Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Impulse Sealer, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*
    #3704760 - 01/31/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by distortion

Reason for deletion: don't know

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! [Re: distortion]
    #3705068 - 01/31/05 01:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wow

Well, I had mycobags that took a month and a half to even show signs of life...but when it did, it had been sitting outside in the cold in a TRASH BAG for a week. No, the filter patches on those things are fucking banging.

Check your spore source. I have had good luck with myco bags so far...in fact, I have found the things to be very very very very hard to mess up. Either they messed them up before you got them (hey, I suppose it could happen), or your spores were just not what they needed to be

Sorry to hear that man.

Also, if they are the grain based bags from mycobag, did you mix it up first? They come layered, not mixed...important considering they have different materials.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten
Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! *DELETED* [Re: ADoobie]
    #3724602 - 02/03/05 02:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by distortion

Reason for deletion: don't know

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Offlineazurescens
    #3724950 - 02/03/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

YOu said that you are using mycobags. Are they the ones that already have the substrate in it or did you just get the bags and put the substrate in and PC yourself? If you got it from them with the substrate already in it then by the time you received it in the mail contamination would have already been evident had it been in there prior to that point. I too know that TLG is a great vendor but it sounds like if everything you're saying is correct that the most likely source was that of the syringe.

Offlineazurescens
Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! [Re: azurescens]
    #3724990 - 02/03/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

On another note...I have worked repeatedly with mycobags and there is no reason that it should take a month to show signs of growth permitting that optimal(or close) condtions are met. I see repeated results of 8-14 days from initial injection.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#3725031 - 02/03/05 04:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

MycoBag almost certainly did NOT send you a set of bags that where improperly sterilized. They've been providing these bags for years now, and while there are some cases where a bag may be punctured, ruptured, or broken while in transit, they have a long standing reputation for providing quality goods and service.

Here are a few points to consider:

If a bag is not 100% sterile (as you suggest), and it is being incubated (even without injection of culture or spore) then you can safely assume that some mold or bacteria would start to grow. You note that nothing is showing in some bags, which means they are in fact 100% sterile. IS there any type of "sour" odor emitting from the filter patch, or do they smell just like normal sterilized grain?

MycoBags usually sit on the company shelf for at least 1-3 weeks after they have been sealed just to ensure there are no resident molds or bacteria (which would begin growing in that time and show through visual inspection). And if they have been compromised by rupture, puncture or tear in shipping they will usually QUICKLY show signs of contamination. In many cases when they have been poked or ripped in shipping they will arrive already with the contamination showing.

In addition, the filter patches used on these bags is industry standard, and I don't just mean the "shroomery" industry. I mean these are the filters patch bags used by just about every major spawn producing mushroom farm operation in the country, in some cases, the whole WORLD.

So, scientifically you have to assume that if your bags arrived looking clean, healthy, and not showing signs of contamination before inoculation, then the only alteration to the bags after they have left the mycobagfactory are either damage in shipping, or the introduction of foreign material through syringe inoculation.

How long was it after the bags were inoculated before the molds appeared in the contaminated bags? Were the bags uncontaminated when they arrived?

I'm definitely not trying to knock TLG's product, because they have supplied a quality product for some time now, but as with all living biological material, sometimes things will go wrong. It happens even given the best available quality control. It would not be prudent to dismiss the possibility of there being some problem with your source material just because you've had good experience in the past with the same product.

There is always the chance too that source material is either killed or compromised in shipping.

Just think about the process logically and it will help you pinpoint where there could have been possible error or where the problem may have originated with your ordered material.

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! [Re: psilocyber]
    #3728129 - 02/04/05 01:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Very doubtful it's from TLG as well.

We haven't had any recent bad batches and believe me, we monitor very closely.

In all of 2004 we had 3 people complain of contams....none from the same batch so it's extremely rare. (We sent out many many thousands of syringes during that time)

As you said, accidents happen though no matter how many years experience of doing the same thing.

Occasionally frustration is an added part of the mix in this hobby and sometimes there are no clear cut answers.

You know, shit happens.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! [Re: boxtop703]
    #3728529 - 02/04/05 02:36 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

when i get a steak at a restaurant, and it is not cooked the way i asked, it is re cooked until i am pleased. I'm thinking since vendors have a similar business, they should take care of their customers in the same fashion. otherwise they should have no claims to be great to their customers. maybe good, but not great.

my dos pesos.

--------------------

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! [Re: Tweexican]
    #3728574 - 02/04/05 02:49 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

While I can't speak for Sporeworks though I know them to be a highly professional outfit.....we can't deal with customers in public threads, only through our customer service e-mail.

Why not in a public thread?

Well for one, I'm extremely limited as to what I can say due to the fact that I'm no longer a paying sponsor. Secondly and much more importantly, unlike some spore vendors, we sell our exotic spores for microscopy research ONLY.

Therefore, any dealings with customers MUST take place outside of a cultivation forum.

Our customers know our dealings with them are top-notch and they know how to reach us.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
Re: Mycobag Contamination/SLOW Colonization! [Re: boxtop703]
    #3728798 - 02/04/05 03:56 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

wierd, I have used myco bags before 0 contamination with 8 medium bags and 6 different strains.

Now I make my own large myco bags using a impulse sealer, 0 contamination.

I do agar work over a stove top, inoculate in a large plastic container with some alcohol poured in and some lysol sprayed, 0 contamination. I also wear gloves and a face mask, but wow.

I left one bag with substate out for a couple days because I added to much water and it had green mold all over it, so I tossed it. I suppose I could have sterilized that bag though? So I don't get it, I have green mold all over my kitchen, I caught it growing on my bread, but it will not grow on even my agar plates.... lucky me?

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Impulse Sealer, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation