Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Calcium Carbonate
    #3337462 - 11/09/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I was looking for some stuff yesterday and ran across a bag of calcium carbonate at pet co. It looks like its an additive to reptile sand to aid them in calcium consumption. Is this the same kind of calcium carbonate used to buffer our casings? It looks like white sand...is there an additive or something I should watch out for? I wasnt able to find crushed oyster shells so if this works id have it made.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3337489 - 11/09/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Calcium carbonate is calcium carbonate is calcium carbonate.......... If all it is is 100% Calcium Carbonate then it's what you want.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: derx]
    #3337547 - 11/09/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

LOL said the learning chemist. Thanks for the reply, guess ill give it a shot.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

"A is A" -Aristotle

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#3337556 - 11/09/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Otherwise known as chalk or ground oyster shells...

--------------------

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: simplemachine]
    #3337634 - 11/09/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

limestone, aka calcium carbonate is made of chiten (fossilized shells)

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3337784 - 11/09/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lesstutrey said:
limestone, aka calcium carbonate is made of chiten (fossilized shells)

kinda... its the other way around. Chiten is made of...... but this is the right stuff. good luck man.

--------------------

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: derx]
    #3337785 - 11/09/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

"A is A" -Aristotle

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

#3337795 - 11/09/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I dunno about that. It mentioned nothing of calcium carbonate. If you're ordering online buy from mycosupply.com. He has crushed oyster shells.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: simplemachine]
    #3689462 - 01/27/05 04:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

many Calcium carbonate brands (or lime) burn shrooms.

I think we all need an expert to recomend a trustable brand, and maybe even a link ... something that will work 4 sure

THANX!!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3689647 - 01/27/05 05:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hydrated lime (short term buffer) is the only buffer that can burn. Calcium carbonate (long term buffer) will work just fine. I really love oystershell flour for my Long term buffer, I also use hydrated lime for the short term only because I prefer Peat based 50/50+ casing mixes. Here is a link to Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Anonymous

Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: hyphae]
    #3691366 - 01/27/05 10:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanx
But :

The 50/50 tek indicates that you have to use 2 things:

1.- oyster shell (there is no doubt on this one, it dosnt burn)

2.- Hydrated Lime or Calcium carbonate.

Number two causes the controversy. The tek update (available in the shroomery) says that many people had burn there myc with Lime, and thats why the author changed the lime for Calcium Carbonate, tahat is supose to be safe. But there is controversy on that in the posts too. Many people talk about PPh level and stuff.

I thank you for ypour shell link, but actually I'm looking for a reliable brand of calcium carbonate or Hydrated Lime.

What do u mean with long term, shrort term, etc? I'm a newbie, sorry

Edited by Anonymous (01/28/05 04:27 PM)

InvisibleDK1
Male
    #3691731 - 01/27/05 11:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I found this product at the petco site http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=6392600205&dept_id=%2D2 it says 100% calcium carbonate, its coral sand.
that would probably work

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3692462 - 01/28/05 06:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The reason hydrated lime burns is because it's immediately available, to the point of burning sensitive skin, that is why we call it a short term buffer, it does not last whereas Lime, calcium carbonate, oyster/egg shell powder all long term buffers break down slowly and buffer (stay around) for the long run. Short term buffers are used to raise the pH of acidic substances, long term buffers are used to keep a substance from becoming to acidic. I hope this better explains the difference for you. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3692890 - 01/28/05 09:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cuatiklad said:
thanx
But :

The 50/50 tek indicates that you have to use 2 things:

1.- oyster shell (there is no doubt on this one, it dosnt burn)

2.- Hydrated Lime or Calcium carbonate.

If you have oyster shells...thats all you need. Its the exact same thing as Calcium Carbonate. I have used it plenty before and I can GUARENTEE you that its WAYYYY different then hydrated lime.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (01/28/05 10:00 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3692942 - 01/28/05 10:13 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Here read this:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23684

And then read the 50/50+ tek again...you misread it.

"NEW UPDATE:
Although most people, including us, have great success from using horticultural hydrated lime, some do not. They end up burning their mycelium or the mycelium just never colonizes through to the casing soil. We think perhaps the hydrated lime they are buying has a much higher alkaline level then then the Hi Yield brand we are using. Hi Yield brand is our preference and works great for us. But just to play it on the safe side, we are going to suggest you buy calcium carbonate. A ground calcium carbonate is a gentle buffer. Some brands of hydrated lime are not. Calcium carbonate is basically ground up limestone, a soil sweetener. It works just as good if not better then horticultural hydrated lime. Its a much safer bet as well. You should be able to find calcium carbonate in just about any garden supply store.

Another tip, look for the large chunked oyster shell sold at feed stores. The fine powder shell is fine, the but the large chunked shell gives a much better texture and the mushrooms grow even better on this soil. You can find oyster shell anywhere birds are sold, or at most feed stores.

The exact mix, to fill a filter patch bag 3/4 full is:

* 15 1/2 cups vermiculite
* 15 1/2 cups peat moss
* 4 1/2 cups crushed oyster shell
* 1.2 cups of hydrated lime
* 15 cups of distilled water (1 cup short of a gallon of bottled water) 16 cups = 1 gallon"

Note the bottom^^^right there is the original recipe. Look above though and it says..."Although most people, including us, have great success from using horticultural hydrated lime, some do not. They end up burning their mycelium or the mycelium just never colonizes through to the casing soil. We think perhaps the hydrated lime they are buying has a much higher alkaline level then then the Hi Yield brand we are using. Hi Yield brand is our preference and works great for us. But just to play it on the safe side, we are going to suggest you buy calcium carbonate. A ground calcium carbonate is a gentle buffer. Some brands of hydrated lime are not. Calcium carbonate is basically ground up limestone, a soil sweetener. It works just as good if not better then horticultural hydrated lime. Its a much safer bet as well. You should be able to find calcium carbonate in just about any garden supply store."

Calcium carbonate is a gentle buffer like oyster shells. He does say its basically ground up LIMESTONE. Not ground up Hydrated Lime. Big difference.

Just put in some sort of long term buffer (just one) and forget all about horticultural/hyrated lime unless you can correctly test the pH.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Anonymous

#3694231 - 01/28/05 04:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

That?s exactly how I understood it.
I did make a typo, I?d correct it. I said one time ?shells? when I meant Lime.

Then you understand what I?m saying. The tek says ?use two? and then updates ?replace Lime for Calcium?. I have shells. Can you just tell me what do you use or trust? I mean a brand. I have the shells now.

Other thing? I can use only shells and will do some good can I?

Anonymous

#3694262 - 01/28/05 04:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The first link you give though, it is a little bit confusing for me. It says ?THE INGREDIENT that is used?.? It doesn?t say ?Ingredients?, so you can tell if is talking about ?the ingredient in the place of Hydrated Lime? or, ?screw the tek we use only one?.

I?m a major in economics. Do I need to tell you that is GOOD for you to post brands guys? It is. It stimulates competence, pulls out of the market bad producers, leave the good ones in, and help the good ones build prestige, which then again will generate more money to make better products and so on.

Any way, I don?t want to play with luck, I would like to be sure of what to buy, not try. Try, I will do soon, when I stop being such a newbie?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix