Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
pmp questions
    #3675353 - 01/25/05 12:48 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

my buddy just built his first pmp...

31 gallon sterilite blue opaque tub

18" fluro inlaid into the top with saran wrap used to protect the fixture from moisture

two 18"x3.5" windows built into top using clear packing tape, taped on both sides so no sticky part is exposed and windows are airtight

two 2800cc/min air pumps, two tubes each, each tube runs to 10" bubble stick (4 sticks total) - calced so that if both pumps run at their full 2800cc/min should get 2.5 air exchanges per hour for 31 gallon...but between perlite, light fixture and soon the cakes & casing the volume is cut down to produce a little more exchange...

2" of moist perlite

thermometer/hydrometer to be purchased shortly

so heres the questions:

1) a wally world digital therm/hydrometer should suffice, correct? i've seen others using them but curious if there is something that may be better at comparble cost (about $15 US)

2) what size ventilation holes should he make?

3) where is best location for ventilation holes? i've seen both to place them on top or near top, and also other said place them just above perlite... any educated opinions on that?

4) how should unit be cleaned up before use? is lysol safe if allowed to evaporate? or will it leave residue? if lysol is okay is it important that it doesn't touch perlite? is there a limit to how much h202 can be added to perlite? if a very liberal amout is added and given a few days before cakes are placed in the h202 should bubble off and not cause problems, correct?

5) some backflow prevent valves came with the airpumps...anybody ever bothered to use these?

thanks a bunch!!

EDIT - whoa! idea!! use the backflow prevents to make the vents..that way air can only go out and not in!!! it may work...i think i'll tell him to try it! you could hook some extra hose to the devise and run that hose into some water to check and see if it actually venting...

Edited by ChrisHippyLoser (01/25/05 01:11 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pmp questions [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3675775 - 01/25/05 02:14 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

1. Radio shak has some good ones

2. i like to use 1 inch holes with a rubber cover that slides over them making the holes bigger or smaller for humidity control.

3. Put them in the lid.

4. I use to just wash it out. Perlite sucks in the pump go with the lava rock or geolite.

5. not that I know of but it couldn't hurt.

Here is the post by the guy who came up with the thing. PMP

All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation