Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
I hate making life altering decisions!
    #3679203 - 01/25/05 08:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm always afraid I'll make the wrong one and regret it later.  Here's my current options.

Option #1-
My company said I could move to San Diego sometime this year.  They will have an opening for me there if I want it.
Benefits- Living near the ocean again (my wife and I both miss it).  Not having to find a new job.
Drawbacks- California is too damn expensive.  I'd never be able to own a house there like I do here.  Also, I don't like a lot of the laws in California.

Option #2-
Stay here in Las Vegas and invest in property.  I am looking at buying 40 acres in Nortwestern Arizona.
Benefits- It is the most stable option.  I am secure in my work and financial position here.  I also love Northern Arizona and it would be awesome to own a big piece of land and start building a summer/vacation home.
Drawbacks-  Its just the "status quo".  I always dread the thought that I might miss out on something great elsewhere by not taking the chance and moving (but theres always the chance I'd regret the move! :crazy: ).

Option #3-
Move to Hawaii.  Yes, I have seriuosly been considering this as an option.  My brother is living on the 'big island' (Hawaii) and he has got me interested.  He swears he could get me plenty of work, and after some research I actually found out that its not too expensive to consider owning property there eventually.  It would actually be cheaper than San Diego! Hard to believe, but true.
Benefits-  Do I have to actually list them?!
Drawbacks- Very risky.  There would be a good chance that things may not work out and in a years time I could be right back here in Vegas with my tail between my legs trying to get back on my feet.  And in the meantime I would have lost my house/job/etc.

Remember I am not a single guy who can just drop everything and go.  I have a home and a lot of things that would have to be either liquidated or stored if I moved.  And I have a wife to keep happy also.  And if you want to know what it is to be miserable, then just make your wife miserable and you'll see! :grin:

So here is a poll to see what you all think...not that I'd actually make up my mind according to your opinions, but its fun anyway! :grin:
Where should TTS live?
You may choose only one
Move to San Diego
Stay in Vegas and buy Arizona land
Go to Hawaii you big pussy!
Move in with Sir-Tokes-a-Lot

Votes accepted from (01/25/05 08:15 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
Re: I hate making life altering decisions! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3679268 - 01/25/05 08:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck California. You have the ocean in Hawaii.

I'd suggest visiting Hawaii. Get a feel for it and look for a job. If all seems solid go for it.

--------------------

OfflineFreeLaws1_6
No Hippy Here

Loc: Tejas
    #3679276 - 01/25/05 08:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Tisk Tisk- your wife's state of mind effects you that much? That's why I vote non-monogamously! Shake it up, liquidate your shit and live your dream of Hawaiian days!

Oh and detach yourself from the dependency on your wife (and her on you). Bold statements I know. I dont mean to offend, and I dont mean leave her, just free yourself (and same with her).

--------------------
Free Laws: Things to understand before I am Free

1. I am alone
2. There is Nothing
3. I must actualize myself
4. Sex is a tool for pleasure, not status
5. Dependency restricts me
6. Emotions are dangerous if not administered properly

Offlinecisole
Master of the Beer Bong

Loc: NM
    #3679289 - 01/25/05 08:41 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks for a vacation, and it was awesome, I would go back any day....

However Im not sure if I would want to live there.... Something about that I could drive around the whole Island in no time, and that was what I was limited to turned me off about living there

--------------------
is it life that keeps us going, or us that keeps life going?

OfflineBluntForceTrauma
Hmmm...

Re: I hate making life altering decisions! [Re: cisole]
    #3679381 - 01/25/05 09:04 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'd Stay where you are, just seems simpler, and easier, besides it seems you have all that you'll ever need there.

--------------------
Poop.

Invisibleadrug

#3679449 - 01/25/05 09:20 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I say stay in vegas, buy some land in AZ. You can always move later if you really REALLY want to.

Invisibleninetynine
puke boy skeleton face
 User Gallery

Loc: no hands land, az
Re: I hate making life altering decisions! [Re: BluntForceTrauma]
    #3679488 - 01/25/05 09:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

while anything could work out great, i'd pick the safest bet with the best chance of happiness. the vegas/arizona option soulds like that would be it. while it might not be as "new" as moving, it certanly could be just as fun and rewarding, if not more. i've always been torn between the city and nature. and you could have both! but that's just me. hehe good luck man.

and you know, i fucking hate life altering decisions too.

--------------------

2,5-dimethoxy-4-astatophenethylamine

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: I hate making life altering decisions! [Re: ninetynine]
    #3679513 - 01/25/05 09:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

land idea is my vote, so i can come visit you soon :wink:

selfish i know!

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #3679567 - 01/25/05 09:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

man, hawaii?! fuck ya! but id go there for a visit first. maybe an extended vacation of like a month or so, see what kind of work you could dig up, then move there if it seems ok. the only thing that would suck about you moving to hawaii, aside from it not working out and moving back, would be that it would be alot harder for you to make it to the gatherings. but then again, you living in hawaii leaves the potential of having one hell of a kick ass gathering there! i dunno man, im pretty much a pussy when it comes to making these types of decisions. id prolly go for staying where you are, buy a house. 40 acres in northern az? damn, that would be sweet.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineEternalMetal
Member of theBlack LabelSociety
Re: I hate making life altering decisions! [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3679767 - 01/25/05 10:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I recommend staying where you are, better safe than sorry. If you like where you are living now, then i dont see the point in moving. Going for a month vacation to hawaii to see how you like it isnt a bad option either. And if you get settled and shit, just sell the house you have, buy one in hawaii and have fun. But hawaii seems more like a treat thab a place to live. It will get old after a while.

--------------------
DXM and Weed = Happy

Invisibleblissedout Happy Birthday
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
    #3679906 - 01/25/05 10:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

You seem like a cool individual, Summit. I think that you should stay in Vegas and buy you some more land. There is alot to be said about owning your own property!! It has stability written all over it. Stability is one of the keys to happiness, imho. Good Luck, my friend, in whatever thing that you choose to do.

--------------------

:murray:

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
    #3682306 - 01/26/05 10:44 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I might be in the same boat as you pretty soon! (see my post called Island people vs. Continent people? for the whole story)

A big part of it is how attached you are to your things, and how important saving up for the future is to you. You can lead a fat and happy life (not to mention secure) by staying where you are. On the other hand, if you both like the ocean and your brother can hook you up, move to Hawaii and don't even worry about California! A nice place, but like you said, Hawaii is actually cheaper ?!?! You can give up most of your stuff and move to Hawaii, be a bit poorer, and have a great experience, or stay here and never know what you're missing.

...... yeah, that wasn't much help, was it?

I do wish you the best of luck on your decision! Everything happens for a reason :smile:

On a selfish note, tell me all about Hawaii, because moving there might be in the cards for me soon...

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I hate making life altering decisions! [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3682473 - 01/26/05 11:56 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Looks like the "stay in Vegas and become a land baron"  option is winning.  Maybe in a year or so we could have a gathering on my Arizona land!  :grin:

Quote:

agr8fulchick said:
On a selfish note, tell me all about Hawaii, because moving there might be in the cards for me soon...

Honestly, I couldn't tell you much about Hawaii myself, just what I've been told by others.  My wife grew up there.  And my brother has lived there on and off.  He's been there for over a year this time and it looks like it might be permanent now.

I do know that it is a lot more expensive on Oahu.  Oahu is what most people think of when they think of Hawaii (Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, the famous 'North Shore' surf).  Also, Maui is expensive now also.  And there are several other less-populated islands.  But there is still reasonably priced (in Hawaiian terms  :tongue: ) property on Hawaii, the biggest island where the active volcanoes are.  That is where my brother is living.

However, if you are just planning on living there as a renter and not buying property then Oahu would probably be the most suitable for most people.  It is the most populated and best known.  There is probably much more night life and much greater opportunity to find work and housing.  Just remember, the cost of living in Hawaii will seem outrageous compared to almost anywhere on the mainland...but its Hawaii!!

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
    #3682526 - 01/26/05 12:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info! I think that the jobs I could apply for are mostly on Maui. If I did live there I'd probably rent a place as close to work as I could so that I could bike in every day. I'd also raid the farmer's markets like a fruit and fish-eating local to save my grocery bill!

Thanks for the info :smile:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3690836 - 01/27/05 11:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Damnit!  Now the boss is trying to make this complicated!  Talked to him on the phone today and he tells me that if I go to San Diego it will be as a promotion.  He wants me to help run the operation there.  More money, more benefits, etc.  But he said it was my decision, I could stay here or go there.  Either way I was secure in my job with the company.  I told him I was worried about the price of houses there and he said he would talk to me about it next week when he comes up here.
:eek:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub