Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Iraqi forces 'committing abuse'
    #3677299 - 01/25/05 12:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Iraqi security forces systematically abuse prisoners, a leading US-based human rights group reports.

Unlawful arrests, torture and the long-term isolated detention of detainees - including children - are "routine", Human Rights Watch says.

Of 90 prisoners interviewed by the group since 2003, 72 said they had been abused by the new Iraqi authorities.

HRW acknowledged Iraqi security forces were targeted by insurgents but said this did not justify prisoner abuse.

Executive director for HRW Sarah Leah Whitson said Iraqi forces and international advisers were allowing abuses to "go unchecked" in the name of bringing stability to Iraq.

She said: "The people of Iraq were promised something better than this after the government of Saddam Hussein fell.

"The Iraqi interim government is not keeping its promises to honour and respect basic human rights.

"Sadly, the Iraqi people continue to suffer from a government that acts with impunity in its treatment of detainees."

'Bribes'

Among the alleged abuses detailed in the 94-page report:

* Detainees were routinely beaten with cables and metal rods during interrogation, given electric shocks and kept blindfolded and handcuffed for days

* Detainees were held for long periods in isolation, deprived of food and water and crammed into small cells with standing room only

* Iraqi police sought bribes in return for releasing prisoners or allowing them access to family members or food and water.

Some prisoners suffered what may be permanent disability as a result of their treatment, the New York-based group says.

The report - The New Iraq? Torture and ill-treatment of detainees in Iraqi custody - found evidence of widespread human rights violations against alleged national security suspects and common criminals since 2003.

It also highlights "serious violations" by the Iraqi intelligence service since mid-2004 against members of political parties judged to be a threat.

Between July and October 2004, HRW's investigations revealed systematic use of arbitrary arrest, torture of detainees, improper treatment of child prisoners and denial of access to lawyers.

Under pressure

"The Iraqi security forces obviously face tremendous challenges, including an insurgency that has targeted civilians," Ms Whitson said.

"We unequivocally condemn the insurgents' brutality. But international law is unambiguous on this point: no government can justify torture of detainees in the name of security."

The HRW report does not examine claims of mistreatment of prisoners by US or coalition forces.

US soldier Charles Graner was found guilty of abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib earlier this month, while cases are also being brought against troops from the UK and Denmark.

Link

Has anyone else noticed a pattern yet? Surely some of our more liberal members have some stories of 11 year olds being gang raped to share.  :smirk:

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Iraqi forces 'committing abuse' [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #3677323 - 01/25/05 12:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

where do you stand on this?

I see it as a failure on the part of the interim government and should be stopped. I doubt it actually CAN be stopped, but that's the nature of the mess we're in.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3677330 - 01/25/05 01:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i had worse shit done to me growing up in a public school.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
    #3677335 - 01/25/05 01:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nope, don't have any of those kinds of stories.  Here's something I can share with you though.
:blowjob:

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Iraqi forces 'committing abuse' [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3677426 - 01/25/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That about sums up the depths of your posts.  You just make up things and hope no one notices. Nice. :thumbup:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion