Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar.
    #3673684 - 01/24/05 06:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I know that mushrooms aren't too picky about light, that only a few hours per day are required, as long as the the light is strong in the blueish range... etc... Though i'm still curious about whether there can be too much, ie: does 24hr light negatively impact growth/pinning in any way. I'm guessing not, but as my only previous grows have been of medicinal herbs :wink:, I'm used to quite regimented light parameters... so i need someone to reassure me. please?

And secondly... How long is a PF-style jar viable for inoculation after sterilizing? ie: Can i sterilize, put the jar in my incubator for a week, and then knock it up?

Thanks a lot

Boffsun

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: Boffsun]
    #3673702 - 01/24/05 06:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Boffsun said:
And secondly... How long is a PF-style jar viable for inoculation after sterilizing? ie: Can i sterilize, put the jar in my incubator for a week, and then knock it up?

Yes..that is actually recommended...So you can check that no contams are growing! :smile:

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: Taskenti]
    #3673793 - 01/24/05 06:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That what the big cats like agar do :thumbup:!!!!

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3673824 - 01/24/05 06:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Being a noob and all, I didn't sterilize one of my jars just to see what would happen. It's been a week, and when I open it, it smells like a brewery in there or something. Really really strong alcohol is what it smells like. Plus, there is white crap taking over, pretty neat stuff to watch. Wish my myc would grow that damn quick... Also wondering just how sane I am to be sniffing that jar, considering the fact that I don't know exactly what I'm sniffing.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3673918 - 01/24/05 07:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah sniffing it is a really bad idea. there is a guy named fucknuckel or nuckfuckel that was diagnosed with some type of disease from sniffing contamed cakes. always wear a mask when disposing of dirty substrate. and for future referance dont grow extra mold in jars. by doing so you are releasing millions of mold spores into the air and that may have negative impacts on your grow, peace.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3674722 - 01/24/05 09:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I'm gonna ditch the sniffing, but I had to do it once at least. Man, I bet that makes some pretty potent liquor. I'll ditch the mold nonsterile jar eventually, but for now it's fun watching it grow. So far, it's the only damn thing I've managed to cultivate. I've got it in a separate area, damn sure not in my incubator, so it shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3674777 - 01/24/05 09:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you can smell it or have opened it to 'take a whiff' then it's a problem. Millions of mold spores have traveled through the air and landed on everything in your room. If you touch the places where the spores land then walk in another room and touch something else, voila, you've contaminated that room as well. Your entire house, especially the carpet, can become infested with these meanies. Some can cause you to become very ill. Many won't hurt you at all but will greatly hamper your every attempt at growing uncontaminated substrates. Just be careful and if it's not bright white mycellium, get rid of it as soon as possible.

--------------------

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3675163 - 01/24/05 10:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i love hypochondriacs. practice makes perfect, just dont lose your fucking mind. thinking on such a minute scale can be hazardous to your health...stress is the killer, i believe is what they say.

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3675184 - 01/24/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

oh! "nice fuckin model...HONK HONK!"

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3680549 - 01/25/05 10:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet, k well i won't worry about leaving the jars for a couple days and I won't snort the mold. But what about the light? 24hr ok or no? Basically I'm just trying to figure it out if i need to buy a timer.

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: Light cycles and the expiration date of a sterilized PF jar. [Re: Boffsun]
    #3680588 - 01/25/05 10:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Buy a timer....dont leave it on 24 hours

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags