Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephidauex
Stranger
Bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts? (glyerine, salts, etc)
    #3673781 - 01/24/05 06:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hi,

I've heard a bit about people (Stamets, et al) using oyster mushrooms to bioremediate motor oil and diesel fuel.

However, does anyone know if experiments have been done on bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts?

When biodiesel is produced, you end up with about 20% of your original volume of oil worth of 'byproduct'. This byproduct is mostly glycerine, but also contains residual methanol, residual sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, soaps and salts. The methanol can be distilled out, but the rest of this slurry is not good for much. It can be used as a degreaser, it can be turned into soap, it can be composted, etc. I'm hoping it can be fed to mushrooms!

I'll likely try it out on my next bags of oysters, but I wanted to know if anyone has already tried it, or knows anything about it, or has any theories on the outcome based on the byproduct's ingredients. The fact that it composts well leads me to believe that fungus would feed on it, but its all conjecture at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Peace,
Sam

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

Re: Bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts? (glyerine, salts, etc) [Re: phidauex]
    #3677153 - 01/25/05 10:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The only concern is, that the oyster swallows and bioaccumulate heavy metals. Note, that Stamets does not discuss how to eat oyster from remediation, just how to cultivate them.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts? (glyerine, salts, etc) [Re: wideweb]
    #3678084 - 01/25/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

to answer the original poster's question. yes, there have been some successful attempts which, IIRC, were posted in the advanced forum.

it is important to NOT EVER eat these fruits. it is my weak understanding that while the fruits are toxic, the resulting waste is far more hospitable to the environment than the "substrate" in it's orgiinal state.

I'm still waiting on my copy of "Mycelium Running" by Stamets to learn more on that particular subject. August is a ways off, tho.

Offlinephidauex
Stranger
Re: Bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts? (glyerine, salts, etc) [Re: debianlinux]
    #3678178 - 01/25/05 02:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, the heavy metals issue is key.

Biodiesel byproduct, at least from the fuel I'm making, should not contain any heavy metals, since the feedstock is waste restaraunt oil (which of course, is not toxic),the byproduct should contain just glycerol (non-toxic), trace methanol (non-toxic once metabolized), and potassium salts (also non-toxic when metabolized). Hopefully the resulting mushroom would also be non-toxic. However, even if it wasn't, the resulting mycelium would compost much easier than the byproduct itself..

I'm hoping to get a copy of his book as well.

peace,
sam

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts? (glyerine, salts, etc) [Re: phidauex]
    #3678356 - 01/25/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ah yes, i overlooked the fact that you were starting with a relatively safe substrate to begin with. i was confusing myself with the reference to the thread(s) in AMC where used motor oil was implemented. in that scenario I would warn you to "NOT EVER eat these fruits".

excuse my oversight.

Offlinephidauex
Stranger
Re: Bioremediation of biodiesel byproducts? (glyerine, salts, etc) [Re: debianlinux]
    #3678752 - 01/25/05 04:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No problem, I confuse all the oily crap lying around here too. :smile:

I've got a few straw-bags approaching fully colonized, so maybe I'll just try it out. :smile:

I'll keep you all posted, and of course, if anyone else has any input, please share!

peace,
sam

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom