Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZombieLuvin
Observant

Loc: Greater Chicago Land
Careers In Chemistry question?
    #3704507 - 01/30/05 11:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I am considering changing my major from Comp Sci to Chemistry. I find the whole chemistry and interaction of hallucinogenic chemicals to be fascinating. I was wondering just what field of chemistry would be best suited if i would want to persue like an R&D type of chemist profession?

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear, and the oldest and strongest fear, is fear of the unknown... -H.P. Lovecraft

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: ZombieLuvin]
    #3704521 - 01/30/05 11:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Organic chemistry with perhaps a focus on ethnobotany?

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3704523 - 01/30/05 11:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would work on your BS, at a minum you will have to take, 2 semester of biology, chemestry, physics, orgo chem, and math(s)

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3705061 - 01/31/05 01:09 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

physics?

Either way, the point stands. You will need lots of science and even that evil math.

On the bright side, science is fun. My organic chemistry class is full of the honeys :smile:

--------------------

Offlineblkhole
Comfortably Numb

Loc: Tinpan Alley
    #3707828 - 01/31/05 04:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This probably won't be any help, but I'm going into that too and I can't wait  :smile: . You think you would need to take some sort of neurology and psychology for hallucinogens though?

--------------------
With our love, we could save the world, if they only knew...
-George Harrison R.I.P.

http://irevolution.org

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: blkhole]
    #3707872 - 01/31/05 04:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You don't need a specific tract in "hallucinogens" if you want to understand the chemicals in drugs.

Take your typical chemistry pathway, and then go to graduate school if you want to do research.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #3707915 - 01/31/05 04:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Have you considered pharmacology?

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: ummikko]
    #3708136 - 01/31/05 05:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ummikko said:
Have you considered pharmacology?

I'm going into pharmacology/pharmachuetical chem. Perdue is a good school for it. Best profession and as a fallback there is always pharmacy which pays very good.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3708944 - 01/31/05 07:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You would start with a B.S. in chemistry/biochem with an emphasis in neuroscience or pharmacology.  You would then move on to get your PhD at a school that does research in an area like psychedelics or something that will allow you to transition to post-doc work in psychedelics.

Don't major in chemistry if you are not going to get your PhD.  This is important because you need to start planning where you want to get your PhD before you even start your chem major.  The hardest part will be getting into the research group that you want and it will be dependent on your classes and undergrad research.  Your whole goal as an undergrad will be to get into the research group after you graduate.  Grades won't be your main focus because you need to easily be able to maintain a 3.0 or forget about it.

It sounds hard because it is, but that is what you have to do if you want to make it into such a narrow field of research.  Also, a B.S. will get you nowhere so, like i said, don't even think about it unless you are going all the way.  Good luck.  :grin:

edit: I am wondering what school you attend in chicago?  You should check out northwestern, UIC, or U of I for neuroscience/pharmacology.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3709817 - 01/31/05 09:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Catalysis how will a B.S get him nowhere? Do you mean, 'not being able to find a job kind' nowhere? Or just nowhere as it pertains to psychedelic research?

--------------------

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: looner2]
    #3709939 - 01/31/05 10:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

From what I hear, your general chemist (lets just say for a pharmacutical company) gets paid relatively good money. Somewhere between 90-150 g's a year but!......even though thats not bad money, it would be if those chemists were brining millions of dollars worth of research to whatever company they work for. What Im sayin is, usually chemists get shafted on the pay check even thoug it may not seem like it while the big corps are reaping all the benefits.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3710031 - 01/31/05 10:23 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

No, he will be able to get a job at about $15-18/hour working quality control for a pharm, food, or cosmetic company but he would never be able to pursue research interests without a PhD. Shit, in my days of QC i worked with many straight A PhDs who basically had the same job as me because they didn't plan ahead and get in the right research groups and they hated it.

Luckly, i have found my way to a high profile university group and i am working on publishing papers, bringing technology to industry, etc. Sure i only make $17 an hour but its non-corporate, laid-back, and i love it. I also know that im lucky and it usually takes much more work and planning to achieve research goals.

Psillynilly, you can expect to make 30k with a bachelors and 50-70k straight out of school with your average PhD.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3710431 - 01/31/05 11:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I wish I chose chemistry instead of biology, I am going to have a chemistry minor if that means anything (probably not).

I just want a job. Period. 12 bucks an hour as a lab technician would be fine by me.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3711034 - 02/01/05 01:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah you can get that same type of QC job as a biology major. A couple bio majors i worked with at my last job made a decent career out of it. Just gotta learn some HPLC and a few chemical tests and youre good. That chem minor will be your in, make sure you include it on your resume.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #3712118 - 02/01/05 08:33 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone else find it rediculous that the scientist gets paid practically nothing compared to the businessman?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3712173 - 02/01/05 09:37 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
I just want a job. Period. 12 bucks an hour as a lab technician would be fine by me.

THis is looking to be a harder and harder thing as the years pass.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3714939 - 02/01/05 08:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'll tell you the secret to getting your pay a little higher when you get out of school as a BS chemist or biologist.  :wink:

Go to the temp agencies and they will hook you up with a 12/hr QC job, no problem.  Make sure that job is only for a few months because once it ends, you put that you made 12/hr on your resume and then you will be offered 13-14/hr from agencies and businesses.  You can keep doing this until you make 17-20/hr, then get yourself a good permanent job.  I went through 3 jobs when i got out and gradually went from 12/hr to 17/hr over a year and a half.  Oh, also lie about your previous salary when you can get away with it.  I went from 13/hr to 15/hr by saying i made 14.50 at my previous job.  Thats what its all about.

Offlinecb9fl
    #3715901 - 02/01/05 10:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What kinds of things do you do in QC?

I currently do not have a college degree but make around $15/hr. I have started working on my degree although it may very well be three or four years before I finish.

Do you enjoy your work?

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Careers In Chemistry question? [Re: cb9fl]
    #3716078 - 02/01/05 11:27 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well quality control sucks, to be honest. All you do is run tests on phamaceuticals, food, or cosmetics and stuff to make sure each batch meets standards. I guess its just like any average job, it depends where you work and who you work with that make it good. Its kind of a thankless/low-paying job and people in the profession tend to be asshole more often than not. Don't let that scare you though, my last job was very enjoyable and i worked with cool people so it can happen.

If you are making $15/hr, i would really advise you not to go to college unless its something you really desire aside from money and a different job. I wouldnt have if i was in your position. However, right now i am going back to grad school and doing research so its kinda cool i guess..I just have 20k in student loans and i don't make shit so that kind of sucks.

I would have dropped out my sophmore year if it wasn't for the pussy..and i am not exaggerating that is really the only reason i continued.

Offlinecb9fl
    #3718049 - 02/02/05 08:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If I wanted to make more money I know I could do so without going to college. I crave the education and simply despise not having a higher education.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology