Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents
    #3679015 - 01/25/05 05:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050125/ap_on_hi_te/canada_blackberry_dispute_1

Some people thought it was too good to be true. "No way?! A successful Canadian technology?". Turns out it was. As you may have heard, a battle has been raging in the US courts over 16 patents stolen from an American company and used in Blackberry technology. Now the Canadian government has officially endorsed this and even had the balls to tell the US we have no right to enforce these patents, even in our own country.

Quote:

Canada claims a recent U.S. federal court ruling against Research In Motion Ltd., the Ontario-based makers of the BlackBerry, threatens to have a "troubling effect of chilling innovation by Canadian companies."

Maybe if they did the right thing and at least payed royalties on US sales, they could continue thier "innovation".

This is just another story in a pattern of Canadians ripping off US intellectual property and selling it back to us at discount rates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: Catalysis]
    #3679250 - 01/25/05 06:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Chalk one up for Canada.

I don't care for intellectual property. It is not tangible, and cannot be stolen. In this case the canadian company did not take the technology away from the US company, it apparently was just able to profit off it better. Thats the free market for you.

This is just another story in a pattern of Canadians ripping off US intellectual property and selling it back to us at discount rates.

Can you give me some examples?

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #3679394 - 01/25/05 07:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The pharmaceutical industry.

So what is to prevent giant corporations from taking every persons inventions and running them out of the market?

Edited by Catalysis (01/25/05 07:16 PM)

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: Catalysis]
    #3679616 - 01/25/05 08:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I do have to agree with Catylist how it is bullshit that Canada reaps the benefits and gets the credit for American research. This Im sure will fall through in the court of law though since techniques and styles cannot be patented or copyrighted. It looks like this particular company's indsutry secret leaked and even though they put there hard earned money and time into it, the techniqe is availabe for anybody to exploit. It's just like Courna Sanders Original Chicken recipe with his special Blend of herbs and Spices. Sure you can Copyright KFC, the colors, the name, the logos etc.... but if that recipe gets into the wrong hands, anybody and everybody would be allowed to take a piece.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3679697 - 01/25/05 08:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah you are right but the real problem with this is that its not a secret. Canadians can just go through the US patent database and essentialy take whatever they want and market it as their own.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3679912 - 01/25/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.

- Thomas Jefferson

I say IP patents are unjust and therefore should be disobeyed or disregarded by all.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: newuser1492]
    #3680630 - 01/25/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck that. If I spend money and time to do research, why should someone with liquid capital be able to corner the market using my work without compensation? Ideas require investment and, therefore, they are worth money just like any other product that requires investment. I don't see your point. This is just plain stealing. It is beyond stealing because they are recovering profit from stolen goods (the idea that was invested in) that isn't even realized yet.

Why shouldn't i be able to walk into walmart and take what i please? Sure they invested money in those products but those products inevitably came from resources available to all of us right? Just because I am capable of knitting a shirt doesn't mean I can walk into a store and take whatever shirt I want. Im not just paying for the materials to make a shirt, im paying for the intangible aspects such as the time devoted by workers to make the shirt.

Edited by Catalysis (01/25/05 11:02 PM)

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3681428 - 01/26/05 01:06 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PsillyNilly said:
I It's just like Courna Sanders Original Chicken recipe with his special Blend of herbs and Spices. Sure you can Copyright KFC, the colors, the name, the logos etc.... but if that recipe gets into the wrong hands, anybody and everybody would be allowed to take a piece.

KFC recipe:
2 cups of flour,
1/2 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp thyme,
1/2 tsp basil,
1/2 tsp oregano,
1 tbsp celery salt,
1 tbsp black pepper,
1 tbsp dry mustard,
4 tbsp paprika,
2 tsp garlic salt,
1 tsp ground ginger,
3 tbsp MSG (accent)
Mix all ingrediants in a large bowl.
Dip chicken pieces in beaten eggs,
Then turn them over in regular bread crumbs, (commercial)
Finally plunge them into the above mix.
heat pressure cooker up to 350 and submerge chicken. put on the lid and start 15 minute count.

now, take over the world.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: automan]
    #3682450 - 01/26/05 09:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I know that recipe... It was invented by a Canadian  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #3682740 - 01/26/05 11:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Give me a break. This thread isn't worth my reply.

(this is a pseudo-reply)

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: automan]
    #3685937 - 01/26/05 09:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I never said anybody would be able to take over the world with the recipe....besides KFC has such a threshold with there partiular unique flavoer that it would be too late for anybody to capatalize on those ingredients....even if your search on the google did come up with the exact recipe. I was trying to make an analogy to compare to the Blackberry situation. But thanks for the recipe. Ill test it out and see if it compares.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3686241 - 01/26/05 10:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well its about time our pussy ass gov didnt take one up the ass from bush...although i agree with you its a pretty stupid one to back.  but when you look at our government, nto at all suprising.

states takes our natural resources, we will take tehir technology :smile: id prefer to reverse that, but oh well :shrug:

teh clowns in office here arnt really much better than there...

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3687008 - 01/27/05 12:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Canada 1
USA 0

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: Phluck]
    #3687049 - 01/27/05 01:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

More like ...

Canada 1
USA  -1

Heheheh.  :lol:

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: Phluck]
    #3688364 - 01/27/05 12:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Canada 1
USA 0

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: DF2K]
    #3688729 - 01/27/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if canada wasnt so cold id move there,so i think ill go to florida

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: Cosm]
    #3688981 - 01/27/05 02:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Florida sucks move to Canada. Once I finish school I may try to find a way up there.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3689803 - 01/27/05 05:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That's exactly how we "won" the space race.

We declared it officially over the second we got ahead.

TAAA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: funkymonk]
    #3689938 - 01/27/05 05:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

funkymonk said:
Give me a break. This thread isn't worth my reply.

(this is a pseudo-reply)

agreed

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: The Blackberry battle: Canada Officially Endorses Stealing US Patents [Re: blink]
    #3690342 - 01/27/05 07:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry, I figured the people in the "science and technology forum" would understand a thing or two about intellectual property.  Ill come back when i want to learn how to crash windoze??!!!!11 or when i need help pressing play on my VCR.  :tongue:

help i n33d t0rr3ntzzz1!!1!1 how do i prot forword????? lol

just kidding

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates