Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!!
    #3704862 - 01/30/05 10:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

OK I swore to myself not to look at my jars for 1 whole week. Today was day 7 and when I looked at them I got a bit of a surprise. CONTAMINATION!~!!
AHhh! I really don't know what I did wrong. ALL 8 of my jars got contaminated with this nasty dark green mold. I pressure cooked them for 45 minutes 15 psi. Let them cool. Then waited 5 hours to inject with spores. I flamed sterilized the needle and everything. I didn't leave the jar rings on after injecting with syringe though. Maybe somehow the mold spores got in through the top layer of dry vermiculite. I don't see how though. The only thing I can think of is the storage container that was storing the jars was very unclean. The only thing I did to clean it was wash it in some hot water. But even if the container was dirty I still don't see how the mold could get through the top layer of dry vermiculite. Here is some pics. Anyone have a clue??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!! [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3704966 - 01/30/05 10:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yucky quality. It is really hard to tell anyhow, especially with fuzzy pictures...but here goes my best *GUESS*

It looks like the mold might be centered around the injection point. That could mean;
1) that your spores were contaminated...your source was bad.
- Think of it like this; you have tons of good spores mixed in with a few bad ones. They all get injected, and due to the higher concentration of "good" spores, they got the upperhand in germination. However, the "bad" spores (mold spores) were still there and only got pushed to the outside.
2) Your syringe was contaminated somehow. The injection was clean as far as spores go, but there were "germs" on the needle itself, and they gained a foothold on the perimeter of the injection point.
3) What is your substrate? If it is grain based, did you soak or simmer before hand? Bad bacteria survives the temps in your PC, specially at only 45 mins.

A few thoughts with a few questions...take it or leave it

Sorry to see that man. Your patients may seem like a waste, but don't think of it like that. Corny as it sounds, it was character building - or perhaps a sign of strong character? Regardless, I would definitely commend you on your patients. It has paid it's dues in ways you might never find out...trust me on that one. The rest of us grew white hairs over the "man no mold yet" :smile:
Good luck, and despite the contams good job. Just keep at it.

Oh yah. Two more things;
Dry vermiculite is a poor substitute for poly-fill or tyvek...the shit is free at the post office until you find a supplier

also, flaming the tip of the needle is great...but it looks like you injected deeper than just the tip..did you get the whole thing red hot? I doubt it...would probably melt the syringe. Try alcohol on the entire length used for injection, then flaming the tip to fry any bastards that got on the inside - as always, use caution mixing the two.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Edited by ADoobie (01/30/05 10:55 PM)

InvisibleDK1
Male
    #3704971 - 01/30/05 10:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Either the area wasn't clean enough when inocculated or the syringe itself had mold spores in it.

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!! [Re: ADoobie]
    #3704983 - 01/30/05 10:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

id guess either bad sterilization OR most likely the mold was in your syringe

--------------------

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!! [Re: SHiZNO]
    #3705041 - 01/30/05 11:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I did the BRF tek

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3705055 - 01/30/05 11:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Can I just dip the whole needle in hydrogen peroxide instead of alcohol? Oh yeah I forgot to say that I forgot to flame sterilize the needle after I already injected 1 jar.

Edited by p4kSouL (01/30/05 11:08 PM)

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #3705079 - 01/30/05 11:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That one jar could have been bad, and that could have screwed the rest of them...

On top of things, you said you used dry vermiculite - did you PC that stuff too? If not, that is what happened. Your needle picked up nasty stuff from the vermiculite in the first jar, and took it down to the injection zone...the rest of them bit the dust

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
    #3705127 - 01/30/05 11:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

that sucks man..are you all out a mushroom sperm?

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3705135 - 01/30/05 11:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I PC the dry vermiculite too. They were all contaminated with the same dark green mold. I'm guessing the needle wasn't clean and when I inject the first one it moved some of the bad spore up through the needle causing all the jars to be contaminated. So why is it bad to flame sterilize the whole needle?

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!! [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3705141 - 01/30/05 11:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jc_illenium said:

I have another syringe I'm going to inject tomorrow

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #3705188 - 01/30/05 11:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

not that it is bad to flame the entire thing, but if you are doing it properly, it is going to turn red-hot...and if that happens (which I have never tried to find out), you might end up melting the syringe where it comes in contact with the needle.

Alcohol is cheap and legal for anyone to buy man...head to the local pharmacy and you will be happy for a while on like $5 bucks

--------------------
ADoobie said:

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3705208 - 01/30/05 11:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hmm ok cool thanks man. Also does anyone recommend any good quality spore sites? Is the hawks eye good? I was going to purchase my next spores there probably.

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3705213 - 01/30/05 11:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

the best way I have found to sterilize needles, and this doesn't necessarily apply to muchroom cultivation, but it does apply to bacterial lab work. is to take the needle, dip it half way into alcohol, insert needle in flame just long enough to catch the alcohol on fire, and let alcohol burn off and flame die out. Wait till it cools and inoculate. I have a done a lot of lab bacterial innoculations like that.... mostly using agar though

oh just FYI... when doing this hold needle end down so the alcohol doesn't run up the needle and onto the chamber. That's bad

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3705230 - 01/30/05 11:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

p4kSouL said:
Quote:

jc_illenium said:

I have another syringe I'm going to inject tomorrow

If you are carefull about sterility & 2nd syringe contams.....also..... sounds like a bad syringe.

If.... so..... contact vendor & complain. Some gurentee, some don't.

If this is your first go around & vendor will not make it RIGHT & QUICK............pm me & I will send you a clean one (FREE) on me.

agar (feeling generious today).

--------------------

OfflineLethalX5
Male

Re: RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!! [Re: Damn_Skippy]
    #3705237 - 01/30/05 11:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hawk eyes kicks ass. he will take care of you.

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: RESULTS OF MY FIRST GROW!!! [Re: LethalX5]
    #3705249 - 01/30/05 11:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i pmed you agar!! :laugh:

Offlineguest23
Stranger
    #3705283 - 01/30/05 11:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Any vendor here is going to be reliable for spores.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom