Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephatboy
Stranger
What Is "Dunking"?
    #3688672 - 01/27/05 01:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, I'm new to the boards and to the "sport."  lol, anyway, I just wanted to know what the term "dunking" is and how often should this be done?  Any imput would be greatly appreciated...thanks!  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: phatboy]
    #3688681 - 01/27/05 01:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Dunking is when you submerge your cake into water for up to a day to moisturize the cake for increased amounts of growth.

Offlinephatboy
Stranger
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3688693 - 01/27/05 01:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ok, hhhmmm...when should you do this? also, what would be the ideal conditions to do this, I know being "sterile" is the key, what else?

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3688704 - 01/27/05 01:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well I'm new too but you dunk when your cake is completely colonized with mycelium. When the cake is dunked you place it in the frig for no more then a day. Then after its dunked you place it in your fruiting chamber. There is information all about dunking on this site you should look around.

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3688709 - 01/27/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23292

Step by step dunking tek

Offlinephatboy
Stranger
    #3688715 - 01/27/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

THANKS!

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #3688720 - 01/27/05 01:49 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

do u have to put it in the fridge?

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineJack_Tripper
Stranger
    #3688727 - 01/27/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm new too but I've dunked before. You do it when the cake is 100% colonized, take the lid off remove the excess verm. on top and fill the jar with sterilized water. You then put the lid on and place it the fridge for 12 to 18 hours. You also do this after each flush too. An alternative is to have a container with a lid and dunk more than one cake at a time either way sterility is key.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3688741 - 01/27/05 01:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, lemme give you a bit more detailed Explainiation(sp?)...

Dunking- is to rehydrate the cake..You can do it before your first flush...but i'd only do it if it looked dry....pretty much everyone dunkes on the 2nd flush(the first set of mushies took a lot of water so dunking helps get that water back.

Putting it in the fridge is called COLD SHOCKING...

Cold shocking- Initates pinning...some other things that do are light,temp. drop (going from 84F in the incubator to 74F in the fruiting chamber)...that's all that I can think of..

And yea...if you ever need some help...Research first, and if you can't find what you're looking for, post it or gimme a pm and i'll try n help you out, GL

-Gnostic

Offlinephatboy
Stranger
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: Jack_Tripper]
    #3688743 - 01/27/05 01:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jack_Tripper said:
I'm new too but I've dunked before. You do it when the cake is 100% colonized, take the lid off remove the excess verm. on top and fill the jar with sterilized water. You then put the lid on and place it the fridge for 12 to 18 hours. You also do this after each flush too. An alternative is to have a container with a lid and dunk more than one cake at a time either way sterility is key.

Hey Jack Tripper, this may be a stupid question, but like I said, Iam new to this...how do you know when it is 100% colonized? :mushroom2:

Offlinephatboy
Stranger
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3688752 - 01/27/05 01:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Well, lemme give you a bit more detailed Explainiation(sp?)...

Dunking- is to rehydrate the cake..You can do it before your first flush...but i'd only do it if it looked dry....pretty much everyone dunkes on the 2nd flush(the first set of mushies took a lot of water so dunking helps get that water back.

Putting it in the fridge is called COLD SHOCKING...

Cold shocking- Initates pinning...some other things that do are light,temp. drop (going from 84F in the incubator to 74F in the fruiting chamber)...that's all that I can think of..

And yea...if you ever need some help...Research first, and if you can't find what you're looking for, post it or gimme a pm and i'll try n help you out, GL

-Gnostic

Awesome! Ok, now I think I'm getting this...I was wondering why you'd do it before your first crop, how do you know when the first crop is "done" though?

OfflineJack_Tripper
Stranger
    #3688754 - 01/27/05 01:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The substrate mix you loaded in the jars is compleatly covered with mycellium, then wait a few more days for the inside to be compleatly done.

Edited by Jack_Tripper (01/27/05 01:57 PM)

OfflineLethalX5
Male

#3688757 - 01/27/05 01:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

after the myc takes up the whole jar and all you see is the myc. wait 1-2days after that then it should be about 100%. (am i right?)

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #3688761 - 01/27/05 01:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Lord,

You dont have to put it in the fridge. Dunking is recommended since it adds moisture to the cake. Mushrooms like wet feet.. ;P

You dont have to take the verm layer away. Hence if the verm is colonized as well it is a nice sponge it can make a waterreserve as well.

Dunk and ROLL< after you submerged your cake (6-20 hours) in the water you can roll your cake in dry Vermiculite.
Then spray the vermiculite untill nice and moist.

Put in fruiting chamber.

MF

--------------------

Offlinephatboy
Stranger
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3688848 - 01/27/05 02:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
Lord,

You dont have to put it in the fridge. Dunking is recommended since it adds moisture to the cake. Mushrooms like wet feet.. ;P

You dont have to take the verm layer away. Hence if the verm is colonized as well it is a nice sponge it can make a waterreserve as well.

Dunk and ROLL< after you submerged your cake (6-20 hours) in the water you can roll your cake in dry Vermiculite.
Then spray the vermiculite untill nice and moist.

Put in fruiting chamber.

MF

but why not put it in the fridge, didn't that other guy on here say that that creates something to do with a "shock" that promotes "pinning"??? I'm a little confused now.

OfflineJack_Tripper
Stranger
    #3688965 - 01/27/05 02:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You don't really have to put it in the fridge. But there are two good reasons to do so. Those are first contams can't get a foothold in the cold tempertures as well. Secondly the cold temps will provide a cold shock, which alot of people will say has no merit. Regardless the contam reason is enough for me to put it in the fridge.

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
    #3688968 - 01/27/05 02:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i have a question to add, if i may. What if the cake starts to look a little or a lot dry during the colonazation phase, can dunking be performed on the unfinished cakes? If so, will dunking the patially colonized cake have a negative affect?

"curiosity killed the cat"

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

OfflineJack_Tripper
Stranger
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3688988 - 01/27/05 02:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No that will just cause the cake to contam. Make sure you get the mix right to begin with and don't overheat the jars during incubation which can cause them to dry out. Keep them at between 78 and 82 degrees Farn. during colinization. I know those temps. are a little lower than optimal but IME a little cooler is better that hotter which can cause drying, since some heat is generated from the myc.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: Jack_Tripper]
    #3689010 - 01/27/05 02:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

>>You dont have to take the verm layer away. Hence if the verm is colonized as well it is a nice sponge it can make a waterreserve as well.

Mushroom friend, that verm layer was there to catch contaminates. Why would you want to keep it? scrape it off and throw it away.

Do a Dunk 'n Roll, then double-end case those puppies. Makes for great flushes with cakes.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
Re: What Is "Dunking"? [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3689032 - 01/27/05 02:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

would a dunk n roll in perlite work?

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix