Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetps
ganja ghanstah
 User Gallery

marijuana lighting
    #3664605 - 01/22/05 09:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hey all,
my buddy was trying to figure out what lights to go for just one plant, but afer reading all articles its making us crazy with too much info...
can anyone give a suggestion of what to get at say home depot or a hardware store...
my buddy is just trying one plant in like a 4ftx4ft space

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: tps]
    #3664619 - 01/22/05 09:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

One light?

Get a metal halide.
Then go online and buy one of the crossover bulbs.
You'll be looking for about 400 watts.
Lumens per square foot should be at LEAST 1000.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3665087 - 01/22/05 10:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

In my opinion, if you can only afford one light, then buy an HPS lamp and not a metal halide, as flowering it's best for flowering and flowering makes most of the difference.

If you can afford both or have some extra cash then get a metal halide and/or metal halide with conversion kit.

But if you can only buy one light, then get the HPS.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: neuro]
    #3665106 - 01/22/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah and try and get a Son-T Agro bulb for it, it will make your vegetation period more productive.

Also HPS lamps needs cooling and/or airflow to work properly :wink:

Edited by faslimy (01/22/05 10:43 PM)

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: faslimy]
    #3665338 - 01/22/05 11:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Or if your a cheap ass like me you could always go with some fluro's. Just go to home de pot and get some of those cheap shop lightslike 7 bucks i think get 2 for your space. Then Put some warm spectrum lights in em.

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #3665456 - 01/22/05 11:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you can get small hps security lamps at h.om.e d.epo.t. I've seen up to 150w there. for one nice girl  it would be perfect. it will be better than fluros cost-wise and quality-wise. you do have to convert them to remote balast (not hard). also they will get hot. you can't keep them in a closed closet. best bet would be to build a small box and rig some computer fans, they're pretty quiet so you can do it stealth if you chose. a small growing box would free up most of that space in your closet and you can hide it a lot easier. plus having more space for soil,  ferts, watter bottles or even clothes/random shit.

the security light might not be as good as a horticulture specfic light but it will be better than anything else at a hardware store. :stoned:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: John]
    #3666280 - 01/23/05 02:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the150w hps from home depot costs more than the parts to build a 400w online.
rule of thumb for growing, 50w of hps light per sq ft. if you want hardly any bud and want it not dense then go with compact floros. they are really only acceptable as additional spectrum coverage for an hps and for mother/clone chambers where weak light is needed. in other words GO WITH HPS.

a 4x4 space would be 800w of light which might be a bit excessive for a first grow. i would say go with 1x 400w hps to start using 8 sq ft which works out to 2-4 nicely SCROG'd plants which would be max effciency of bud production for minimal # of plants. yeilds should be between 0.5 and 1.5 grams per watt of light. so looking at ~200g of bud on yer first grow and appraoching 400g+ as you improve.

cooling is also somehting to consider. temps should be kept well under 90` F and you'll need an exaust system and likely with a carbon scrubber. its not that cheap to start growing but it pays for itself after one cycle.

so dont waste 3-4 months using some compact floro setup. theres no point in being in 'legal risk' for that long to produce 14 grams of shit. if yer gonna do it, do it right. that also means ordering quality genetics for seeds www.seedsdirect.to i recommend.

for lights: www.insidesun.com and www.mdhydro.com or for light system parts from a non grow oriented site, www.1000bulbs.com

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Edited by Eightball (01/23/05 02:13 AM)

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: marijuana lighting *DELETED* [Re: John]
    #3666688 - 01/23/05 03:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by wandrnshaman

Reason for deletion: .

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: marijuana lighting [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #3666737 - 01/23/05 04:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Go with the HPS home security light like they said if on the other hand you are a cheap bastard like me, and/or are growing in a small space, get compact flourescents.

its something like 7 or 8 bucks for a 42w at either Wall-Mart or Home Depot. I think Wally World actually has a 45w model. if you are going with one plant two should be enough. make a reflector out of a soda can, or make a cone out of a dorito bag(the shiny inside is mylar and is highly reflective) and you are good to go. In case you didnt know Compact Flourescents are teh spirally screw in bulbs. Just take apart a cheap lamp and you have a cord. Go to www.overgrow.com forums to see some good lookign buds that have been grown with CF's. Hope i helped Peace

Blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

#3667130 - 01/23/05 09:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Get a 250w HPS. If it blows, it won't start a fire. Any old house can handle 250w running through the circuits with as little risk of fire as any other appliance. Work your way up with experience.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3667509 - 01/23/05 11:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You could get one that converts from MH to HPS. HPS is great for flowering, but when it comes to vegetative growth, nothing beats having a MH.

www.altgarden.com

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinetps
ganja ghanstah
 User Gallery

Re: marijuana lighting [Re: theocean06]
    #3671213 - 01/24/05 03:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Wow! THanks guys! I didnt expect to get this many replies, i've learned more than reading this stuff then all those guides... I'll be sure to show it to my buddy and i'll be sure to let ya all know how it goes :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#3674649 - 01/24/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

AltGarden is where I "roll" :cool:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck