!

So we pick a single type of pollution that America happens to be the leader of and then blame America for the worlds pollution problems. Typical.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: deafpanda]
    #3707272 - 01/31/05 11:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No, to my knowledge nuclear power does not contribute significantly to global warming.
It's just that on one hand Chirac is all about a global unified effort to reduce industrial contaminant emissions, and on the other hand Chirac presides over the most nuclear country in Europe(to my knowledge, sorry no sources right now on this).
Pollution is pollution, as Co2 emissions or nuclear waste.
This seems IMO to be an effort by Chirac to make himself more appealing to the world community in contrast to President Bush with regards to the Kyoto protocol.
While it is a nice speech I find it ungenuine in effective purpose coming from Chirac.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: Seuss]
    #3707430 - 01/31/05 12:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This thread is about global warming not general polution. Please explain Seuss how any of those statistics you sited have anything to do with global warming?

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: newuser1492]
    #3707513 - 01/31/05 12:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

THE COOLING WORLD. Newsweek April 28, 1975

http://www.globalclimate.org/Newsweek.htm

global cooling or global warming??? somehow it is all Bush's fault.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3707557 - 01/31/05 12:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

haha, that article was written in 1975

Quote:

Just what causes the onset of major and minor ice ages remains a mystery. ?Our knowledge of the mechanisms of climatic change is at least as fragmentary as our data,? concedes the National Academy of Sciences report. ?Not only are the basic scientific questions largely unanswered, but in many cases we do not yet know enough to pose the key questions.?

wow, we're they really that clueless back then?
well if they were, its all bush's fault  :tongue:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: California]
    #3707600 - 01/31/05 01:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

This seems IMO to be an effort by Chirac to make himself more appealing to the world community in contrast to President Bush with regards to the Kyoto protocol.

There is no denying that a president that has signed the kyoto protocol is a bit more appealing than one who hasn't? Especially if the one who hasn't is the leader of the country that emits the most greenhouse effect gas.

Quote:

While it is a nice speech I find it ungenuine in effective purpose coming from Chirac.

I'm not so sure, I think that he honestly means what he says about the whole thing. I think that he understands the real potential danger of global warming, and he wants to be remembered in History as one who had the balls to take action. So few politicians dare to say things like this nowadays, because there is a huge economical risk that comes with a country's attempt to diminish CO2 emission (which is the main reason why Bush won't sign shit).

And this is the main reason why I (and I'm not the only one) is pissed off at the US over this. Because here were are trying to do something to help our planet, and we're taking risks for that, but what we do is so insignificant if the US doesn't join us in this.

I'm hoping that the European example will put some pressure on the White House administration and influence it in a favorable way.

That is, unless the US has decided its game over, everybody for themselves, only the fittest survive, law of the jungle, more oil is more power is more money is survival, etc...

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3708125 - 01/31/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The Kyoto protocal/accord is a done/dead/finished/over thing. Belly up. Floating and stinking. No longer respiring. Nada. Nyet. Nothing. Tap a keg, it's time for the wake. Even the authors admitted it would have no effect.

Nuclear power has its own issues, notably what to do with nuclear poop. And hydrogen is not a source (except for the holy grail fusion) it's a delivery system.

--------------------

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #3708834 - 01/31/05 05:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
That is, unless the US has decided its game over, everybody for themselves, only the fittest survive, law of the jungle, more oil is more power is more money is survival, etc...

Well, sadly, that decision was taken a few years ago, how could that escape you?  :sad:

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Awareness of Global warming dangers is growing (in France at least) [Re: newuser1492]
    #3709137 - 01/31/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
This thread is about global warming not general polution. Please explain Seuss how any of those statistics you sited have anything to do with global warming?

Yes, you are right and this is the worst thing about the global warming fear tactics.

Leaders can pay "researchers" to come up with these theoretical scenarios of apocalyptic destruction while we are all dying from pollution right now. Lung cancer is at the highest rates ever while smoking is at all time lows, yet politicians are continuing to press this smoking angle harder and harder while doing nothing about pollution.

My drinking water is contaminated with radioactive chemicals so i can't even brita filter it any more. I have to pay out the ass for bottled water as if im already living in some post-apocalyptic era. Pretty soon i am going to need a fucking radiation suit to take a shower...and this isn't just America, this is going on around the globe and all your leaders are finding out that they can do this global warming thing and get out of addressing real, immediate issues.

I know people are smarter than this but i think its just the debate over whether this can/can't/may/may not happen that distracts everyone. Don't you think that the argument that pollution is killing us would cause people to stop polluting more than saying what might happen in 500-1000 years? Maybe thats why they never bring it up.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3709684 - 01/31/05 07:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wasn't arguing that pollution isn't a major problem, I believe that it is. I was only pointing out that Seuss was detracting from the US's leading position as a CO2 polluter.

I know people are smarter than this but i think its just the debate over whether this can/can't/may/may not happen that distracts everyone.

Smarter than this about what? I really don't think people think about the results of their actions. Just take a look at that movie "Corporations: Pathological pursit of power". One of the CEO's made a point of saying exactly that, that he never thought about what it took and how much was destroyed to create his product.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #3712109 - 02/01/05 06:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale