Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Mycelium Syringe+Straw Mycobag
    #3675110 - 01/25/05 12:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This is what I plan to do...really soon.
I bought a large straw mycobag.  It just came today.  I live in NJ and it's frozen right now (it's freezing out..madd snow too!) so I'm going to wait for tomorrow then I plan on injecting 3cc spore solution in it and see if anything happens, i tried this b4 and nothing happened but I was able to use the bag as a bulk w/ some cakes I had.

I doubt the spores would germinate but...I dunno' whatever. SO...when the spores don't germinate, I would then like to try a liquid culture.  I read the teks and it seams like the thing to do.

Can I make the jar like it's described (also a *Pic*) in the  "Poor Man's Mycelium Syringe Tek" w/ black electrical tape, sterilize it in the microwave, then inject spores into the solution (the tek uses a colonized jar.  I have some colonizing jars of Super Strain and Brazilian, but I'd rather use spore solution 'cause I have so much)

"Jar lid: Poke a single hole through the lid of the jar. This will be how you suck the Karo into the syringe.

Using your Table spoon, put one spoon full of Karo in to the empty jar. Now fill the jar up with the distilled water. Put your lid on the jar and tighten it down. Now tape the holes over using the electric tape. Taking the pin carefully poke a hole through tape. This is so after you sterilize the jar a vacuum will not remain.
Now place a coffee filter over the jars lid and hold it with a rubber band.

Karo sterilization:

Note: Clean the microwave out. Clean it as well as possible with bleach.

Place the jar into your microwave. Set the heat setting on high. Cook it for 1 minute. Wait 5 minutes and cook for another minute. CAUTION THE JAR WILL BE HOT! Leave it in the Microwave over night. This will keep it clean as it cools."

So I'd like to know:
-if Black electrical tape is cool
-how does liquid culture do on straw
-HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS
-and if I could do w/o a filter patch on top of the jar.  This seams to be optional in all the teks, I don't have any and I'd rather not order them if I don't need anything else.

ALSO(!) I was thinking after I inject the spores (through the black elec. tape) I could put another coffee filter on top w/ a rubberband...how's that sound?  Anyone think I should seal off the holes after injection? remember I won't have a filter patch in this case.

And these are the strains I have the spores for, Any of them do particularly well on straw?

Brazilian, Palenque, Golden Teacher, KS Super Strain, and KS Ban Nathan. WOOOOHOOOO!

Think any of these might actually germinate on straw w/o the liquid culture? (nah....I know) :shake:

Any other simple tips for liquid culture would be cool.  I read one that suggests to inject 2cc 3% peroxide into the jar after it's colonized. Sound good?

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium Syringe+Straw Mycobag [Re: Elfmachine]
    #3675862 - 01/25/05 02:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Bandaid would work better then electrical tape..comes sterile and easy to apply and easy to deal with injections and such. You should have a release for gases but you can just loosen the lid a little. Little more risk for contams if not done properly though. I havn't tried the liquid syringe tek you mentioned but sounds fine...all would do well on straw but I'd put the GT's on there because I got some nice GT flushes off straw.

The peroxide injection wont do much..it will break down quickly. You'd need to inject like 2 ccs of peroxide every time you remove some culture...I guess if you use the whole culture at once then it would be enough. Well anyways..theres tons of info on liquid cultures out there..read more in the FAQ's to learn more..I wont explain it all...but I will leave you with some GT's on straw:

And some STRAW in a jar...PCed...then inoculated with LIQUID MYCELIUM (as you found out, spores dont germinate to well on straw) 2 ccs each:

Those fully colonized and were cased and fruited..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineElfmachine
Stranger
Re: Mycelium Syringe+Straw Mycobag [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3681306 - 01/26/05 02:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey nice pics! Yeah I never actually had GT b4 but this should be awesome. Once I get this down I'd prolly do lots of straw.

--------------------
check out www.island.org Started by Bruce Eisner, it's an organization trying to make Island by Aldous Huxley a reality.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation