Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

Darwinism and Alcohol
    #3664899 - 01/22/05 10:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hello, I know that this is not exactly scientific research, but a friend told me of this research done (to which I can not verify with exactitudem hence the non scientific part) that proved that people using alcohol in a controlled way (as in not an alcoholic) made you smarter. The way it worked was that the alcohol destroyed the weak brain cells using darwinism, damaged and mangled ones, while the body produced new fresh braincells (this is more provable as I read a scientific report here on the shroomery on this topic). It makes sence to me quite frankly, as if alcohol is distributed evenly amongst the brain cells than mostly the weak unhealthy ones would die. Then again, maybe it's just a frat research trying to justify drinking....thoughts? comments?

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinespreaded
always beprepared

Loc: outer rim of space
Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: Toricious]
    #3665001 - 01/22/05 10:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I dunno, common sense says that drinking enough to kill that many brain cells isnt good for you and isnt going to make you smarter. Ive never met a smart binge drinker. There are a lot more brain damaging substances to worry about.. I dont even think about brain cell loss now..

Edited by spreaded (01/22/05 10:29 PM)

OfflineToricious

Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: spreaded]
    #3665042 - 01/22/05 10:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ya, but binge drinkers and alcoholics share one thing in common, and that is abuse...

--------------------

Edited by Toricious (01/22/05 10:32 PM)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3665210 - 01/22/05 10:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It sounds like that's a joke, or complete bullshit. If you can find evidence for it, be my guest

Quote:

Imaging reveals shrinkage to be more extensive in the folded outer layer (i.e., cortex) of the frontal lobe (2), which is believed to be the seat of higher intellectual functions. In men, vulnerability to frontal lobe shrinkage increases with age (2-4). Current studies will determine if the same effect occurs in women. Repeated imaging of a group of alcoholics who continued drinking over a 5-year period showed progressive brain shrinkage that significantly exceeded normal age-related shrinkage (5). The rate of frontal cortex shrinkage in this study correlated approximately with the amount of alcohol consumed (5).

Shrinkage also occurs in deeper brain regions, including brain structures associated with memory (6-8), as well as in the cerebellum, which helps regulate coordination and balance (9). Limited research suggests that women may be more susceptible than men to alcohol-related brain shrinkage (10,11).

The detection of structural brain damage is complemented by results of functional imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) and single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT). By measuring local changes in blood flow and energy metabolism, PET and SPECT can help identify brain regions involved in specific sensory, motor, or cognitive functions. Such studies consistently reveal decreased blood flow and metabolic rates in certain brain regions of heavy drinkers compared with those of nonalcoholics (12,13), even in the absence of measurable shrinkage (14). Structural and functional defects revealed by magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) and PET may reflect a decrease in the number (15) or size (16,17) of neurons or a reduction in the density of communication sites between adjacent neurons (16,17).

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa47.htm

When you can observe the effect of alcohol on the brain, it is always harmful to my knowledge. I've never heard of alcohol showing positive physical effects on the brain

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineToricious

Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: Ravus]
    #3665303 - 01/22/05 11:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
It sounds like that's a joke, or complete bullshit. If you can find evidence for it, be my guest

Quote:

Imaging reveals shrinkage to be more extensive in the folded outer layer (i.e., cortex) of the frontal lobe (2), which is believed to be the seat of higher intellectual functions. In men, vulnerability to frontal lobe shrinkage increases with age (2-4). Current studies will determine if the same effect occurs in women. Repeated imaging of a group of alcoholics who continued drinking over a 5-year period showed progressive brain shrinkage that significantly exceeded normal age-related shrinkage (5). The rate of frontal cortex shrinkage in this study correlated approximately with the amount of alcohol consumed (5).

Shrinkage also occurs in deeper brain regions, including brain structures associated with memory (6-8), as well as in the cerebellum, which helps regulate coordination and balance (9). Limited research suggests that women may be more susceptible than men to alcohol-related brain shrinkage (10,11).

The detection of structural brain damage is complemented by results of functional imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) and single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT). By measuring local changes in blood flow and energy metabolism, PET and SPECT can help identify brain regions involved in specific sensory, motor, or cognitive functions. Such studies consistently reveal decreased blood flow and metabolic rates in certain brain regions of heavy drinkers compared with those of nonalcoholics (12,13), even in the absence of measurable shrinkage (14). Structural and functional defects revealed by magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) and PET may reflect a decrease in the number (15) or size (16,17) of neurons or a reduction in the density of communication sites between adjacent neurons (16,17).

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa47.htm

When you can observe the effect of alcohol on the brain, it is always harmful to my knowledge. I've never heard of alcohol showing positive physical effects on the brain

wow, that somehow never makes me want to drink again, espedcially when acid feels so much better :p

--------------------

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #3671726 - 01/24/05 09:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It is called being a social sipper. It is what Proffesors and Scholars do with their time. It is beneficial for you to consume one or so alcoholic drinks during the day. No more than three though, or you are worse off than before.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3671794 - 01/24/05 10:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I don't see what it has to do with darwinism, but here's a link about the link they found between drinking, and increased cognitive ability: http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002305.php

It applies more to women than to men, apparently.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: Phluck]
    #3671801 - 01/24/05 10:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Also, it should be noted that this doesn't necessarily mean that alcohol causes you to be smarter, it might actually be the other way around, being smarter might cause you to drink more.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
    #3671886 - 01/24/05 10:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

My dad has an IQ of 170, he's an MD who graduated from Notre Dame.

He's currently at a rehab center for Alcohol addiction. He's probably been an alcoholic for at least 5 years now. He recently decided to go ahead with the rehab and has been there for 8 days now. The average stay is about 30 days.

What Phluck has said, IMHO, definately has some truth to it. (about smart people drinking a lot)

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Offlineel_duderino
His Dudeness
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'stralia
Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3676254 - 01/25/05 05:17 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

It's from this joke...

Lets use the analogy of a heard of buffallo. The heard is only as fast as it's slowest buffallo. When a lion attacks the heard it attacks the weakest, slowest buffallo. This is beneficial to the rest of the heard as they can now travel faster.

obviously the buffallo is the brain and the lion is alcohol.

--------------------
Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you  call me.  That, or Duder.  His  Dudeness.
Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: el_duderino]
    #3676476 - 01/25/05 07:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There's buffollo herds near lion prides? o_O

Learn something every day :smile:

--------------------
delta9

Offlineel_duderino
His Dudeness
Male User Gallery

Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: delta9]
    #3676631 - 01/25/05 08:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

haha fucked if i know! :laugh: It's a herd okay! that's all that matters.
Besides I remember seeing some water buffallo in the lion king.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #3677254 - 01/25/05 10:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

gnu?

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3677266 - 01/25/05 10:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

obviously the buffallo is the brain and the lion is alcohol.

Obviously?
I mean, it's a theory, but the african savannah analogy isn't necessary going to apply to neurochemistry.

This is much more "maybe" than "obviously".

--------------------

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #3677589 - 01/25/05 12:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well if you think alcohol can't be used by responsible people in a responsible way, then your analogy is totally wrong. Take a look at the world around you. Sure, in some cases, your analogy holds true. I mean alcohol does destroy way too many lives, but what about the analogy of the tripping guy? One guys goes out and trips on acid and goes fucking nuts, must have been schizo already. Is everyone going to go permenantly crazy if they do acid because one guy did? Nope, in fact acid can be used in very beneficial ways, almost self improving. But it can hurt too, damn double edged swords.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineBlurk
Stranger
Loc: South Bris, QLD, AUS
Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: mecreateme]
    #3680862 - 01/25/05 11:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think the idea of smart people being pre-disposed to drinking has more to do with an individual dulling the mania and anxiety that is normally associated with being of a higher intelligence.

Also, in my opinion, the right dosage of Alcohol can increase ones ability to focus by removing social inhabitions and other thought clouding stimuli. (people call it "being in the zone")

But thats comming from someone who's on thier 4th Jim Beam so maybe im just talking shit :smile:

Offlineel_duderino
His Dudeness
Male User Gallery

#3682202 - 01/26/05 07:52 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Obviously in that that's what the analogy reffers to. Some people might not have got the connection so i explicitly said what it was. I'm not saying there's any truth to this, it's just a joke, a way to legitimize heavy drinking and killing your brain.

--------------------

Offlinejent
enchanted wizardof rhythm
    #3683326 - 01/26/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This is compleate bull shit. I will tell you why. It used to be that we thought nerve cells don't regenerate. They don't divide like other cells. The brain cells you are born with are the ones you are going to die with. Now granted we have discovered that they do indeed regenerate just very VERY slowly. It is never a good thing to kill a brain cell, by the time you have made up that brian cell others will have died from natural/non natural causes. Even without drugs your brain is dieing faster than it can fix its self. So killing off weak cells does not mean that new healthy ones will replace them.

--------------------
the jent

Offlineel_duderino
His Dudeness
Male User Gallery

Re: Darwinism and Alcohol [Re: jent]
    #3687837 - 01/27/05 09:17 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

erm... i never said that dude.

--------------------

Offlinei_rage_against
Mwaa ha ha
Female User Gallery

Loc: a shithole in the northwe...
    #3689166 - 01/27/05 03:32 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know if alcohol helps the brain at all, but I do know that (for women at least) consuming one or two alcoholic beverages each day helps lessen the risk of heart disease and various other illnesses.

--------------------
whoever told you that is your enemy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]