Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Friendly Reminder
    #3699637 - 01/29/05 09:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Be more concerned with the concrete and the practical than with the merely speculative.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Friendly Reminder [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3699680 - 01/29/05 09:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What if you speculate on the concrete? Ever speculated on commodities?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3699763 - 01/29/05 09:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

such as debating about whether or not love exists  :crazy2:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

User Gallery

Re: Friendly Reminder [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3699774 - 01/29/05 09:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

How dareth thou challenge mine friendly reminder, surely thou jest!

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3699787 - 01/29/05 09:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

the challenge is speculative  :shocked:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3699794 - 01/29/05 09:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Of course I jest. Life is a grand comedy/tragedy, jesting keeps me sane.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3700359 - 01/30/05 12:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
Be more concerned with the concrete and the practical than with the merely speculative.

Skorp, can you give an example of both. I think I know what you are saying but I can't imagine why? Speculation has gotten me out of many a jam and openned many doors for me I otherwise would've taken for being shut.

What's so friendly about telling people, not to take a risk or a chance guess at something that may turn out to be soo?

If after I saw my first maginificent sunset and took it to be concrete and practical that it looked the same everyday, and never speculated it may change color on another day, I would've missed out on a lot.

If I form concreate opinions and judgments of people for practical purposes, and never stop to speculate, there may be more to them that I can practically appreciate, and took further time to keep things fluid, I would've missed out on a lot.

What about it being practical to keep things fluid and to speculate their is more to anything then meets the eye?

What is your definition of practical? Isn't that a subjective thing?
A Porche isn't practical for someone making $35,000 a year, but it sure is for a Gigolo making $300,000 a year.

edit- color posted in red

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (01/30/05 01:05 AM)

User Gallery

Re: Friendly Reminder [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3700790 - 01/30/05 02:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Skorp, can you give an example of both.

Focusing on what one can actually do Here Now, and what is actual and pragmatic is the former. The latter is obsessing with aimless historical reflections and irrelevant future projections, or dogmatic beliefs that are not supported by factual reality, using energy for unproductive purposes so that personality growth is hindered or stopped.

jSpeculation has gotten me out of many a jam and openned many doors for me I otherwise would've taken for being shut.

Of course. Educated surmises on actual, present situations that actually serve practical purposes that create actual rewarding results, is not what I was referring to as "merely speculative".

What's so friendly about telling people, not to take a risk or a chance guess at something that may turn out to be soo?

Is this how you interpreted the post? :confused:

If after I saw my first maginificent sunset and took it to be concrete and practical that it looked the same everyday, and never speculated it may change color on another day, I would've missed out on a lot.

It seems you've colored the concept of what is concrete and practical in a way that it carries a somewhat negative connotation. Be aware that I am coming from a different perspective, than you. I can say being practical and pragmatic prevents me from painting something beautiful and serene as the Hawaiian sunset into some 'boring ole thing', which is just a negative attachment. I was born and raised in Hawaii for seven years, btw. :smile: Most beautiful place on Earth.

Anyway, do not confuse apathy with being concerned with what is practical and concrete. If anything, being practical and concrete and being in the Now is more rewarding and stress-relieving and conducive to genuine, stable happiness.
How does appreciating the beauty of nature, naturally enjoying the pleasantries of life such as nature hikes and humor, go against being simply concerned with what is actual, and what is concrete and practical and Here-Now? Surely one must not be irrational to take pleasure in such aforementioned activities.
But irrationality is a major ingredient for one to cling to pleasures that cause them pain and suffering, or to view reality in harmful ways.

If I form concreate opinions and judgments of people for practical purposes, and never stop to speculate, there may be more to them that I can practically appreciate, and took further time to keep things fluid, I would've missed out on a lot.

Don't confuse close-mindedness with being practical and rational.
I would be open minded and non-judgmental as much as realistically possible, for I have personally experienced first-hand the negativities of close-minded judgmentality from others.
I am well aware that it is fairly illusionary to believe that we truly, fully know another, and that it is harmful to form fixed opinions about another because we are always constantly changing in response to the environment around us. This stance might have not been formed if I were completely irrational, unpractical and unconcerned with actual concrete matters.

What about it being practical to keep things fluid and to speculate their is more to anything then meets the eye?

Hey, there you go. :smile:

A Porche isn't practical for someone making $35,000 a year, but it sure is for a Gigolo making $300,000 a year.

Well of course it is all relative. What matters is what is practically applicable to you.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #3700826 - 01/30/05 03:16 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
but it sure is for a Gigolo making $300,000 a year.

Obviously you don't realize how much we have to spend on cocaine and speed to work such crazy hours. Seriously, I hardly sleep... and now the phone's ringing again... later.
*puts on leather pants and grabs the keys to the 968*

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Friendly Reminder [Re: Sclorch]
    #3700832 - 01/30/05 03:20 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What is a jiggylo?  :tongue2:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3702120 - 01/30/05 01:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:
Skorp, can you give an example of both.

Hey, there you go. :smile:

Well of course it is all relative. What matters is what is practically applicable to you.

Then there is the friendly reminder.

Just because your dad doesn't think it's practical to pay for a car wash doesn't mean it's not for the guy who could make ten times the cost in the time it would take him to wash it. Adding the relativity to being practical is everything or people can run themselves backwards by an others relative view.

Running backwards is taking away making it a negative on its own and has nothing to do with my associations.

To say what is concrete about reality is that it is all fluid allows for positive speculation and growth, a positive.

That is my association with the word as nothing is rock solid in the fixed sense. What is lava but fluid rock heated up. You can take actual stone and bust it up into a fine powder that can be poured to fill the shape of any container like liquid can.

What did you mean by using the word if not to imply that some things are fixed like facts. That's a limitation and anything limited to less then what it can be or actually is with a deeper look or different perspective or some alchemy is a take away, a negative.

That has nothing to do with my associations. If you agree that there is more to all things then what meets the eye, then you can see why it doesn't serve one to view things as being concrete in the rock solid fixed sense.

It's not that I have anything confused. It's that  I don't see a difference when I look at it from an empowered point of view. It's a fact my eyes are blue and maybe I want green. I can buy colored lenses. Its a fact I can't fly yet don't want to walk to New York from Tampa, I can take an airplane.

How did we end up with things like colored contact lenses and airplanes? Someone speculated that these foolish ideas could be made manifest in the future by going there in thought first and drawing from the fruits and flops of past experiments along the way.

I don't know what is out of line for going into the future or past relative to the now because each is a part of the now. One has its blossoms and fruits, some rotting in the now and one has its seeds in the now.

I don't know how they can be separated other then using reductions to bring you to a more finite point in space time. Reducing is a form of taking away from something, a negative. That has nothing to do with my associations.

Maybe you can see why your one friendly reminder "as it was worded" read negative to me. If someone took it as it stands, it could run them into negative places from where they are now.

I will give you this. Some people feel safe and secure and more in control or more comfortable being controlled is more like it when boxed in to finite places. The irrational fear related to that is  what I have a problem with and would like to see healed in everyone so they can take their own power back as sovereign and free individuals.

If I got someone to buy into your reminder as it's worded, I could manipulate and take away from them soooooo easily like taking candy from a baby and they'd never know it. Asserting a "this is how it is as a fixed" is nothing more then a means for asserting control over a situation.

What ever happened to how it could be or once was? You'd never know if you don't entertain yourself in the past and future or the deeper now, same difference. 

Everything is ultimately fluid and relative and that scares people who think they need to cling to pillars and be fenced in to feel safe. You can easily control someone with their own fear in that and get them believing that limitations and fixations are good. You can even control their fixations within the limitations from there.

I felt moved to raise an awareness of the larger dynamic at play here that most people don't see because of our conditioned programming.

Help people to overcome their insecurity fears regarding nothing stays the same forever or looks the same from every vantage point and they will be free and impossible to control. That's not easy to to do but one of the best ways I think we can serve the greater good.

Imagine a world where no one could be in control of another. Wow! We would have to start co-operating and co-creating for common goods and goals that served the whole, not just a few. :wink: :heart: :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

User Gallery

#3702472 - 01/30/05 04:10 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you agree that there is more to all things then what meets the eye, then you can see why it doesn't serve one to view things as being concrete in the rock solid fixed sense.

Well Jiggy, of course I am not one to go about espousing any such blind philosophy that advocates some narrow view where everything is 'rock solid' and completely fixed.

By concrete I mean "of or relating to an actual, specific thing or instance; particular".

I am not talking about metaphorically or analogously looking at life as some hard, strong, conglomerate construction material. Nor did I mean for parts of my post to be taken in such a hyper-literal way.

Yes I am fully aware of the ever-fleeting, fluidic nature of life, and nor does this go against what I was simply conveying here. I can revive posts to show this.

In the future, to just ask to rephrase the message so you may get a clearer picture of what is being conveyed, instead of jumping to conclusions or observations that appear to carry negative weight. It would save alot of time, energy and unneeded 'clashes'.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3702638 - 01/30/05 04:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Clashes? We were on the same page all along. I was just pulling the deeper meaning out of it so the positive side could be revealed.

I see this thread as being more  of a tag team effort to reveal a larger dynamic behind what is visible.

I don't see it as a waste of time either if any clarifying took place and if any reader had a light bulb go off in their head. I suppose that is even relative to the worth one has for ones time. If I am creating grander vistas to behold, I never feel I am wasting my time. There is so much to see in this life and so many ways to see the same things.

If everything is reduced to a one liner, a lot will be missed and there is good stuff behind it all. :laugh: :heart: :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3704321 - 01/30/05 10:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

say, how does one find out what's concrete and practical without some speculation? don't you have to weigh different things against each other to decide what's more or less relevant to 'real' life?

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3704590 - 01/30/05 11:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SkorpivoMusterion said:

Speculative thought allows for innovation. It is necessary and good, and always precedes experimentation in science. All practical technology starts as speculative theory. I can imagine someone telling Einstein, or Locke, or Aristotle not to be concerned with the speculative.  :rolleyes:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology