Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
U.S. Only Developed Nation Still in Stone Age
    #3666177 - 01/23/05 01:42 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hemp Push Pits U.S. Against States, 30 Countries
Posted by CN Staff on January 21, 2005 at 07:58:16 PT
Editorial
Source: Vermont Guardian

Washington -- The United States is the only developed nation that does not cultivate industrial hemp as an economic crop, according to a Congressional Resource Service report.

?In all, more than 30 countries in Europe, Asia and North America grow hemp,? concluded the report, ?Hemp as an Agricultural Commodity.? In the 1990s, the European Union instituted a subsidy program for hemp fiber production. ?The United States is the only developed nation in which industrial hemp is not an established crop,? the report says.

Hemp is a distinct variety of the plant species cannabis sativa that contains only minute amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. Farmers worldwide grow hemp commercially for fiber, seed, and oil for use in a variety of industrial and consumer products, including food.

U.S. law makes no distinction between cannabis and industrial hemp, and makes it illegal to grow hemp without a license from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

According to the CRS, ?The DEA has been unwilling to grant licenses for growing small plots of hemp for research purposes,? even when the research is authorized by state law, because the agency believes that this would ?send the wrong message to the American public concerning the government?s position on drugs.?

As an example, the report noted that the DEA ?has still not ruled on an application submitted in 1999 by a North Dakota researcher? to grow a trial plot of hemp in compliance with state law.

More than a dozen states have passed laws authorizing the licensed cultivation of hemp for research purposes.

?The federal ban on hemp cultivation and production is a direct outgrowth of the government?s absurd war on cannabis,? said NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre. ?This report should help to galvanize support among U.S. farmers, industrialists, and environmentalists for the legalization and regulation of hemp as an agricultural commodity.?
http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread20146.shtml

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: U.S. Only Developed Nation Still in Stone Age [Re: Ravus]
    #3667242 - 01/23/05 10:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

unfortunately..a large majority of the population does not view the govts effort against cannabis as "absurd"...these ppl realize that we need hemp fibres..but believe that the danger of backdoor cannabis cultivation is too great...OTOH..importing hemp supplies the necessary fibres..while at the same time subjecting the population of the exporting countries to the perceived disadvantages of cannabis..which in turn becomes a perceived advantage for the US...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3667382 - 01/23/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This equates us to being in the "stone age"? Our level of technology is inferior to that of Thailand? Maybe we could beg them for a few trillion dollars for our "Early Warning Hemp PRotection Plan"
:-)

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: U.S. Only Developed Nation Still in Stone Age [Re: SoopaX]
    #3671482 - 01/24/05 06:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I was told by an ex DEA agent... That the US. backed the Canadian industrial hemp movement.
Mainly because the jet stream will carry the bunk hemp pollen down across the US. causing any good pot grown outside to get weaker with each generation.
This is working much the same way as the geneticly modifided grains growns in North and central America. Watch the news and you will hear reports about how they are finding hybrids with natural plants in central and South American grains.
It has been proven that a grain of pollen can float around world if it gets into the right wind.
Genetic degrigation is a good reason to control the hemp industry here in the states. It's hard enough to get good pot here as it is.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3671525 - 01/24/05 07:31 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Not too many countries out there that can top us in the technology department. Unfortunatly there are a lot of single issue single-minded people out there that decide since the united states (and about 90% of the world) has made drugs illegal then they are oppressive, backwoods and behind the times. I wish drugs were legal but I know it's only one issue. I guess i'm not too sold on the hemp is the best yet, (to be honest, I just don't know) i've seen the clothes that are produced from hemp and if that is any indication then hemp may not be the answer, but like I said, I don't know.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: U.S. Only Developed Nation Still in Stone Age [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3671746 - 01/24/05 10:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

hemp can be used to make ethanol and plastic, just like oil can be used for gasoline and plastic. That's a good enough reason for me. That and it's a plant that replenishes the soil with its own cuttings, so you don't need to worry about crop rotation and soil degredation. Oh, and its seeds are nutritious to the human body and hardly require any digestion. Good for saving starving people, ya know.

Now that I think of it, there are around 10,000 other reasons why hemp should be legal.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: U.S. Only Developed Nation Still in Stone Age [Re: SoopaX]
    #3671764 - 01/24/05 10:07 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Maybe we could beg them for a few trillion dollars for our "Early Warning Hemp PRotection Plan"
:-)

Seems your sense of "humour" dates from the stone age. Although that probabaly does our neolithic friends a great disservice..

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: U.S. Only Developed Nation Still in Stone Age [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3671823 - 01/24/05 10:31 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hemp can be used to make ethanol and plastic, just like oil can be used for gasoline and plastic. That's a good enough reason for me

wouldn't you want to know the efficientcy of creating such bi-products compared to what's being produced now? I would. Like I said, i'm not familiar with the use of hemp as a logical replacement.

Quote:

That and it's a plant that replenishes the soil with its own cuttings, so you don't need to worry about crop rotation and soil degredation.

This I disagree with, if you plant any crop in the same spot over an over again it will leetch the minerals from the soil, just like corn, beans and other plants.

Quote:

Oh, and its seeds are nutritious to the human body and hardly require any digestion. Good for saving starving people, ya know.

starving people from where? The US? I hate to break it to you but we aren't a third world country where famine and starvation is that big of a problem, no matter what you hear on the BBC.

Quote:

Now that I think of it, there are around 10,000 other reasons why hemp should be legal.

I never said it shouldn't be legal, I have a hard time comprehending why the government would ever outlaw something that is part of nature. My argument, or search for info, is, is hemp that beneficial to us compared to what's being done today?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals