Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Cursed Koh Sumai - will not fruit
    #3690081 - 01/27/05 06:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have a casing that is acting quite strange and I'm scared something may be wrong with it. The temps, light, humidity are all the same as some PES (not fond of this strain) that are right next to them and have fruited. The Koh refuse to pin, they just colonize the casing over and over again. After 3 weeks (that's right) I scratched and misted to moisten the grain and give em some moisture. Still nothing, they recolonized the casing but still will not fruit. Its now been close to a month. The substrate layer is quite thick 3". If the pH was off would the mycelium still grow fine? Could that stop all fruiting? I tested it before, but I'm curious (I don't have a kit) if that might play a part. I've thought about vaccuuming off all the casing and just covering it with a thin layer of vermiculite, would that help if the casing was the problem? I've also thought about tossing in some colonized grain from another batch, who knows what that would do. This casing is really pissing me off, I have no clue what the problem is.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Re: Cursed Koh Sumai - will not fruit [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3690145 - 01/27/05 06:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, so I vaccuumed off the top layer of casing. Down below was something really unexpected, the casing seemed somewhat dry, and wasn't really held together very strong at all. It broke right up, but did not blue and seemed very much alive. I'm going to moisten it and casin in just vermiculite. Do you think the bottom layer will affect the casing above it negatively if the pH is off? That is still my only theory about what might be wrong. I couldn't get all the casing off, and there is some possibility that vaccuuming introduced contaminants (though I did spray vaccuum hose with alcohol and flame, but vaccuums are obviously dirty machines). Frankly, if they do get infected I will be relieved almost; I'm tired of trying to save this casing. If the pH was off with the substrate bounce back? I imagine it was a lot like getting acid rain whenever I misted them. It didn't kill them, so I'm guessing the pH was about 6.5 if that was the prob. I should also mention that the mycelium that poked above the casings surface seemed sort of translucent rather than a healthy milky white. What does that mean. I think that's the best indicator of what might be wrong. From now on peat is gone!! Its too hard to work with unless you are really good at tweaking pH. Even big bags can vary from top to bottom in pH, and every bag seems different. Now I just need some coco coir. Does anyone know of a source? I might have to special order it somehow.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #3690443 - 01/27/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

check the sponsors for coir
http://www.shroomery.org/sponsors.php
next time make sure your air exchange is high and that your casing layer isn't to thick
does the casing show any signs of contams?

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Re: Cursed Koh Sumai - will not fruit [Re: muse_sick]
    #3691172 - 01/27/05 09:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the link, they got my business. I always make sure they get plenty of air, my casing layer on top was about 1". thick but I like a layer that really keeps the substrate nice and moist in its microenvironment. Coco coir will be the secret in the future, I just couldn't find it in my area. Shipping on that stuff is expensive and I'm always broke, but its worth the money I guess. the fact that its pH balanced is awesome, just mix it with verm and you're set to go once you sterilize it.

--------------------
-- Mazatec shaman

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3691205 - 01/27/05 09:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

maybe give ur whole entire casing a 2 hour dunk. then poke holes and let it drain. then put sum thin casing on.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cursed Koh Sumai - will not fruit [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3692833 - 01/28/05 09:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If it was verm thin sitting on top of the casing layer, almost translucent, you may have cobweb. It would probably take the casing really fast though so maybe not since you've had it for a while...I'd bet the pH could do that but I would still think it would fruit.

What are your temps? They could be to high for that strain if PES fruits easier in the warm climate..I've had that happen many times before.

Also you should be STOPPING spraying if myc just keeps growing and its time for it to pin. Spraying will cause vegatative growth to flourish which seems to inhibit pinning IME. Resume misting once the pinset is there.

Pics always help.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck