Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinedjRetox
Dried out PF cakes??
    #368213 - 08/07/01 02:26 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I inoculated 6 1/2 pint jars, incubated them at about 90 F(behind my refridge.), and birthed them 21 days later. They were all fully colonized when birthed. It has been a week since their birthday and nothing is happening. I am worried the cakes might be too dried out. Some of them have a bit of bluish green tinting to them. I've read that this happens sometimes after a couple of flushes because they get dehydrated. I dunked a couple of them over night, last night and they regained a nice clean white color. I cased one cake as per the Sea of Shrooms tek and cased another with straight verm. When I cased them, both were hard to crumble. They seemed very dry. Hopefully the casing will help these guys regain some moisture. The cakes that are still whole have little bumps on them, but they haven't done anything for days. As this is my first attempt, I don't know if they are primordia forming or not. I am hoping the dunking will help them. any ideas what's going on?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefredhedd
Re: Dried out PF cakes?? [Re: djRetox]
    #368217 - 08/07/01 02:35 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

no i m a first time grower and i have no idea what's going on. but i m glad to help out when i can.

i'm fred
kill yourself

--------------------
i'm fred
kill yourself

OfflinedjRetox
Re: Dried out PF cakes?? [Re: fredhedd]
    #368221 - 08/07/01 02:40 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you for your thoughtful insight.

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
    #368223 - 08/07/01 02:42 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

great post, fredhedd, that helped him out a lot...

For the un-cased cakes (by the way, are they in a terrarium?) you can put some moist verm. on the top of them, and make sure they are getting enough humidity...

For the cased ones, you can mist them, and make sure that they're in a humid environment as well.

Pinning can take 2 weeks after birthing, so be patient. Those little bumps on the whole cakes are a good sign, pinning should start soon. Make sure you are exchanging air 2-4 times a day, and make sure they're getting some light.

You said that dunking them made them white again, so that's also a good sign. Good luck.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflinedjRetox
Re: Dried out PF cakes?? [Re: Shiznitz]
    #368226 - 08/07/01 02:53 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the info Shiznitz. Yes, the cakes are in a terrarium and everything is getting atleast a few hours of light a day. The SOS casings are in the terr. too. How often should I mist those? I keep the straight verm casing in a Rubbermaid container sealed up. It won't fit in my terrarium. The myc. is starting to poke through the casing. How long should I expect that to take to start pinning? I exchange the air 3-4 times a day. Also, is 100% humidity too high for my terrarium? I know they need a lot of moisture. As long as there's no condensation on the cakes there ok right? Thanks again Shiz.

OfflineShiznitz
addict
    #368257 - 08/07/01 03:35 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

You can mist the SOS casings about once every one to two days... This is if they need it. If they seem moist enough, then you don't need to mist. Do you have perlite in your terrarium?

The straight verm,. casing sealed in the container: keeping it sealed up is no good. Is the top of the container clear so that it can receive light? DOes it have holes in it? Since it can't fit into your terrarium, I think you should put some plastic wrap on for a lid, poke some tiny holes in it, and then give it light/fan it 3-4 times a day. There should be enough room over top of them so that the mushies can grow.

Since the mycelium is poking through, you should cover those first spots of myc. with moist verm (a very thin layer). This will increase yeilds due to even pinning. Expect pinning in 2 days up to 2 weeks. In your case, it should be sooner than later because you are giving them adequate light and air-exchange.

Yes, 100% humidity is too high. Your mushrooms will have fuzzy mycelium growing on them, which is a sign of too much humidity. Keep it in the 85-90 range.

Condensation on cakes is kind of bad thing, but just because there's no condensation doesn't mean they're ok either.
Just follow the tek instructions, and you should be ok.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflinedjRetox
    #368281 - 08/07/01 04:39 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

The straight verm,. casing sealed in the container: keeping it sealed up is no good. Is the top of the container clear so that it can receive light? DOes it have holes in it? Since it can't fit into your terrarium, I think you should put some plastic wrap on for a lid, poke some tiny holes in it, and then give it light/fan it 3-4 times a day. There should be enough room over top of them so that the mushies can grow.

This is exactly what I have done. When I said sealed up, I meant it has Saran wrap over the top with holes punched in it. I wet the bottom side of it so it sticks to the edges of the container. It is about 6 inches from the top of the tub to the top of the casing. I imagine that should be enough room to grow, yea? In my terrarium, I have a couple of panthose filled with perlite lining the bottom. The water is about one quarter the depth of the perlite(1.75-2in). I mixed in a little H2O2 to keep contams down. I have an air pump in a filtered box on a 1hour on/1hour off cycle 24/7. I had it running on all the time, but I thought that might introduce contam easier. Even then I couldn't keep humidity below 100%. Would you recommend propping the lid open on my terrarium? I thought about this but wasn't sure if I would compromise the sterile environment. Is it ok to have 100% humidity before fruiting begins and cut it down after shrooms start to appear? Ideally, I would like to keep the lid closed as much as possible.
Also, I am trying one cake the invitro hippie tek way. Should I keep this jar in the terrarium as well? or just let it sit out on a shelf? thanks again.

OfflineShiznitz
addict
    #368285 - 08/07/01 04:56 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

6 inches should be enough room to grow. The best thing to do though ofcoarse, is to make another terrarium (you can use a big plastic "storage" box with some perlite).

100% humidity is never really ok to have. At the beginning, 100% is ok, but then you want it lowered to initiate pinning. Once the pins start growing into shrooms, you don't want 100% humidity then either because your shrooms will droop and grow fuzzy mycelium on them.

To reduce humidity, take some of the water out of the perlite. Fan a lot (but you seem to be doing that already.) Make sure you FAN it, not just open the lid...

Leaving the lid open a bit can introduce contams easier, and I think it will lower your humidity a bit too much. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

The invitro jar can be left anywhere that is clean... On a shelf, in a box, etc. Putting it in the terrarium will do nothing for it, except steam up the putside of the jar, and maybe it will make the inside too humid. Just leave it on a clean shelf, and give it light. Unscrew the jar lid about a quarter turn to let a bit of air exchange in. Do this only when the cake is 100% colonized, and only in a clean place.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

OfflinedjRetox
    #368295 - 08/07/01 05:34 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you again Shiz. I am indebted to you. Let me know if you are ever in Austin TX, you can enjoy the fruits of your advice.

OfflineShiznitz
addict
    #368303 - 08/07/01 06:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

No problemo djR...
Have fun with those mushrooms.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #368336 - 08/07/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

i once cased a cake that was as har as cement - literally i could not break it up at all it was SOO hard - within four days, mycelium popped up... My casing was a little extra moist to try to rehydrate the cake

Meep Meep!! Ali G's Funky Yardie!!
Try my website : Closet Masturbation

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #368338 - 08/07/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

i once cased a cake that was as hard as cement - literally i could not break it up at all it was SOO hard - within four days, mycelium popped up... My casing was a little extra moist to try to rehydrate the cake
Fargen' hell - i posted twice again!! Sorry mods!!
Meep Meep!! Ali G's Funky Yardie!!
Try my website : Closet Masturbation

Edited by bluemeanie on 08/07/01 08:39 PM.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies