Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse?
    #3693130 - 01/28/05 11:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"I can't wait for humans to kill themselves off so that mother earth can flourish once again."

How many times have you heard a similar statement. Do you agree with it?

Are you aware that in the past, there have been much greater waves of extinction, pollution, and climate change all due to 'natural' causes?

Are we as natural as anything else on this planet, or are we a special species that is superior/inferior to all others?

Is it okay to wish for our extinction, but not the extinction of other species? What about other species that are beginning to overrun a certain ecosystem, killing off a few species in the process, as has happened so many times in the natural history of our planet?

In the grand scheme of things, are we even capable of creating a disaster that damages the earth more than meteors, volcanoes, etc... have in the past?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (01/28/05 11:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecmath
Stranger
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: Phluck]
    #3693187 - 01/28/05 11:17 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Nuclear Winter. :wink:

That'll about kill off whatever life this planet has maintained.  We gotta get rid of technology that is so unbelievably destructive.

I for one am looking forward to some sort of big change... but will it actually happen?  Every generation thinks that something big will happen in their lifetime... and usually some pretty big stuff does happen.  But not significant global change. 

Will this actually happen our lifetime or are we just another generation thinking they're special in some way.  (Probably to help us keep moving forward!)  It's too bad that you get to the end of your lifetime and nothing significant has happened... well... I hope that won't happen to my generation.

Edited by cmath (01/28/05 11:21 AM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: cmath]
    #3693196 - 01/28/05 11:19 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What about it?

Nuclear winter would be caused by massive amounts of smoke and dust being thrown into our atmosphere, scientists have speculated that this has already happened in the past, with volcanoes or meteors.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Offlinecmath
Stranger
    #3693205 - 01/28/05 11:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

So nuclear winter won't erase all life on this planet?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: cmath]
    #3693247 - 01/28/05 11:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That's extremely doubtful. I don't think I've ever heard a scientist suggest any such thing.

There are lots of living things that can survive some very extreme conditions. Tons of smalls organisms would survive, many insects would survive, a lots of plants, etc... probably a good deal of sea life.

--------------------

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3693254 - 01/28/05 11:39 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't personally wish for our extinction because I feel that we are a plague on this planet. I do feel we are collectively quite fucking stupid for trashing the place we live. Do you treat your home the way we collectively treat our planet? I should hope not. I'd be willing to wager you treat it with some amount of respect and keep it clean because you had/have to work for it. Not so with the earth. We feel it was given to us so we can tear it up all we want. Heh, and that's fine. I find an assload of comedy in that. I think it's funny how hard some are trying to avoid our inevitable extinction that will surely befall us someday in the future. It's a craps game and the house always wins.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3693257 - 01/28/05 11:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Like I said, nuclear winter type conditions have probably happened in the past, long after life on earth began. Life would take a severe blow, but after a while, begin to grow back again.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3693283 - 01/28/05 11:51 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

We didn't even know that our pollution and our actions could have any sort of effect on the planet as a whole until long after we'd started. Hell, at this point we aren't even really sure what we're doing or where we're headed, all we have is speculation.

So how could we be to blame if there was nobody who knew, and no way of knowing until our technology gave us the ability to find these things out?

Sure, we can be shown to be the cause, but is it really a result of disrespect? Are the bullfrogs ravaging Australian plants being disrespectful?

--------------------

Invisibleclone
Remote Viewer
 User Gallery

#3693351 - 01/28/05 12:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i think it would be great for there to be a massive extinction. it would help our earth, and when technology is destroyed, or very limited, we can start new, and try to keep on the path of balance the next time around, instead of the path of distractions and material goods. don't get me wrong, i think technology is great, but there is no balance with our spirits anymore, and it's due to the distractions of technology, which is our own fault.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: clone]
    #3693385 - 01/28/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

no i Do not have a hard on for the apocalypse

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3693406 - 01/28/05 12:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I like humans, mother earth flourishes regardless of how misanthropic some of them are. No, I don't have a hard on for the apocalypse... unless it means I'm going to get laid a whole lot more.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: clone]
    #3693412 - 01/28/05 12:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm pretty sure there was alot of human violence and destruction before the age of technology.

I don't see how a catastrophic event would 'set things right' if humans went back to the dark ages or what have you. i think we'd see the same trends develop. some people who want balance and harmony, and some who want progress and improvements, and some people who are just greedy pricks.

i can understand the view that humanity is a virus that needs to be cleansed from the earth, but siding against my own species seems pointless. i would rather see the entire earth destroyed before sacrificing my own flesh and blood and that of my brothers and sisters but my preference would definately be for a harmonious coexistence.

though, i must admit i have some sort of sick fascination with the idea of the world being plunged into complete chaos and change.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3693461 - 01/28/05 12:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Without a doubt i have a hard on for the apocalypse.

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3693469 - 01/28/05 12:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i have a hardon for your mom

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Invisibleclone
Remote Viewer
 User Gallery

Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3693491 - 01/28/05 12:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i think a return to survival will bring a return to balance. without the McDonald's instant gratification society, i think people would realize what being in tune with nature is about. i also think there are too many people on the earth, or rather there will be soon.
yes i have a hard on for the end times, but with every end is a new beginning, and that's what truly gets my balls off. the possibility for a great change and a fresh start.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3693525 - 01/28/05 12:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

incubaby_421 said:
i have a hardon for your mom

so post menopausal women are your thing huh? kinda nasty.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3693594 - 01/28/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think we are leading the evolution chain right now on planet earth, and it wouldn't make things any better if we we destroyed so that nature can flourish because the evolution would continue progressing toward some replacement of us.

I say nature is flourishing, the cities are as much natural wonders as canyons are, and we are a natural force as the wind and watter are, we are biological natural beings, our technology is our immunity system developing itself.
I think that by replacing "natural" abilities and imunity with technology we are not distancing ourselfs from the nature, we are in fact using a faster and more efficient natural adaptations techniques.

A pill is the equivalent of the natural imune system because no matter what you do, you are a part of the nature and the universe,
it's same materials, same atoms, just different techniques.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: skystone]
    #3694025 - 01/28/05 03:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't wish for mass extinction, or the suffering of humans. I believe that civilization needs to end, and that it inevitably will and that because of how far it's gone it probably wouldn't end cleanly, but I really would never wish for a mass die off of humans. That's a scary, near fascistic desire.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #3694042 - 01/28/05 03:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I hope that within our lifetime there will be apocalypse. I will be writing the music for it: "Apocalypso". no you can't use that title I already am. and yes I'm aware that if the law of the jungle were to suddenly be the way of things, I would probably be killed by a group of rednecks on ATVs with shotguns.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Do you have a hard on for the apocalypse? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #3694057 - 01/28/05 03:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

So you are suggesting that evolution would just stop?

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom