Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Magic Mushroom Guide For VA * 1
    #3662241 - 01/22/05 09:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm kind of curious as to the lack of information on wild magic mushrooms in Virginia. I've put together a list of three species: psilocybe caerulipes, Panaeolus Subbalteatus, and gymnopilus aeruginosus; I plan on looking for these species in the spring time.

Ill be putting together a field guide for myself to use, as I am unfamiliar with any magic mushroom other than p. cubensis, which i have only seen fresh versions of the gold teacher variety.

On my various adventures walking through forest i have seen many mushrooms, and in fact I think I could have actually found some p. subbalteatus or Panaeolina Foenisecii last year in my own lawn, but was unable to properly identify them.

Any other VA shroomers who have found magic mushrooms growing wild, post and let me know what kind of habitat you found them on or what species was found. It seems to me highly unlikely that magic mushies border my state all around, but don't grow here.

Mainly what i want to know about these three mushrooms, is if there are any deadly lookalikes for the three mentioned. Also i was wondering about the safety of eating gymnopilos species, as I've come across conflicting data. There is so much information in the shroom world, I'm overwhelmed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Magic Mushroom Guide For VA [Re: miiddiesman024] * 1
    #3662462 - 01/22/05 11:24 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"Gymnopilus penetrans is one of several easily confused Gymnopilus species. No member of this genus is recommended for the table and experimentation with them could lead to an unexpected poisoning."
http://www.evergreen.edu/mushrooms/phm/s29.htm

be careful with the gyms. aeruginosus seems somewhat rare, though I have been shown a nice fruiting up here.  they showed definite bluing and a bioassay of them gave me no trouble, but I would make damn sure you have aeruginosus or one of the other active species before you eat anything from the genus...

sounds like you have done a bit of reading and research on it, so you'll probably be fine.  I just thought I'd mention that.  good luck :smile:

DH

Offlinejpotter420
Stranger
    #3669657 - 01/23/05 08:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hey, i live in virginia too. northern VA to be precise. but i have heard of this one particular type of mushrooms that grow under pine trees in VA. forgot what the species was. yea there arent much mushrooms growin round here in VA. once spring time comes around, im gonna go mushroom picking. where in VA did u find p. cubensis? what forests in virginia did u find mushrooms at ? i have never ever gone mushroom hunting but i am def going too. help me out cause im not even a rookie yet.

OfflinexIcy
/<Nabbifyed>\
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushroom Guide For VA [Re: jpotter420] * 1
    #3669707 - 01/23/05 08:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jpotter420 said:
hey, i live in virginia too. northern VA to be precise. but i have heard of this one particular type of mushrooms that grow under pine trees in VA. forgot what the species was. yea there arent much mushrooms growin round here in VA. once spring time comes around, im gonna go mushroom picking. where in VA did u find p. cubensis? what forests in virginia did u find mushrooms at ? i have never ever gone mushroom hunting but i am def going too. help me out cause im not even a rookie yet.

Amanita muscaria grows under pines.

Edited by xIcy (01/24/05 04:45 PM)

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Re: Magic Mushroom Guide For VA [Re: xIcy] * 2
    #3673030 - 01/24/05 03:33 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I wish i found the Cubes growing wild haha.

Nope, they were grown using rice cakes by my gifted cousin. Man those suns of bitches were almost solid blue, and so bright, it was trippy.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in eating any amanita species, but I would be rather delighted to encounter one.

Im going to be looking in city parks, or wildlife reserves, and also around horse stables. Last year while wondering around in the woods, just enjoying a good toke with a good friend, we encountered numerous species growing on woodchips on trails made through the woods in the park. I am also a rookie though, never have actually went shroom hunting with the intention of eating anything, so I'm going to be practicing with a lot of caution.

While driving through the country trippin balls on mushies my cousin ran into this young kid late as shit at night who said he ate mushrooms out of the field and they fucked him up. He was like 11, lol, which is totally nuts. My cousin and his buddy went searching, and found nothing active, but my cousins dumbass friend ate a giant mushroom.. Luckily nothing happened to him.

I was actually out that way this past weekend, but it was friggin cold as heck so we werent really up for walking around in the fields, not that anything would be growing, just to look around. And I was completely abliterated by 3 critical ass hits of acid, which were stronger than the Adam and Eve acid i had last weekend. Anyone seen the adam and eve, the sheets look so badass. LOL. Anyway I'm done.

Offlinejpotter420
Stranger
    #3673289 - 01/24/05 04:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

tight. i am a rookie when it comes to mushrooms. ive only done em twice. what do u mean they were grown by using rice cakes, like u jus put spores on a rice cake and they grew ? btw, just out of curiosity what part in va do u live in ? city ?

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
    #3673403 - 01/24/05 05:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

LOL. Nope not on a actual rice cake.

Check out the pftek, or any of the other easy mushroom grow guides found on this website. Its a method of growig magic mushies indoors.

Also, deffinately no need for you to know that kind of info bro, sorry. But im in souther VA.

Offlinecrzywoodpusher
Stranger
Loc: northern, virginia.
    #3674293 - 01/24/05 08:16 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

im from nothern va as well im trying to get into hunting but i havent started yet cause were not in season. it doesnt seem like shrooms are realy growing here in abundance. im most definately a rookie as well, if my hunting doesnt go well this spring i might just start growing

OfflineTheDudeAbides
Livin Off FrostyBarley Pops andPork Soda
 User Gallery

Re: Magic Mushroom Guide For VA [Re: crzywoodpusher] * 1
    #3674604 - 01/24/05 09:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks much for starting this thread Miidie. I noticed the same thing..

--------------------
outputrotation said:
x-com and unsolved mysteries are the only things that have ever made me truly scared

Offlinejpotter420
Stranger
Re: Magic Mushroom Guide For VA [Re: TheDudeAbides] * 1
    #3678699 - 01/25/05 04:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The_Dude_420 said:
thanks much for starting this thread Miidie. I noticed the same thing..

noticed what ?

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
    #3679917 - 01/25/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

probably the lack of growing information in VA. I think possibly that mushrooms don't grow in a huge abundance here, but I know they are here.

When I was young man, still in highschool, I knew a girl a few years older who said her boyfriend knew what to look for and they could find mushrooms and trip balls nice and everything. He was supposidly pretty good with identifying mushrooms, which is kind of neccesary.

OfflineMontyRev
Stranger
Roll CALL:im in richmond [Re: miiddiesman024] * 1
    #3703294 - 01/30/05 05:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

whats up virginia:-)
i went shrooming last summer...only to find a bunch of stuff that didnt even come close to looking like something edible....i read somewhere about putting a piece of the shroom in a chemical and it would turn it blue....but wont all psyco mushrooms bruise blue?
anyway...any news on what kinda shrooms grow in VA yet?

OfflinexIcy
/<Nabbifyed>\
 User Gallery

Re: Roll CALL:im in richmond [Re: MontyRev] * 1
    #3703432 - 01/30/05 06:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MontyRev said:
any news on what kinda shrooms grow in VA yet?

Look at the first post?
Quote:

psilocybe caerulipes, Panaeolus Subbalteatus, and gymnopilus aeruginosus

OfflineMontyRev
Stranger
where? [Re: xIcy] * 1
    #3703746 - 01/30/05 06:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

where are they at...i have never seen them before

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: where? [Re: MontyRev] * 1
    #3704284 - 01/30/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Try using the "search posts" function. There you will find the info you are seeking.

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Re: where? [Re: shroomydan] * 1
    #3893562 - 03/09/05 04:28 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Well old Virginny looks like she might be ready to ease up on the winter for the year. Although i say that and it snowed yesterday ;p , but today it was in the 60's, which is friggin weird if you ask me lol.

I can't wait to get out and start hunting. I want to find some regular edibles, maybe some rare edibles in this area, Although i have done minimal research on the topic.

I'll also be starting big ole' beds with poo and straw from rye spawn jars, and also will be trying to possibly do an outdoor azurescens bed, or maybe a pan. cyanescens bed, or possibly subbalteatus bed. Something different, that will thrive in this Mediterranean climate.

Later in the fall time i will be experimental with liberty caps. I will re update this thread in the springtime when I gather a list of edibles, and obtain a nice field guide and get out hunting. GOOD LUCK to all you VA shroomers, its such a beautiful state, i love to just be outside. I love VA lol , a lot.

Also this is to all outdoor shroom growers: Have you had luck when starting outdoors beds of returning the following season and finding mushrooms close by??? I ask because if i start a wood loving species, or a debris loving species, or even cubies by a horse field, with an extremely mild winter (our winters are nothing compared to up north of here) wouldn't all those spores dropped and the mycelium possibly remaining dormant over the course of the winter make this somewhat possible?? Or, do mushrooms need to have A LOT of choices, to say that in their natural habitat not every clump of shit is going to be colonized. I kind of lost my track of thought I'm going to edit this or add some later if i catch back up. Anyway keep this post going VA SHROOMERS< I KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE. I am.

OfflineMontyRev
Stranger
Re: where? [Re: miiddiesman024] * 1
    #3899942 - 03/10/05 08:33 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

your gonna grow the liberty caps?
or hunt for them?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: where? [Re: MontyRev] * 1
    #3900378 - 03/10/05 10:11 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

There are no liberty caps in Virginia.

mj

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
Re: where? [Re: mjshroomer] * 1
    #3901541 - 03/11/05 08:36 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

I am from Va and I have been looking for a long time. I found some once in some old straw I used to bed down some goats. Icouldn't identify them but i really think they came from spores the goats spread after they got into my neighbors outdoor beds. I had happy goats but my neighbor was pissed for awhile.

--------------------
Live each day like it will be your last, tomorrow my never come.
SporeSmart

Offlinemiiddiesman024
Stranger
Re: where? [Re: UncleMike] * 1
    #3901695 - 03/11/05 09:13 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

I think that possibly magic mushrooms are not widespread at all throughout VA. It seems to be this way. I see a lot of panaeolus species , so im going to try and identify them this spring and summer. But i have a feeling they are just lbms.

Im going to aprehend a bunch of different spore prints. I would be growing the liberty caps, if i feel i had obtained enough experience at that point.

Edited by miiddiesman024 (03/11/05 09:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom