Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Humidity Meter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Tacos, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
Last questions...
    #3687134 - 01/27/05 03:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Okay. I have posted alot on this. I was a bit confused. I know how to do the inoculation now. And getting stuff ready. The only thing I need help with is the fruiting chamber (terrarium). A former poster on here, which I work with at Taco Bell, gave me directions. I am not sure if they are the best. I need a good terrarium which will work great. Keeping humidity right and things like that.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Last questions... [Re: jman9912]
    #3687189 - 01/27/05 03:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

look up the thread on the poor man's pod... it has everything you need

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
Re: Last questions... [Re: Damn_Skippy]
    #3687208 - 01/27/05 03:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah. I've seen that one. I about bought the fish rod bubblers today. I wasnt sure what all I need. How do I keep the humidity and temp. right with the poor mands pod? It doesnt have a whole lot of information, it just has a pic with two rods and a fish bubbler. Do I need vermiculite? Perlite?

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3687237 - 01/27/05 04:01 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

there is a ton of info in there... just have to take the time to read it.

you can use perlite, but geolite (also called leca and hydroton) is better. The humidity is kept up by the bubbling of the air through the geolite and the temp can be kept up by external heater or internal submersible fish tank heater. From what I gathered... a lot of the guys using this pod aren't using a heater.

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3687242 - 01/27/05 04:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I see. How do I get rid of the C02? And it is kind of cold here. It stays about 68 degrees or so in my house. Do I have to keep changing the water out? And how do I do that?

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3687261 - 01/27/05 04:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

it has it all in the thread...

the CO2 is goes out the 2 holes drilled in the top/lid... the bubbling action serves 2 purposes to wick water up the geolite and keep up humidity and to circulate the air in the pod. one guy claimed that his pod was turning the air over every hour. you only need to add more water maybe twice a month, but that is running constantly for a month long

--------------------
~Skipp

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3687293 - 01/27/05 04:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

get yourself a decent air pump... I made the mistake of getting a generic. the profile from petco seems to be a good one(good price too)... also, people have mentioned walmart has a good one too

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3687308 - 01/27/05 04:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah. I am gonna get a decent pump and probably run about 4 of the wands. Two under the geolite, and one on each wall. I need to get a humidity gauge thingy. I'll figure some way to get the temp to stay around 72F-78F.

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3687321 - 01/27/05 04:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you don't need them on the walls... you only need 2 at the most. 4 is over-kill. plus you will have to spend a shit load on a hella good pump for 4. just get 2 that run the length of your rubbermade, and stick'em under the geolite

radioshack has digi hygro/thermometers cheap

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3687331 - 01/27/05 04:31 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oh. As in how cheap? I probably have about 40-50$ to spend on this setup.

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3687353 - 01/27/05 04:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

$20 at the most... I think mine was $9.99

--------------------
~Skipp

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #3687374 - 01/27/05 04:45 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure why you would mount bubblers on the walls of the terrarium. Bubblers are meant to be submerged. I've had a (real) aquarium for awhile now, and I can recall hearing more than once that it is bad for the pump to run bubblers out of water. Two of the "foam wand" bubblers under the geolite should be sufficient to humidify the chamber and evacuate CO2.

One simple way to increase the temperature is to get a light that generates a bit of heat. I have a 10 gallon fishtank w/lid that came with a low-wattage fluorescent light tube that actually increases the temperature in there by 2-3 degrees or so. Obviously you'll want the light sitting over glass/plexiglass/lexan if you decide to do this.

The ideal temperature is in the 70s as you know, but if it happens to dip to 68 or a tad lower the only negative effect will be slower growth. And yes, get a good hygrometer!

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
Re: Last questions... [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3687381 - 01/27/05 04:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Also, you'll want to check the +/- rH rating of the hygrometer. Cheaper hygrometers might be off by +/- 5%. You usually get about what you pay for with the hygrometers. A good source for quality hygrometers is torka.com.

Edited by Land_Crab (01/27/05 04:57 AM)

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Last questions... [Re: Land_Crab]
    #3687406 - 01/27/05 04:59 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

mine is a +/- 5%.... does the job though

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3688495 - 01/27/05 02:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Okay. I think I found a hygrometer. I am looking for somewhere local to buy it from because I want to buy everything today and set up the pod and experiment a little.

Displays indoor and outdoor temperature in Fahrenheit. Displays relative humidity from 20% - 90%. Automatic daily reset option of min/max memory. 12/24 hr. selectable clock with alarm. Weatherproof 10 ft. sensor probe. Built-in table top stand or wall mountable. Requires 1 AA battery.
$17.99

I havent found geolite yet.

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3688530 - 01/27/05 02:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So any help? Will that one work? I am worried about the thing that says: 20%-90% Dont I need higher?

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3688791 - 01/27/05 04:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Okay...Guess not...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Humidity Meter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Tacos, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation