Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Loc: FL
new and unexperienced.... advice?
    #3704811 - 01/30/05 10:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I finally registered to this messageboard after reading it for a while. I just need a little guidance, advice, and suggestions.

I recieved some GT spores and I used sort of a combo method of PF and WBS. Here it is.

I bought 1/2 pint jars and filled them up about 3/4 with sterelized WBS, then filled the rest with Vermiculite. I left a little space on top for some air.

I taped the holes I made in the top of the jars (4 holes on the top of each jar) and covered with tin foil. Then put in a pressure cooker that only went up to 12 psi for an hour.

Took out the jars and (on a very clean surface area) inoculated them with the spores. After each hole I inoculated in the jars I put down the tape.

All the jars are done (I finished them yesterday around midnight) and they are sitting on my computer.

Now for the parts I think I may have f'd up.

The pressure cooker only went to 12 psi. Should I have cooked longer than an hour?
They are sitting on my computer. Probably not a great idea, but I'm not really sure what to do with them.
How long should I expect to wait before I see the first signs of life?
How tight should the lids be kept on the jars?

These questions are somewhat answered in the FAQ's and other posts I have read, however I'm somewhat still unsure.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Peace and Love,

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: new and unexperienced.... advice? [Re: Woland]
    #3704819 - 01/30/05 10:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

12psi for 1 hour--chances of contam are extremly high. WBS needs at least 90min @ 15psi.

germination of spores occurs in 3-5 days when at optimal temps.

Keep lids tight, but in a few weeks take the tape off them.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
Re: new and unexperienced.... advice? [Re: dobinky]
    #3704864 - 01/30/05 10:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

maybe for an ad-hoc incubator you could put them in a plastic bag, and put them in your computer case. my foaf's computer case runs at a constant 88 degrees when it's on...perfect for incubating...

you might check that out.. (in a plastic bag to reduce the risk of contams.)

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

Edited by chocbruce (01/30/05 10:31 PM)

OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Re: new and unexperienced.... advice? [Re: chocbruce]
    #3704951 - 01/30/05 10:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hmmmm... that first post has me a little worried. I'm also a little worried about how long I let them cool.... They sat in the PC for like 1hr (after I had turned off the heat) and then sat on the counter for an hour. Then I put them in a skillet with cold water and some ice for about 1 hr. I got impatient cuz I was tired and had to get up for work. Yeah I think I really f'd this one up.
good thing spores are cheap.
Although I do believe I am seeing a little mycelium on the bottom of the jars. I dunno, it's hard to tell the difference between mycelium and the popped seeds.
gracias,

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3705045 - 01/30/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

First things first, keep at it...

Having said that, don't hate on yourself till you see things go to hell...even then, learn and live try not to be discouraged.

Definitely want more time in the PC...at least 90 mins? Maybe not that long...but it won't hurt things. I go for 70 and things turn out lovely. But I also soak for 15 hours.

Keep those lids tighter than a virgin IMHO. Everything outside the jar is nothing but bad news.

As for your computer, it might be OK till you set something else up.

88 is a little hot depending on room temperature. 84 is perfect, but if the room is cold you of course loose temp to the fact that only 10% of your jar has access to the heat

Here is what you should search and read about:

WBS +soaking

TIT

In the mean time learn from whatever happens to your jars, and good luck!

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Re: new and unexperienced.... advice? [Re: ADoobie]
    #3705150 - 01/30/05 11:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the reply doobie. i just tightened the lids and put them in a plastic bag and in a cupboard that isn't in use. I think I'll just leave them there for like 5 days and then take a look. Untill then, I keep my fingers crossed.
once again,
gracias,

--------------------

Offlinefrock
    #3705206 - 01/30/05 11:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Remember,

3-5 days for signs is a great thing but many times germination can take longer like 5-7, I have even had a few times were germination didnt occur till day 11 for some reason.

Just thought you should know that so you dont get dissapointed if there insnt anything there at 5 days.

Edited by frock (01/30/05 11:34 PM)

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #3705226 - 01/30/05 11:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Just to clear this up for you, you really should search for Tub in Tub, it is a style of incubator. TIT just doesn't explain it enough, and it has only really recently been dubbed the TIT as far as I know. More searches will come up with tub in tub incubator...

They work very well, and are pretty much as cheap as an incubator gets except for a warm dark place in the house (free). Such places are furnace rooms or a cupboard above the fridge.

BTW:
Good luck with the jars. Although it doesn't sound too good, they may be OK (you would be surprised what people can get away with). Watch for growth, if you see it before a 3-4 days, then it is probably mold, especially if it is fast growing. Anything that is a bright white color and thick - You are good to go!

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags