Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleswm
Stranger
Loc: Ohio
What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income?
    #3681186 - 01/26/05 12:21 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I want to lose about 15 or 20 pounds.I don't have money for a gym membership.I do have some dumbbells but no bench or anything like that.
I've been doing push ups,sit ups,chin ups and running a little bit, I'm a smoker so I get winded pretty quick ( I'm trying to quit).
So can anyone recommend a good work out routine without any weight equipment other than dumbbells?
I don't know if this will help or not but I'm 6'1 207.I skip breakfast,eat a small bag of chips around lunch time and for my one meal a day I usually eat allot.Its hard to describe what I mean by allot,some days I might eat two quarter pounders other days I may eat allot of rice a vegetables.
As of recently I usually max out at about 30-35 push ups,40-50 sit ups, 10-15 chin ups and with the running I don't make it very far without hacking up a lung :frown:
Any advice from anyone on maybe a diet and exercise routine would be appreciated.

--------------------
I can't spell and I have poor grammar.The crap I just posted is proof enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: swm]
    #3681561 - 01/26/05 01:36 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I skip breakfast,eat a small bag of chips around lunch time and for my one meal a day I usually eat allot.Its hard to describe what I mean by allot,some days I might eat two quarter pounders other days I may eat allot of rice a vegetables.

I think the first thing you should change is your diet. Eat breakfast. something during the day (no bag of chips, but sandwiches or something) and eat healthy dinner. So no quarterpounders etc. also eat some fruit.

Stop smoking :smirk:. this will help a lot with the running and the running is good for loosing weight and of coarse it's healthy too. keep doing those push ups etc :thumbup:. Decide what muscles you want to get stronger or bigger and train those with your dumbbells. I bet you can find a cheap book with many dumbbell exercises for different muscle groups. You can probably find plenty of exercises on the Internet too.

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: stefan]
    #3681671 - 01/26/05 01:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, its hard to both lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You are going to want to eat roughly 130 grams of protein a day, to promote muscle mass, and eat about 2000 calories a day. Make sure you eat a lot of fruit, also chicken is the most excellent source of protein you can eat when you are trying to lose weight, since it has minimal calories, if you eat a boneless skinless chicken breast you are looking at about 40 grams of protein, with only around 190 calories.

--------------------

Invisibleswm
Stranger
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3684863 - 01/26/05 06:49 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the replies.

--------------------

Offlinenotthesameperson
Stranger
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: swm]
    #3685622 - 01/26/05 08:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hey if you want to tone your body you have to sweat alot and running is the best thing for that run about 2-4 miles a day and you will see a change fast and if you smoke run about 1-2 cuz i know you cant handle the 2-4 haha and eating right is a big part and to build the muscle doing push ups and stuff like that will help

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: notthesameperson]
    #3686865 - 01/27/05 12:11 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I do push ups, crunches, dumbells, I even got the indoor pull-up bar I wanted for Christmas.  Running is too hard for me since I smoke daily, though by walking every day I conteract this (resting heart rate is still about 60).  I tested myself once to see how far my lungs could take me, and it was 2.1 miles before I had to stop and walk.  Pretty sad, huh? :naughty:

I mostly keep my weight down by walking everywhere and eating only healthy food.  I stopped eating fast food and drinking sugar drinks like Coke and Mr Pibs and noticed a difference right away (I went from 180 to 165 in three weeks)

Remember that when you are lifting and doing cardio at the same time, your weight will gradually increase as muscle builds up, then start to decrease as you burn calories.  Also remember that weight is not a direct indicator of health.

--------------------

OfflineSpleh
Ow..?
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3688316 - 01/27/05 11:53 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Make sure you eat breakfast, it's good for your metabolism. Also don't try starving yourself you'll end up fatter. Just try and get a good routine going, try at least 30 minutes of excercise a day if you can manage. Buy a skipping rope if you want a cheap effective form of excercise other then running.

If you want to increase the strain of your pushups put your legs on a raised surface like a bed or a couch or a chair and do wide spread pushups (there's also many other pushup types just search them up on the net). After a while you'll start to love the endorphins you get from exercise, just try not to break routine because it's hard to get back into. If you really don't end up doing anything else just jog on the spot.

Sorry if that post is incredibly disjointed.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: Spleh]
    #3688533 - 01/27/05 01:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Keep your metabolism going by eating 6 times a day, smaller portions. Starving yourself by eating once a day is very bad and the weight you lose from doing that will be muscle not fat.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: Noetical]
    #3689205 - 01/27/05 03:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I suggest getting a subscription to Mens Health and buying the book The Abs Diet. If you're serious about good health, you should subscribe to the #1 mens health magazine.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
    #3693309 - 01/28/05 11:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I think the first thing you should change is your diet. Eat breakfast. something during the day (no bag of chips, but sandwiches or something) and eat healthy dinner. So no quarterpounders etc. also eat some fruit.

Stop smoking . this will help a lot with the running and the running is good for loosing weight and of coarse it's healthy too. keep doing those push ups etc . Decide what muscles you want to get stronger or bigger and train those with your dumbbells. I bet you can find a cheap book with many dumbbell exercises for different muscle groups. You can probably find plenty of exercises on the Internet too.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good advice!

OfflineyesNick
kitchy

Loc: Communist China
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: FlusH]
    #3694382 - 01/28/05 05:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The 6 meals a day thing is very important. Basically for losing fat or gaining muscle the first place you have to look is your diet. The diet is where everything starts. You need to do calculations and figure out exactly what you are eating. You need to find some information online that shows you what to eat. If you are not consistent and disciplined than your results will be poor. If you want to lose fat you should do some cardio exercise in the morning before you eat anything, this way your body will not have food to burn and will instead burn fat. Moderate weight training is also important to prevent your body from burning muscle.

Invisibleswm
Stranger
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: yesNick]
    #3696158 - 01/29/05 12:18 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think I'm going to look up some low calorie meal plans and try to quit smoking.My crappy eating habits along with the cigs is most likely whats hindering my progress.
I just want to be in good shape come summer time.
Thanks everyone.

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3699007 - 01/29/05 04:02 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

push ups, crunches, squats/lunges with your dumbells at your sides, running, healthy diet including plenty of salads w/ veggies and light meats (this can easilly be done as cheap as your regular diet), buy a pullup bar. uh, the gym would be very key in your endeavor but i know how things can be. good luck

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Edited by TODAY (01/29/05 04:02 PM)

Offlinebjjrevol
Jiujitsuka

Loc: AZ
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: TODAY]
    #3703950 - 01/30/05 07:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Russian kettlebell workouts are a kickass way to build strength and lose fat, but the bells themselves are pretty expensive. You can make an adjustable weight bell out of pipe fixtures and plate weights that will save you a bundle, though. Go to dragondoor.com and check out the forums for training tips. Also, powdered milk is a super cheap source of protein, at around a cent per gram. Eggs are pretty cheap, too, and their protein is the most easily used by your body. A better option is egg whites, since they don't have quite as much cholesterol, but they're a little more expensive so use your discretion. Good luck dude

--------------------
"If God wanted people to die with dignity, He wouldn't have created modern medical technology capable of artificially prolonging life." - The Onion

"What is best in life? To crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laugh at the weeping of their women."
- Conan the Barbarian

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3704726 - 01/30/05 10:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

this my sound stupid but use your laundry basket for arms and shoulders (mine was usually full and weighed 30-40 pounds)

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Invisibleswm
Stranger
Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: MrBump]
    #3704943 - 01/30/05 10:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What kind of exercises can I do with a laundry basket?It doesn't sound stupid,I just don't know what you mean.

--------------------

Invisibleswm
Stranger
    #3704991 - 01/30/05 10:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My biceps and lower abdomen are my main problem areas.I can't seem to loose the pudge basically I have a four pack.My biceps look too small for my type of body.To put it short and sweat I can't get rid of my gut and build up my arms.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3705001 - 01/30/05 10:57 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

before i could afford to buy some free weights i used it for curls, tricep excersises and shoulder excersises.

for tri's hold the basket behind your back and lift up toward the ceiling, for shoulders hold the bassket out w/ straight arms and lift/lower.
curls are obvious.

i have a 3 ft. tall skinny basket with handles tho,

its not perfect but its free.

you can find various household items like this that would suffice for free weights.

just think like Rocky IV.

edit: wrong Rocky (im so ashamed)

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Edited by MrBump (01/30/05 10:58 PM)

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Re: What's the best way to lose weight and gain muscle on a limited income? [Re: MrBump]
    #3711756 - 02/01/05 03:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

This is a really good site. I'm not sure if it's mentioned here yet but if you're serious about getting into shape and bulking up you've got to PUSH yourself. If you can, go for mountain hikes, or runs. I find hiking up steep hills, as lame as it sounds, a really good way to sweat my ass off and lose some weight. Remember though, you might be a smoker and it might hurt to sweat and cough and feel like you're dying, but every time you push yourself it'll get easier and easier. You've got to drive hard.

With exercises like curls and pushups and all that jazz I like to do a pyramid type workout. For example if you're doing bicep curls use a weight that you can comfortably, but not too comfortably, curl 12 times. Take a 30 second break, then do it 10 times, another break then 8, 6, 4, 2, etc. It's a great way to push yourself.

For pushups start off by doing ten, take a break, do 11, 12, etc until you max out. It gets tough after awhile. Once you max out then desecend one pushup at a time until you reach ten again. Or until you fall flat on your face in a puddle of sweat and satisfaction.

I think the worst thing a person can do is only go half assed. You don't get results if you don't sweat and if you're not trying your ass off. It just doesn't happen. You'll sit at the same plateau for months and you'll give up when you don't see results. A good thing to do is get a buddy into it and do it together. Push yourself in a competitive way. Not too serious, but enough to egg each other on, to push a little further.

Of course always be safe. Don't overstrain yourself. You've got to learn your limits but you've also got to push yourself. If you're doing it right you'll see awesome results and you'll be stoked.

That website is really handy. Best of luck. Hope you stick to your goals.

Oh yeah, like it's already been said make sure you eat right!

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

Offlinezenmunk
King of thepickle people.
 User Gallery

#3717150 - 02/02/05 01:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Like a meteor, like darkness, as a flickering lamp, An illusion, like hoar-frost or a bubble, Like clouds, a flash of lightning, or a dream: So is all conditioned existence to be seen. -buddha

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals