Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFreeLaws1_6
No Hippy Here

Loc: Tejas
Calling all experienced European Travellers!
    #3683255 - 01/26/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

As you guys may or may not have gathered from some of my other posts- I'm getting ready to head out traveling again. After a few months in the US I am wanting to head out to Europe (and beyond) to explore. We are thinking about heading first to the Czech Republic as we know someone from there, then we'll be heading through the rest of Europe! I have a bunch of research ahead of me to prepare for this, I know, but if anyone can give any first hand suggestions/advice that would be awesome!

Here are some questions:

1. What do I need to pass borders? Just passports? Or are there more needed such as Visas or Id...?

2. How does currency exchange work? Will the dollar do alright or will i need to change currency every country I go to. I know that the Euro is coming up...is that excepted most places?

3. How would you suggest storing money while traveling? I am not really going to have anything still here in the US (I'm probably going to dump everything and just have a back pack and a bank account). Any suggestions to make this easiest?

4. In the group I am traveling with we only have some high school experience in some Spanish and french...will this plus our English do alright or should we make sure to stock up on good translation dictionaries? What languages are the most widespread?

5. What is the best way to travel? Train, bus, plane, hitch, scooter...? By best I guess I am referring to most widespread, fastest, least hassle, cheapest.

6. What kind of security measures are there when traveling? For example, if I get on a bus will they want to shake me down? Or when we cross borders will our knives be taken away?

7. What is the attitude toward drugs in most countries? Is there anywhere to be super cautious with drugs while there? Specifically- mushrooms, LSD, Pot.

8. Does anyone know what it takes to get citizenship in any European Union countries?

9. I've heard it might be a good idea to stay away from being identified as an American...and especially a tourist. Does anyone have any myth busters or suggestions? Should we work on developing an accent of some country or say we're from Canada?

10. If you only had a good size pack on your back what things would you pack in there?

11. And of course any cool European travel stories or suggestions of where to go (i know i know...Amsterdam). We're into squatting, intentional living, wilderness, education/museum, culture-packed places, and of course drugs! Basically everything!

Thanks guys!

--------------------
Free Laws: Things to understand before I am Free

1. I am alone
2. There is Nothing
3. I must actualize myself
4. Sex is a tool for pleasure, not status
5. Dependency restricts me
6. Emotions are dangerous if not administered properly

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: FreeLaws1_6]
    #3683295 - 01/26/05 03:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

1. What do I need to pass borders? Just passports? Or are there more needed such as Visas or Id...?

yes, all that.

2. How does currency exchange work? Will the dollar do alright or will i need to change currency every country I go to. I know that the Euro is coming up...is that excepted most places?

some places it is

3. How would you suggest storing money while traveling? I am not really going to have anything still here in the US (I'm probably going to dump everything and just have a back pack and a bank account). Any suggestions to make this easiest?

travellers cheques in a moneybelt under your belt so it's not visible.

4. In the group I am traveling with we only have some high school experience in some Spanish and french...will this plus our English do alright or should we make sure to stock up on good translation dictionaries? What languages are the most widespread?

You'll do okay. You can do loads with those, and the natives are vrey friendly

5. What is the best way to travel? Train, bus, plane, hitch, scooter...? By best I guess I am referring to most widespread, fastest, least hassle, cheapest.

train bus hitch

6. What kind of security measures are there when traveling? For example, if I get on a bus will they want to shake me down?

only in the ghettos at night

Or when we cross borders will our knives be taken away?

penknives are ok. axes and machetes probably not.

7. What is the attitude toward drugs in most countries? Is there anywhere to be super cautious with drugs while there? Specifically- mushrooms, LSD, Pot.

varies a lot

8. Does anyone know what it takes to get citizenship in any European Union countries?

i think you gotta have a relative or marry a euro

9. I've heard it might be a good idea to stay away from being identified as an American...and especially a tourist. Does anyone have any myth busters or suggestions? Should we work on developing an accent of some country or say we're from Canada?

in some places, yes. not much though unless you're a dick. never apologise from where you come from though - you're not an ambassador or emissary, and people will take you as they find you.

10. If you only had a good size pack on your back what things would you pack in there?

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahaha ..... clothes and stuff

11. And of course any cool European travel stories or suggestions of where to go (i know i know...Amsterdam). We're into squatting, intentional living, wilderness, education/museum, culture-packed places, and of course drugs! Basically everything!

i have a recommendation - Amsterdam!

Thanks guys!

--------------------
buh

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
    #3683302 - 01/26/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I can't answer all of your questions but a good way to travel is by train.. you can get a ticket for 100 euros approx (I would say your best bet is to get euros) that allows you on trains in europe for 6 months.. I'm not sure on the details but I know something like that exists.

Don't take this as gospel but I think with all countries in the EU you don't need a visa, just a passport at the border... this is the case for people from the UK anyway, not sure about americans.

The only countries I know of that are tolerant of drugs are spain (weed is tolerated apparently), UK (they will confiscate your weed and let you go) and Holland (obviously)... ooh and there is Christina in copenhagen too, I have never been there but would LOVE to go.. Check this link for more info. Once again don't take any of this as the truth, it's just from my (sketchy) memory.

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

OfflineFreeLaws1_6
No Hippy Here

Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: shirley knott]
    #3683336 - 01/26/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks so far guys! The info is great! Keep it coming please!

--------------------

1. I am alone
2. There is Nothing

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #3683337 - 01/26/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

czech republic was the worst i found in speaking english, couldnt find anyone at the train station who spoke english, french or italian. other than that english will you most places.

if you have a bit saved up, id recommend getting a eurorail pass. google it, and if its the same as it was before, you have to order it before you leave for europe

and recommendation: Switzerland (my favorite country in the world). interlaken is a place in the middle of mountains and lakes that has some good hostels, specifically one called the mountain hostel you take a cable car up to and its just stunning. definately try to make it to switzerland.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineFreeLaws1_6
No Hippy Here

Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: Tao]
    #3683369 - 01/26/05 03:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
czech republic was the worst i found in speaking english, couldnt find anyone at the train station who spoke english, french or italian. other than that english will you most places.

if you have a bit saved up, id recommend getting a eurorail pass. google it, and if its the same as it was before, you have to order it before you leave for europe

and recommendation: Switzerland (my favorite country in the world). interlaken is a place in the middle of mountains and lakes that has some good hostels, specifically one called the mountain hostel you take a cable car up to and its just stunning. definately try to make it to switzerland.

That sounds beautiful! Could you post that image? It didnt show up for me! This is great info thanks!

--------------------

1. I am alone
2. There is Nothing

OfflineFreeLaws1_6
No Hippy Here

#3683374 - 01/26/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

never mind! Theres the image!

--------------------

1. I am alone
2. There is Nothing

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: Slite]
    #3683382 - 01/26/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Slite is referring to an 'interail pass' which is only available to europeans.

belgium allows small possession of mj and switzerland has stores but they are hidden and not advertised at all (unlike amsterdam), i bet some place on the internet will have listings and addresses.

you should get A Rough Guide to Europe or Lonely Planet: Europe. those are lifesavers

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3683919 - 01/26/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If you have any troubles while in europe just visit one of the American Embassies and they can get you any and all documents required to cross boarders into some of the countries that require the most paperwork. I find it convenient to keep with me at all times a copy of phone numbers to the embassies of the countries I visit.

Just about everyone is accepting the Euro now.

Best suggestion is putting all your money in the bank account of your choosing and get a Visa Checkcard. This way you don't have to worry about currency exchange. Just stop by an ATM and it will give you the currency of the country that you're in obviously. Just be sure that your bank provides a checkcard with lots of logos on the back. For example, Interlink, Plus, Star, etc. These determine which atm's will accept your card. The more the better. Ask your bank about international logos. Most Visa Checkcards work just about anywhere though.

I've found translation dictionaries to be a waste of time. You can usually get by with english just fine. Many, many people throughout Europe speak the english language. Although, some choose not to do so even though they know how. Ahem* fucking parisians *ahem.

Trains, trains, and more trains.

6. What kind of security measures are there when traveling? For example, if I get on a bus will they want to shake me down? Or when we cross borders will our knives be taken away?

Never had any problems myself. Of course I never carried anything more than a utility knife used for camping and such.

Depends on your geographic location. I don't advise traveling with large amounts of any of these substances in your possession, however. In the metropolitan areas you'll have no trouble finding whatever it is you need. Just look around and ask yourself, "Where would I find the drug scene here?" Just follow your nose and don't be afraid to ask around. Just don't ask any uniformed officers where you can score some blow or anything, hehe. Common sense prevails here.

Sorry, no idea on this one :shrug:

Hehe, you'll definately find areas where Americans are hated and then again you'll find areas where they're loved. A trick that I've noticed lots of Canadian backpackers doing is sewing a Canadian flag patch onto thier backpacks. I once asked one of them why they all do it. She told me "Duh, so we aren't mistaken for obnoxious Americans". :smile:

Whatever fits. Be sure to put a padlock or combination lock of some sort in there though. You may find yourself staying in places that are only a room full of bunks with a chest at the foot of the beds. It's like a communal motel room thingy. I forget what they're called atm. More on this in the next quesiton.

Heh, I've been all over Europe. England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Iceland, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, Spain, Italy, Greece, and more. My only suggestion to you is to just go. Only plan a few days ahead if you are crossing a border. If not, then make no plans just wake up and go. You'll find places to stay that exist solely for the purpose of giving backpackers like yourselves a place to sleep at night. They are CHEAP! Like $20 bucks a night. Sure it's only a bunk but that's all you really need is a place to crash. You should be out seeing the sights during the day and partying half the night anyways. Most of all, have a great time. It's a wonderful experience.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3684154 - 01/26/05 06:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:You'll find places to stay that exist solely for the purpose of giving backpackers like yourselves a place to sleep at night. They are CHEAP! Like $20 bucks a night.

well, across much of eastern Europe you can get a crash pad for less than $5 no problem. for $20 you can even get a bed in London. if you're prepared to rough it and you wanna keep it cheap (so you can spend on food, drink and fun rather than time spent asleep) you can bank on an average of about $16 a night average.

back in the day when i backpacked europe you could go $10/day including verything from transport to food to adventure, but i always sought out the cheapest fleapit in town. take nothing valuable you wopuld be distraught to lose, and go with an open mind - you'll love it. Seeing Europe is like seeing the Americas and more, easily. comparable to Asia - loads of cultural variety.

don't get sucked into the mindset of 'monday france, tuesday spain, wednesday italy, thursday germany' etc..... give each place a chance, a week at least. you'll love greece, belgium, england, italy (expensive) and more. plan to work as you go if you can - check this out:

link

--------------------
buh

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: shirley knott]
    #3684290 - 01/26/05 07:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I seem to remember these places as being called brothels but that can't be right. I googled brothel and it said 'whore house', hehe. Maybe they were called brothels and it just means something different in British English? Any help here Shirley? You're from London. It's driving me crazy, lol.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
    #3684332 - 01/26/05 07:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

nope, you're right. a brothel is a whorehouse, and you won't get to stay in one unless times are bad for them - happens sometimes though  :laugh: (but mostly in central america). usually they can get more by renting the rooms by the hour, and you don't wanna come home to find someone in your bed fucking :rotfl:

always take a small padlock with you, and a lightweight chain for train roofracks and for backpack-bed lockings. it really depends what you're after. if you wanna go cheap, it's definitely possible by hiching, slumming the accommodation and eating from street vendors  :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
    #3684447 - 01/26/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Been a few years since I've been there, but I lived in Germany for seven years.

I never needed anything but a passport.

As has been mentioned, bank card and ATM is your best bet.  The Euro is accepted in most of western Europe, now.  EVERY and I mean EVERY McDonald's across the world MUST accept USD, and they will give you change in the local currency.  Their exchange rate sucks, though.  On or around borders there are usually currency exchange places (hit one up going to Czech one time), their rates suck, too.  Banks will also usually exchange currency.  Best outside of the ATM, in my experience.

Again, as has been said, I think the check card might be your best bet...  But you want a back up, too, or you'll be shit out of luck if you lose/get the card stolen.  So probably some traveller's cheques, too.

MOST of Europe speaks English.  SOME of Europe refuse to (again, as has been mentioned, damn frenchies).  In most European countries, they start learning English in school at a fairly early age and take it for a while.  However, having some latin based languages (french and spanish) will definately help you out in places like France or Italy.

Trains for distance and, at least in Germany, the local bus and street cars are cheap and effective.

On some trains they'll search you, especially leaving Holland :p.  It wasn't generally that excessive, but I don't know how it is in these days.

As mentioned, it really varies, but in general it is more accepting than in the US.  In fact, pot in MOST places in Europe I can almost guarantee you will get in *very* little trouble for, unless you have large amounts.  Absinthe is legal in Spain :wink:.

Living there for a bit, marrying in, much the same as the US, I would assume, but I don't know.  In this one instance, I am going to be an ass - you should have googled it.

Really depends on where you are...  Though again, been a few years, when I was there, for every person that HATED Americans there was one that LOVED Americans.  In Paris, France, definately play Canadian, though - speaking some french helps this charade :smile:.

Clothes.  Water.  Smallish sleeping bag.  *shrug*

Yes, Amsterdam...  But Ibiza isn't bad, if touristy.  There's some happenin' spots in like Malta and around the coast of Italy... Really, you could list some good chill spots all around Europe :smile:.  One place you absolutely *must* go is Heidelberg, Germany.  My favorite place in the whole world.  Very beautiful.  Very cool.  And it's Highdelberg, baby :wink:

--------------------
delta9

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3684505 - 01/26/05 07:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

13eetleJuice said:
Yeah, I seem to remember these places as being called brothels but that can't be right. I googled brothel and it said 'whore house', hehe. Maybe they were called brothels and it just means something different in British English? Any help here Shirley? You're from London. It's driving me crazy, lol.

I believe the term you are looking for is "hostel". And no, I've never stayed in one.

Try hostels.com

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling all experienced European Travellers! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3684770 - 01/26/05 08:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

YES! That's the word that's been on the tip of my tongue! Hostel! Oh it was driving me crazy. You guys ever get that? Where you know the word but just can't get it out? Oh well, thanks, Summit.

--------------------

OfflineFreeLaws1_6
No Hippy Here

#3686160 - 01/27/05 12:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wow guys! All this info as DAMN Awesome! THank you so much! Really! This is a huge help! i know that the research will being me some good info but there's nothing like some real life trial and tribulation suggestions!

--------------------

1. I am alone
2. There is Nothing

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub