Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskyzm0
Stranger
A drying observation *DELETED*
    #3678050 - 01/25/05 01:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by skyzm0

Reason for deletion: :

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: A drying observation [Re: skyzm0]
    #3678114 - 01/25/05 02:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I apoligize it I make you sound like an idiot...but...

Blue is what we call bruising, It's when the pysiloben gets Ox-Auh-Dized (..sp?..) And or when you hit them/scrape ect ect.

Black is what we call rotting or the begining stages of, it's also how we tell abhorts from shrooms that will mature.

They look better with desiccant chambers b/c the dry out much faster, therefore the chemicals have less time to react with o2 ect.

Does that about sum up your question?
And If I left something out could someone say so. :laugh:

-Gl

And not to sound like a dick, just making a plai8n observation, You should read into mycology a bit more, just for some x-tra knowledge.(I say this because you asked a Q about something that even the New Noobs know the answers to.)

Happy hunting/reading

-Gnostic

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
    #3678118 - 01/25/05 02:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

iMAGINE yourself lying, starving to death in the middle of a desert.ok, nevermind..i dont know where im goin with this.

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: A drying observation [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3678123 - 01/25/05 02:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

lol

Offlineskyzm0
Stranger
Re: A drying observation *DELETED* [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3678170 - 01/25/05 02:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by skyzm0

Reason for deletion: :

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3678252 - 01/25/05 02:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

has anyone noticed that when the mushrooms are left on a bookshelf or whatever to dry, the caps get really really small, blue to the point that they are almost black, and rock hard? I mean, at harvest, the caps were about the size of a big marble. Now they are almost the size of a pea.

Compare this to the shrooms i dried using a home made fan box, which retain the golden color, retain much of their original size, and are still quite hard--though not as hard as the ones that were left out.

Does anyone have an explanation? Has anyone experienced this?

-Tom

Ok, you've got to be kidding me, Here's your Q.

Does anyone have an explanation?
Has anyone experienced this?

And That above is in reference to what you said.....
"has anyone noticed that when the mushrooms are left on a bookshelf or whatever to dry, the caps get really really small, blue to the point that they are almost black, and rock hard? I mean, at harvest, the caps were about the size of a big marble. Now they are almost the size of a pea."

And I anwsered your Question and told you Why that was.

The blue is bruising, They're no longer on the sub. Techinally they begin to rot as soon as you pick them. So common sense says that they will blacken, i even said that we tell abhorts like that. The Black is the begining of it rotting.

I'm not a dick, i just don't like people being dicks and smartasses.

There's the anwser to your dumbass question, good luck in the future, Don't hurt yourself trying to research.

:doggystyle: :whocares: :murder: :ass: :blah: :penis: :penis: :shrug: :cheers: :bye:

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: A drying observation [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3678282 - 01/25/05 02:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

And this part

"Compare this to the shrooms i dried using a home made fan box, which retain the golden color, retain much of their original size, and are still quite hard--though not as hard as the ones that were left out."

Mushrooms are 92% water, If you totally dry them out and do so quickly and correctly, Then they should look like shriveled up little mushrooms. If it takes you forever to get them dry then black spot(s) appear(signs of rotting) b/c the water isnt coming out quick enough, If they're rock hard then typically that means that their dry. If yours are rock hard and are the same size then somehow you dried the outside and the inside is still somewhat wet, which explains why they are the same size.

I'm done w/ this thread, but hey, more power to ya, Good luck

-Gnostic

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: A drying observation [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3678472 - 01/25/05 03:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

IGnosticAbhorI
Couldn't have given a better answer.If you don't understand ask.

Newbies

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
Re: A drying observation [Re: KaptKid]
    #3678484 - 01/25/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

when you take a bite do you look like this :beatup:

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: A drying observation [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3679508 - 01/25/05 07:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well, it takes about two hours for the guy in my mirror to look like that after I bite into them.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: A drying observation [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3679661 - 01/25/05 08:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

A fast dehydration comes of low humidity, moving air, or both. We lower the humidity by using a desiccant, or gently raising the temperature. Under these conditions, the outside of the mushroom dries first, creating a sort of shell. The inside takes a bit longer as the water migrates outward. I split the stems to accelerate the process. Just make a little cut at the base of the stem and pull the halves apart, stopping at the cap.

Laying the mushrooms on a shelf is not ideal. As they dry, they will also decompose. That would explain the darker color. Rotten mushrooms turn blackish. I imagine that there would be less of a moisture gradient from outside to inside. The whole structure would probably shrink differently. I'm not going to try it to find out. Get a fan on those things at least.

Those were my drying words. :cool:

And I stay the hell away from mirrors while tripping. Looking into your soul is one thing. Watching your mug morph is just creepy.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: A drying observation [Re: ticktock]
    #3690348 - 01/27/05 07:47 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ticktock said:

And I stay the hell away from mirrors while tripping. Looking into your soul is one thing. Watching your mug morph is just creepy.

I dunno tt,

looking into my soul and confronting the things I suppress and repress all day is pretty damn creepy. Sometimes it's just fun to watch the ceiling stucco swell into whitecaps of mexican art.

And seeing my own face melt off, completely convinced I have done something, although completely unable to remember just exactly "what," to ensure my imminent death is a hell of a lot more entertaining that wondering "jeez, maybe I am gay"

Oh, and so I dont jack ANOTHER thread: swipe some of that salt your extravagent neighbours lavish on their sidewalks to melt the ice, as a desiccant. Or those silica crystals that new kitty litter is made of are supposed to be really good.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale