Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Has anyone asked this question?
    #3685525 - 01/26/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm watching THC and they are showing something about the history of the ditillation of crude oil. It's interesting for me, as a chemistry student, to learn about it.

I asked myself though, maybe we shouldn't be pumping large amounts of liquid from our mother, earth? Doesn't it seem make more sense to keep it there and use Hydrogen instead?

Oh right, corporate EVERYWHERE (not just America).

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: Signo]
    #3685543 - 01/26/05 08:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You mean TLC? LOL

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #3685612 - 01/26/05 08:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Wouldn't like THAT very much... :shrug: :wtf:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #3685688 - 01/26/05 09:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No, THC=The History Channel

and this wasn't meant to get political, I was just wondering if people think there will be repercussions from us taking large amounts of oil out of the earth.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3685755 - 01/26/05 09:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There will be, or there already are?

Not just taking them out either, burning billions of gallons of the shiznit. It's the blood of our age.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: Ravus]
    #3685820 - 01/26/05 09:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ugh, dont get me started on fossil fuel combusting issues.

its fucked up on so many levels--political, environmental, and blahhhhhhhh

it just proves how far man is willing to go to fulfill their self-interest

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

InvisiblePaou
Seeker

Loc: Transcendence
    #3685850 - 01/26/05 09:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I dunno about Hydrogen power(can you imagine what would happen if you crashed one of those babies?), but I think there's a future for biodiesel.

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: Paou]
    #3685868 - 01/26/05 09:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

the problem with biodiesel is how much land you would need to grow enough soy to power todays ridiculously high amount of transportation/combustion.

we would have to destroy forests and habitats. granted it would slow global warming and net CO2 emissions, theres other environmental factors.

i think it would be a great bridging step to something greater.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3686107 - 01/26/05 10:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Are you talking about the effects of actually removing the oil from the ground? I've heard theories about this but only from groups who hate fossil fuel to begin with, never from reputable scientific sources. As for the burning of fossil fuels? Well, one volcanic event can put more pollutants (things like CO, CO2, sulfur) and particulate matter into the atmosphere than all the internal combustion engines have since they were invented.

But people get whacky when you talk about it. They prefer to believe that man (led by America) is the evil destroyer of the planet. Truth is, we could try our hardest to destroy the Earth and the only thing we would accomplish is our own demise, along with a small percentage of the rest of life on this planet. Remember, something like 75% of all life on earth exists as nematodes. The life we think of as important (mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, trees) only make up a small percentage of the life on Earth. In a few hundred millenia the Earth would have forgotton all about us and some other dominant species would take our place. It is pure arrogance to think that we could 'destroy' the Earth.

Not to say that I advocate destroying the enivironment. I am a conservationist, and I support research into alternative fuels. But some of the environmental extremists are just completely over the top when you discuss this topic.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3687044 - 01/27/05 01:02 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I guess I was trying to get theories about the removal of the oil. I am well aware of the pollution factor as a consequence. It is sad and I am glad some car manufacturers are starting to invest in Hydrogen cars (BMW) instead of hydrocarbon fuel.

Also, one of the products produced in the distillation process is latex. What happens when there isn't anymore oil to make condoms and gloves?

--------------------

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: Paou]
    #3687052 - 01/27/05 01:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Paou said:
I dunno about Hydrogen power(can you imagine what would happen if you crashed one of those babies?), but I think there's a future for biodiesel.

Like psilygirl said, there isn't enough land to produce enough biodiesel for the growing car market.

MBW is testing the shielding around the liquid hydrogen (which they are well aware is highly volatile in the presense of oxygen) tanks, they have created a product which can sustain a large amount of pressure or heat. Hurray Germany!

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3687055 - 01/27/05 01:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

exactly, they're called hydrogen fuel cells

the H2 molecules essentially hide in the pores of certain metals when not in use.

but the point is, even though H2 is highly reactive, its a sound choice for an energy alternative, and more research is needed to move things along, as our oil reserves are depleting at an alarming rate.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3687064 - 01/27/05 01:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:
the problem with biodiesel is how much land you would need to grow enough soy to power todays ridiculously high amount of transportation/combustion.

I gotta ask.. why soy and not hemp? It is superior in just about every way

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #3687065 - 01/27/05 01:12 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psilygirl said:

we would have to destroy forests and habitats. granted it would slow global warming and net CO2 emissions, theres other environmental factors.

i think it would be a great bridging step to something greater.

What? Fuck that. We'll use hemp. Saving the trees, helping with global warming, and more.

--------------------
delta9

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: delta9]
    #3687068 - 01/27/05 01:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

whether you use soy or hemp, there would be massive land clearing and destruction of already depleting natural habitat.

i agree that hemp/soy/whatever is great, and is a great step in the right direction, but i dont think it could sustain us indefinitely.

--------------------

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Loc: amsterdam
Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3687076 - 01/27/05 01:16 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Are you talking about the effects of actually removing the oil from the ground? I've heard theories about this but only from groups who hate fossil fuel to begin with, never from reputable scientific sources. As for the burning of fossil fuels? Well, one volcanic event can put more pollutants (things like CO, CO2, sulfur) and particulate matter into the atmosphere than all the internal combustion engines have since they were invented.

But people get whacky when you talk about it. They prefer to believe that man (led by America) is the evil destroyer of the planet. Truth is, we could try our hardest to destroy the Earth and the only thing we would accomplish is our own demise, along with a small percentage of the rest of life on this planet. Remember, something like 75% of all life on earth exists as nematodes. The life we think of as important (mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, trees) only make up a small percentage of the life on Earth. In a few hundred millenia the Earth would have forgotton all about us and some other dominant species would take our place. It is pure arrogance to think that we could 'destroy' the Earth.

Not to say that I advocate destroying the enivironment. I am a conservationist, and I support research into alternative fuels. But some of the environmental extremists are just completely over the top when you discuss this topic.

He is right
I am all about the savior of the earth but our iggnoiance shall perseve
sorry but its true
its soooo sad but true
$ before what can help our sons= we dont care about the future but about now

SO SAD

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #3687116 - 01/27/05 01:29 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

but according to the emperor wears no clothes.. farming 6% of the US with hemp would provide for ALL of our energy needs.. and the US is the top consumer of energy in the world. I say farming is better than sucking the earth's lubricant and insulation dry and burning it into the atmosphere.

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: Shroomism]
    #3687125 - 01/27/05 01:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

wow thats a pretty amazing statistic... I'll have to look into that.  Seems almost unfathomable!

I definitely think biodiesel is a step in the right direction, a VERY big step.  However, land use and the fact that diesel engines give off fine particulates that contribute to smog and other air pollution may not make it the ultimate solution, is all I'm pointing out...  I definitely think it's great though. :sun:

--------------------

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Re: Has anyone asked this question? [Re: fee]
    #3687132 - 01/27/05 01:35 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, in the U.S. (the leading consumer of oil), the society is extremely individualistic. As a result, I believe that people feel the need for personal gain and don't think far enough into the future (in other words it's a society which is disconcerned with future generations of human beings). It has been this way for awhile, but perhaps at some point thigs will change and people will realize their own role in the grand scheme of things.

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3687137 - 01/27/05 01:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yeah people have a bad habit of discounting the future and take the "who gives a fuck, I'll be dead anyways" sort of attitude.

we committ these actions now that cost nothing to us, but we are putting a very heavy cost on the future to fix our problems.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies