Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStankyBitch
Poor Man's Terrarium
    #369811 - 08/10/01 11:55 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I was wondering if anyone has used the Poor Man's Terrarium tek from the MMGG with any success. I want to use it, but it seems a little too good to be true. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemrshrums
Re: Poor Man's Terrarium [Re: StankyBitch]
    #369840 - 08/10/01 03:13 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

well if you are triing to get out of this cheap here's my suggestion. I'm assuing you are using the method described in the MMGG as I did w/ 12 half pint PF style cakes. I am in the midst of my first flush right now and very, very happy with my results thus far. My terrarium consists of a 58Qt Sterlite storage bin from walmart for about $5.00, a bag of perlite and some seran wrap all for under $15.00. The poor man's terrarium setup for 12 half pint cakes will cost you just as much if not more because 2 liter pop bottles are going to run you about $1-$2 a bottle unless you get them from someone for free. Either way I'm sure you'll get similar results. If you do what I did you'll have all 12 of your cakes in one container and should have similar results if you control your environment right. I try to fan the terrarium 3 times a day. I can get more detailed w/ my setup if you like but there are plenty of examples on this site. It is pretty simple.

Invisibleisis
addict
Re: Poor Man's Terrarium [Re: mrshrums]
    #369865 - 08/10/01 04:24 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

It works. It's just a pain to do air exchanges.If you don't fan they still grow,but they tend to grow thin stems with small caps.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: StankyBitch]
    #369869 - 08/10/01 04:34 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Offlinesurfacing0
Loc: Utah
    #369942 - 08/10/01 08:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I tried the poormans the very first time I grew and it did become just WAY too much of a pain to air out 12 2 liters, I kept it going for about a week though, but not much was happening. So I went out and got a styrofoam container for 4.99 that fit all the cakes, and just filled the bottom with perlite. Two days later I had a huge flush of pinheads. It made me so happy and proud. So I would suggest this way. It costs almost exactly the same, and it worked A LOT better. My second time around I also bought a thing of plexiglass and cut out the top of the cooler and that helped too. Overall cost for the terrarium was about $12-15. Worked pretty good too.

~Prying open my third eye.~

--------------------

OfflineStankyBitch
Re: Poor Man's Terrarium [Re: surfacing0]
    #369964 - 08/10/01 10:11 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you so much for the help! I'm leaning toward putting wet perlite in my plastic cooler and then putting wire on the bottom and installing a drip sheild. I will let the mushrooms get 1-2 hours of light a day. I was wondering, If I use perlite should I still spray the terrarium?

Offlinesir_shroom_alot
enthusiast
    #369973 - 08/10/01 11:11 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

ok, poor man's terrium sucks dick, go with the perlite terrium! Way fucking better. I dicked around with that gay thing for awhile, then went to perlite, trust me, u'll love it

first u get the money, then u get the Weemen!
Wee men? what the hell are u talking about!
i said woman; no u didn't man!

~Ur PAYING ME IN HAIR CLIPPINGS! WHAT ARE U cRAZY?

--------------------
first u get the money, then u get the Weemen!
Wee men? what the hell are u talking about!
i said woman; no u didn't man!

~Ur PAYING ME IN HAIR CLIPPINGS! WHAT ARE U cRAZY?

Offlinesurfacing0
Loc: Utah
    #394037 - 09/14/01 04:15 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

The wonderful thing about perlite is you don't need a drip shield. It evaporates the moisture so well and in small molecules that no drip sheid is needed. You don't need the wire mesh either, just keep the cakes on the lid from the mason jars, and after a flush, just set the cakes driectly on the perlite amd it will remoisturize the cake, making it ready to have its next flush. Also, you do not need to spray the terrarium, if the cooler is big, you will only need to air it out every few days too.

--------------------

OfflineGiga_Funk
Re: Poor Man's Terrarium [Re: surfacing0]
    #394579 - 09/14/01 05:58 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I think the point of the shelf is to keep the cakes up of the floor because , CO2 being heavier falls so there is a greater amout of time(till tthe bottom fills) till the cakes are immersed in CO2...

oh yeah... i wonder if an air pump in the lid , some perlite, and and exaust hole at the bottom would make the poor-mans worth doing...well its probably never worth doing more than one...air pump 4 bucks, inline air filters 4 for five bucks, and a bag of perlit what 3 dollars?air tube $1...12 dollars?is that poor?i guess it would be almost fully automated just add water thru the lid(tilting the unit of course so it runs down the side and not on the cake....well that may be tough you could syringe water thru the exhaust port..we all have syringes.....
I believe in magick

Edited by Giga_Funk on 09/14/01 07:05 PM.

--------------------
I believe in magick

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #394777 - 09/14/01 11:12 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

poor-man's my ass. sorry to take that tone. my neighbor's cat has been using just plain translucent rubbermaids for some time now. perlite or verm on the bottom, cakes on plastic lids. very very low maintanance.

have you any idea of how hard it is for a cat to maintain a terrarium? she limits it to six one-pinters or ten half-pints in a bushel sized rubbermaid.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract