Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself.
    #3678385 - 01/25/05 04:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I figure I'll probably be able to find information about doing everything from scratch somewhere on this site or others, but I had some questions about the growkit/growbag alternative.

I heard about a site called thelittleguy.com which people here said had a good reputation. They sell the spores, and I could get a growbag from sporebank.com. I also heard about growkits that are supposed to be a "just add water" type deal. Are either of these two ways less likely to be a ripoff?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAdden
Buttermilk Love Nugget
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: StreamEnterer]
    #3678446 - 01/25/05 05:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.fungifun.org/ -> Teks -> PF Tek for simple minds

Growkits suck. Wayyyy more than you have to spend.

http://www.mycobag.com for your bags, they're great.

Ralphster's spores are excellent. http://www.ralphstersspores.com

And I suggest reading the FAQ.

--------------------

Outdoor Mushroom Cultivation
"He who seeks revenge best dig two graves.."
The Official Woodlovers Thread

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: Adden]
    #3679120 - 01/25/05 08:02 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Growkits suck. Wayyyy more than you have to spend.

i agree.

they often fail to deliver the promise and sometimes dont work at all. instructions are often crappy and u hardly lern anything about the grow process...

PF cakes are the way to go for a 1st timer cuz u can observe mycelial growth and if u follow one of the guides carefully and choose an easy strain to begin with your chances are way better then a kit...

check out my homepage for my first efforts in shrooming:
http://home.planet.nl/~vertigo69
(click fungi)

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

InvisibleRapmaster
Stranger
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #3679331 - 01/25/05 08:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Stream, I was considering a growkit for my first time (just got second flush). With a bit of cleanliness, basic biology/mycology, the will to learn, and patience, you can grow without one. I did, though I cannot tell if I contaminated in the process.

OfflineCPT_InSaNo
Just anotherfreak in thefreak kingdom

Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: Rapmaster]
    #3679888 - 01/25/05 10:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I dont think that people should bash on myco bags. For the soul reason that for some people its the BEST option. A lot of people get impatient, and thats how contams happen.

With a myco bag atleast the chance of contamination is cut down. its 15 bucks a bag i think, and when you do it right, you can get 1/2 oz dry on average. thats close to 1 dollar a gram. and for a lot of people it really is a good practice. Not to mention, you can always case the cake from the bag and get bigger yields if that is your intention.

That being said, YES it is very cheap to do it on your own, PROVIDED you have all the materials you need. However, the risk of contam is higher, but if you practice good sterility you shouldnt run into any problems. the pf tek is basically fool proof if you are careful at key stages.

--------------------
"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been. Spiral out. Keep going, going..."
Tool, Lateralus

Anything in my above post is 100% fictional.

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: CPT_InSaNo]
    #3679961 - 01/25/05 11:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Actually I think they were bashing grow kits, not myco bags. Justifiably so too, grow kits are not a good introduction into cultivation, especially if you're on a budget!

Myco bags are good depending on your situation and availability of supplies I guess, but I find $15/bag a bit pricey. That's just my budget though, no doubt they sell a top notch product which is an excellent option for alot of folks here.

Doing everything from scratch, on your own, is incredibly rewarding. Consider for a moment how $15.00 streches out at the hardware store: 12 quart jars w/ lids, 10+ LBS. Wild Bird Seed, and pick up some free Tyvek at the Post Office on your way home.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: Holydiver]
    #3680180 - 01/25/05 11:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I went with the growbags. It seems like nothing good at all was said about the growkits. As for growing from scratch, I'm living in a dusty dorm room and don't have a lot of space, so I just didn't think it'd be practical for me to do here. Not to mention I would have to clear everything out over breaks since there are room checks.

I ended up dropping $70 for a growbag and four syringes. I'm hoping that if these things work out at all like I hope it will last me a long time. If I can get a second flush off of each syringe that would give me quite a bit. I mean, I realize that if I grew this myself from my own materials it'd be cheaper, but I'm trying to think of the alternative which is buying from other people. At $20 for an eighth, or in that neighborhood, I think I'm making the right choice.

If I'm still shrooming in a couple of years after I graduate from college and have my own place, then I might look into setting up something to grow my own.

By the way, if you think my $70 was way too much and have any ideas how I can basically do the growbag thing for less, flame away.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #3680219 - 01/25/05 11:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Good choice, especially considering your dorm situation. :thumbup:

Once upon a time, this newbie dropped $200+ for the Keeper's "Mega Grow Kit" which turned out to be $20 in crap materials, bunk spores, contaminated jars, and ultimately months of green contam frustration.

You newbs have it so good these days, with the Shroomery and all these reputable vendors at your fingertips :wink:

Keep us posted!

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: Holydiver]
    #3680239 - 01/25/05 11:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, that's funny about the growkit. Sorry to hear that.

But yeah, I was very close to getting the growkit myself a couple days ago, but luckily I do have one friend who is a bit of a mushroom aficionado and steered me towards the growbags.

By the way, while I'm here ranting -

What kind of flexibility do I have with my mushrooms after I dry them? This friend said there is a furniture cleaner he uses that is non-toxic, cleans them, and encourages them to dry faster. He said after that I should store them in a fridge.

Well, chances are I will have a fair amount of extra shrooms at spring break and I would rather not leave them in my fridge over break with room checks. However, if I bring them home they will be in a car outside of a fridge for probably 7 hours. Will they spoil in that relative heat?

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
    #3680264 - 01/25/05 11:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Nevermind, it appears I misunderstood my friend. He let me know now that once they are dry they don't need to stay cold. My mistake.

OfflineCPT_InSaNo
Just anotherfreak in thefreak kingdom

#3688018 - 01/27/05 12:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

basically, keep them in a cool dark place, (cool being 75 degrees or less)

if you really want to ensure maximum potency preservation, get a jar or container big enough for all the shrooms, then place a chunk of dry ice in the empty container. place the lid back on, but DONT seal it, leave it cracked open. the dry ice will subliminate into co2, and displace any o2 in the container (which oxidizes the psilocin and psilocybin in the shrooms). when the dry ice is still subliminating, toss in your shrooms and allow the dry ice to finish its thing, seal the container and youre shrooms wont lose any potency.

Im not sure if i misunderstood you, but you bought 4 syringes? you dont really have to do that. after you inoculate the bag (2.5 cc's from one syringe) all you will ever need to add for more flushes is more h20 to rehydrate it. i know a turkey that is going to grow in myco bags (2nd attempt at growing shrooms) and would be happy to help you out. you can pm me and ill relay the message.

--------------------
"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been. Spiral out. Keep going, going..."
Tool, Lateralus

Anything in my above post is 100% fictional.

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineStreamEnterer
Stranger
Re: Questions about my options for growing shrooms myself. [Re: CPT_InSaNo]
    #3708637 - 01/31/05 06:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Would growing shrooms in a growbag make my dorm room smell?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience