Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Stone, HEPA Filter, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejonas

My planned stealth grow
    #3675379 - 01/25/05 12:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey everyone, I'm going to start growing again and I'm concerned about security. I just got arrested recently and I'm just being cautious incase I ever have an emergency or something in the house and police have a reason to enter. Just covering my bases. But yeah ... on to the grow.

I have this crawlspace in my basement that has nothing in it, its just like a little dirt cellar about 15 feet by 15 feet and maybe 4 feet high, about 4 feet off the ground. Wierd, I know. So what I want to do is take some cardboard presentation boards, you know the trifolds, I'm going to take two of those, screw em together (to make sure they're sturdy and because I'm too damned cheap, well not really by choice at the moment, to affoard anything more "professional" we'll say). I'm going to do a bulk using about six cardboard boxes lined with garbage bags (bulk neglect). I'm thinking about putting wheels, much like the ones on shopping carts, on the bottom of the cardboard posterboard. I'm going to make slots for the cardboard boxes using 2 x 4s so they fit nicely and securely on the board. Just to keep it out of sight and out of mind, it'll be wheeled off to the side when not working with them. I'm going to have a rope tied to the board going to the entrance of the cellar and I'll just pull it over and slide out the boxes when work must be done. I figure I'll have the boxes covered in clear plastic, and with a garbage bag over that. When time for pinning comes, take off the bag, leave the clear plastic on, and turn on a light in there. I'll use a small space heater if needed. How does that sound to you guys? I don't think that'll hinder growth performance, how bout you?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineyoshikuni
i'm only afragment of yourimagination

Loc: New Zealand
Re: My planned stealth grow [Re: jonas]
    #3675491 - 01/25/05 01:07 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

How's the tempurature and RH down there?

Sorry to hear bout the unfortunate brush wit the law.

--------------------
Hi there!

Offlinejonas

Re: My planned stealth grow [Re: yoshikuni]
    #3675509 - 01/25/05 01:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks man, it was nothin, got the charges dropped. Class D posession, what a joke. But it got me thinkin bout security anyway. RH isn't a problem, the RH in the bulks shouldn't be affected as long as its relatively well enclosed. Just mist and fan every day or so. Like I said, if heat's a problem, I'll put a space heater in there. It's actually right near the waterheater so it should be right around mid 70's constantly.

Offlineyoshikuni

#3675520 - 01/25/05 01:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Oh may bad.. kinda tired and speed read :smile:

I think the only thing u should worry about is how clean that space is.

--------------------
Hi there!

Offlinejonas

#3675527 - 01/25/05 01:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It's actually kinda dirty, but I'll just lysol like a motherfucker before fanning. The area I'll be pulling them out into isn't that bad. It's just the crawlspace has a dirt floor.

Offlineyoshikuni

#3675548 - 01/25/05 01:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

ohh.. i would suggest drenching that dirt with lysol or something.. make sure u let all that chemical dry out before starting there tho.. unless u want mutants :smile:

--------------------
Hi there!

Offlinejonas

#3675562 - 01/25/05 01:21 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I think I'll do that, I'll probably lay a tarp down in there and lysol just to be safe. Maybe not sterile but at least manageable

Offlineyoshikuni

#3675572 - 01/25/05 01:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

good thinking! jus stock up on lysol :lol:

GL!!  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Hi there!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3675890 - 01/25/05 03:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Lysol is NOT a solution its a bandaid that will cause mutants..possibly death to flushes and myceliium in huge amounts like that and with mutants often comes sterility so prints become difficult.

A HEPA would be a much better option.

This whole thing could work..if you do it right..or could fail if you dont. I certainly would expect optimal results (as with any neglect tek)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinejonas

Re: My planned stealth grow [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3675952 - 01/25/05 03:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Meh, lysol would be better than nothing. I could just make up a solution of rubbing alcohol and water, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure I've heard thats a lot safer. Either way, I'm not just gonna fan untreated air into my bulks.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3675974 - 01/25/05 03:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Lysol does not "treat" the air..it TAINTS it. Alcohol would not be any better..whatever though.

Im sure you obviously know what you are doing and dont need my advice

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinejonas

#3676049 - 01/25/05 04:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Lysol does not "treat" the air..it TAINTS it. Alcohol would not be any better..whatever though.

Im sure you obviously know what you are doing and dont need my advice

DUDE, I get it. You know your shit. JUST because lysol may not be the BEST, its better than contams, am I wrong? And yes, a HEPA would be ideal, it's not economical at the moment. And also true, alcohol would be better than lysol. But it'll work in a pinch.

I'm not a seasoned grower nor do I claim to be. I've spent a good amount of time here learning, but haven't had much hands on experience yet. I'm not expecting to get it perfect, my technique will be refined with trial and error. And I do appreciate you giving me a more experienced outlook on this the lysol issue. However, there are plenty of people on here who use it with success. Not saying its ideal by any means, but I started this thread with the intent of indentifying any flaws that would seriously hinder the results of my grow. From what I've read about lysol, overexposure will lead to mutants, but in moderation its fine. I probably won't even use it, I'll most likely go with alcohol/water solution so I don't see what the whole fucking high and mighty act with you is.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3676139 - 01/25/05 05:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No alcohol and lysol would not be better then nothing. Did you not get that out of my first post? Perhaps I didnt explain that those were my thoughts clearly enough? No where did I say alcohol would be better NOR did I get a high and mighty attitude.

You seem to be the one with the attitude here. You seem to be crossing these two threads up like I knew that you were even the same person as the other thread you had a problem with me in because I called your advice silly...apparently thats coming across "like a dick". You've got some serious issues and are incredibly defensive.

Moderation of lysol and alcohol in a spray bottle can be used for sure...but NOT to sterilize the air of your fruiting chamber...you did not talk of spraying a little lysol around but drenching the place with it every time you fan. If you spray it whenever you fan you are not using it in moderation any more, you have now begun OVEREXPOSURE. Alcohol spray shouldnt be used to disinfect the air either, it can be used on chamber surfaces and casing containers and spoons and such if used carefully.

Hydrogen peroxide in the water when you mist and fan would be the best thing to do next to a HEPA filter...next to that...clean well and lysol everything down and clean ONCE and then every so often..but not every time you fan.

By the way if you feel I come off as a dick because I capitalize words (by the way, PERLITE wasnt a spelling correction...I didnt notice you incorrectly spelled it, I often misspell, especially when typing) then you are assuming. I capitalize IMPORTANT words so that people notice. See just like you thought I said to use alcohol spray somewhere...I said:

"Lysol does not "treat" the air..it TAINTS it. Alcohol would not be any better..whatever though."

I should have used capitals there too and said "would NOT be any better"...capitals are needed for people to pay attention I guess.

Well have fun with all your feelings on me thinking I'm all high and mighty. Its very presumptuous of you.

--------------------

Offlinejonas

#3676147 - 01/25/05 05:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Dude, the high and mighty thing ... that was in response to the whole picture/sarcastic remarks thing u did ... and you incorrectly assume I'd use lysol in my fruiting chamber. Anything like that would be used in the room I'm working in. Spray it, wait a couple minutes for it to settle down, and begin work. So don't give me any of this "assuming" bullshit. You're just as guilty. And I want you to explain to me how lysol or alcohol would hurt things if it settled down before I started working, making sure none got inside the terrarium.

And I missed the "not" part of your advice about alcohol. My b. Again man, I'm not saying you don't know your shit, but you're being such a god damned smartass. And I'm gonna beat you to it, I'm ASSUMING here, but you think that you're somethin else. And its not that I really took offense to what you said in the original post, it's just the attitude you had, or I perceived you to have, pissed me off. Just another pompus asshole. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

We disagree on certain things, lets leave it at that. I don't make it a habit to start problems, especially over trivial bullshit on a website.

by the way ... those shrooms look delicious  :grin:

Edited by jonas (01/25/05 05:41 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3676174 - 01/25/05 06:16 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"Dude, the high and mighty thing ... that was in response to the whole picture/sarcastic remarks thing u did ... and you incorrectly assume I'd use lysol in my fruiting chamber. Anything like that would be used in the room I'm working in. Spray it, wait a couple minutes for it to settle down, and begin work. So don't give me any of this "assuming" bullshit. You're just as guilty."

You are correct. I did assume. When you said: "It's actually kinda dirty, but I'll just lysol like a motherfucker before fanning" to me that means your going to spray lysol all around like a motherfucker right before fanning. I assumed you meant right before fanning when you say "before fanning" Assumed there yes...

"And I want you to explain to me how lysol or alcohol would hurt things if it settled down before I started working, making sure none got inside the terrarium. "

Alcohol simply wouldnt work to sterilize the air very well. It wouldnt cling to mold spores that cling in the air the way lysol or oust does. It works for sterilizing surfaces..the spray bottle is only for easy application. If you let things setting down before you started fanning that would be different. Perhaps next time you should include "letting things settle" between "spraying lysol like a mother fucker" and "before fanning" and others wont make the same assumption as me?

"And I missed the "not" part of your advice about alcohol. My b."

It happens..I understand..especially when I type I ramble..long paragraphs and sentences..lost trains of thought...thats why I put things in CAPITAL letters. Not to make me sound high and mighty.

"Again man, I'm not saying you don't know your shit, but you're being such a god damned smartass. And I'm gonna beat you to it, I'm ASSUMING here, but you think that you're somethin else. And its not that I really took offense to what you said in the original post, it's just the attitude you had, or I perceived you to have, pissed me off. Just another pompus asshole. That's all I'm going to say on the matter."

You can't hold feelings from thread to thread..I dont pay attention to names mostly...just information within posts. I dont care who posts what..I read things and then I post my thoughts..end of story...if you feel that you dont like my thoughts and that they disagreed with you, or they disagreed with you in a smartassed manner..well then maybe you wont post advice next time when you dont know just in case I miss the post and no one else catches it and some cultivator goes and uses pisspoor info that he got and cant figure out why his substrates drying out and his yeilds are poor and he keeps getting contams from water sitting at the bottom of a layer of perlite under his pile of shit. I'm good at this hobby...in THIS thread you acted like you knew what you were doing and I advised against using lysol "like a motherfucker before fanning" and you didnt head my advice..maybe it was because you were pissed at a comment in the other thread but when you ask for advice and then dont listen...I get sarcastic and I will show off...because I have something to show off. You can think that means whatever you want but the point is, you should listen to my advice...I've had my share of mutations and I've grown my share of mushrooms...

"We disagree on certain things, lets leave it at that. I don't make it a habit to start problems, especially over trivial bullshit on a website."

Apparently we do. I don't see how you can come to some of the conclusions you do from any sort of logical perspective. But hey thats just pompus asshole me...

--------------------

Edited by scatmanrav (01/25/05 08:59 AM)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3676335 - 01/25/05 08:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you don't have funds to purchase 6 mill plastic and a $30.00 hepa then how exactly are you going to manage this bulk grow?

Basements maintain a steady 55F-60F in the summer. There is sure to be more than enough mold growing on your wood floor cieling to cause alarm, DON'T FAN.

I suggest that you purchase the 6 mill plastic, cover the entire dirt floor and cieling rafters with it. Throw two metal pipes on that new floor so that you can slide your goods in and out without ruining the plastic on the floor. Grow inside the bags, Neglect style. Keep all your goods in the center of this area. Put a hepa so it blows directly across the goods, blowing the contamination to the out-side wall areas.

If you must choose an alternative to fanning, use a fish-tank air-pump that blows air into an air stone that rests inside the bottom of a 3 liter bottle of soda. Poke/drill/melt two tight holes to push hoses through. The bottle of soda should be filled 1/4 with water, then 3/4 full of perlite. One tube goes in the cap for the stone, one comes out for fresh humid filtered air. An inline gas filter is acceptable for the filtered air entering the stone. The air going out should be split several times, use hose "T's" or several multivalve connections. (Multivalve connections have one in, and usually four out, which have valves to turn each one off.)

Run one line to each bag, and seal the bag only tight anough around the hose, so that some air can escape.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: My planned stealth grow [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3676338 - 01/25/05 08:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Otherwise, just listen to scat. (You can't afford to go cheap and loos it all, can you?)

I once asked Donald Trump, "Don, how do I become a billionaire?", he replied...

"First, get a job, then come ask me what the second step is!"

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/25/05 08:22 AM)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: My planned stealth grow [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3676372 - 01/25/05 08:39 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, that was defiently a FF moment...kind of.

Scat you're auh dick :wink:
Lol

And you are quite defense, but that's not what this thread is about.

I personally use lysol, but a bleach/water solution is way better. And then use vinager(sp?) to..____, i forget the word but it does something and the smell leaves rather quickly, you'd be surprized. I can't believe that this wasn't brought up yet. CARDBOARD leads to contams. I don't remeber what you thought that you'd be using it for, but it's like a sponge and sucks up humidity and it's even used as a sub., so if you were going to use those for walls...don't...Unless you plan to put some type of plastic over them and seal it well...and spray it with lysol first, just in case(the inside between the plastic and cardboard) :wink:

That's my .o2, good luck tho...

-Gnostic

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My planned stealth grow [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3676387 - 01/25/05 08:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

:penis: :wexican:

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3676398 - 01/25/05 08:52 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Did I mention a nice and funny guy

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Air Stone, HEPA Filter, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation