Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher
    #366535 - 08/03/01 11:14 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Wazzup guys

So does anyone have a positive answer to the current vermiculite shortage? I had to scour four stores the other day, finally scoring the last two bags at a huge department store. I understand it's gardening season, but piles of soil are everywhere and it seems only verm is picked clean.

I take it there's some kind of shortage? 9er tek, here we go!
Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleslither
addict
Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #366542 - 08/03/01 11:29 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

It's just hard to find at the large nationwide chains. I just ordered at 4 cubic ft bag of it from the feed store for $15, you realize how much 4 cubic foot is, ALOT, don't know how I'm going to carry it. It's an asbestos scare, is why they don't carry it. I don't even make alot of cakes, what the hell am I gonna do with all that verm.

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #366555 - 08/04/01 12:12 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think its mainly a regional shortage, due to the asbestos scare, as slither mentioned. I've heard most folks in the central and eastern US have had trouble finding it lately. I've had no problems with it here. I think they still carry it at wal-mart here. I live in the rockies.

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineShroomph

#366562 - 08/04/01 12:24 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I'm in Tennessee and just bought 2 bags of it today after only 2 stores. It seems they had plenty in stock. If anyone is familiar with the hardware chain, Lowe's, that's where I found it. Good Luck

--------------------
Why, oh, why didn't I take the BLUE pill?
Join the fight against marijuana prohibition; join NORML

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: Shroomph]
    #366589 - 08/04/01 01:44 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I'm in TN too Shroomph and if that's Purssel's Sta-Green Professional Grade vermiculite throw it out. I made the mistake of buying that brand from Lowes awhile back. It has PEAT and WOODCHIP bits all through it..which makes it good for growing cobweb mold...even after sterilization. I had to bake the stuff at 300 F* for an hour before use as substrate mixture. Get it at an Ace Hardware or a True Value Hardware. Both have good brands of vermiculite available and True Value has the larger 10 quart bags.

"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."

Edited by Great_Cthulhu on 08/04/01 02:48 AM.

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #366595 - 08/04/01 02:04 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

That Sta-Green stuff is just what I got, but I think you may be thinking about a different kind of pro verm. I don't see anything but small pieces of vermiculite, the list of ingredients just says vermiculite, and there's a 'recipe' at the bottom that actually suggests you ADD woodchips...

How did you know your stuff had woodchips and peat in it?

Grover

"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

OfflineAbeZard
Loc: Charleston, SC
    #366623 - 08/04/01 06:30 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Are you for real about the Purssells Sta-Green Professional Grade Vermiculite?
That is EXACTLY what I am about to case with, so you've made me concerned.
I see no evidence of anything other than vermiculite in the bag and right on the bag it says "Ingredients: Vermiculite".
Has anyone else used this stuff? I hate to toss it unless I know its bad.
Abe

Abe Zaardvark
From historic coastal town in Southeast

--------------------
Abe Zaardvark
From historic coastal town in Southeast

Invisibleslither
addict
Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: AbeZard]
    #366663 - 08/04/01 11:10 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think Great_Cthulhu got a bad batch, I wouldn't worry about it as long it it all looks like verm. For you TN people, if you go to a local "Co-Op" feed store, they seem to be everywhere, ask them for the 4 cubic foot bags if you have the space, I mean we're talking 4'x,4'x4' of verm for $15, they may have to order them, but for that price who cares.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: slither]
    #366686 - 08/04/01 12:15 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I don't understand how wood and peat can be such a damning thing anyways. Both, especially peat, are used in many casing and substrate recipes and no one ever mentions how hard they are to sterilize.

Anyone have a definite answer?

Grover

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #366757 - 08/04/01 04:16 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing definite here, but it might be a problem for someone who steam "sterilizes" their substrate. I suppose it could be sifted.

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #366758 - 08/04/01 04:20 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

i think the "season" is over for potting. there was about three huge stacks of steer manure and each stack had atleast 50 bags at the Big K-mart and i bought one about a month ago and it worked good, and i went back a few days ago and they didnt have anymore! i was pissed!

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

OfflineShroomph

#366987 - 08/04/01 11:26 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Well, now I'm scared to use this verm. I can't even find on the bag where it tells the ingredients. Any opinions? Should I carry on or take this stuff back? If I take it back, I'll probably have to order it online. Couldn't find it at Wal-Mart, and don't really want to buy a 4-cubic feet bag. I sure don't want to waste a good print only to watch my jars get contaminated.
Thanks

--------------------

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: Shroomph]
    #367003 - 08/05/01 12:15 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

My bag says: Ingredients: Vermiculite on the back, towards the top. Are you sure yours doesn't have the ingredients list?

Personally, I'm not sold on this verm being BAD for two reasons

1) If it was a problem, you'd think there'd be more info on it, searching the boards only turned up a few listings and no problems with this verm

2) People use peat and woodchips as casings and substrate all the time, rarely even sterilizing the stuff. If it works unsterilized for casing it's gonna work just fine for substrate when its PC'd for an hour, right?

Is this logic solid?

Grover

--------------------

OfflineShroomph

#367029 - 08/05/01 01:25 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, I just noticed the ingredients.... didn't pay close enough attention before. Yeah, the logic sounds solid. I don't have a pressure cooker so I'm just going to sterilize my jars in a large pot over the range for an hour. Well, unless I receive further notice, I'm going to go ahead and use this vermiculite. Maybe I'll only do about 4-5 jars to be safe.
Cheers

--------------------

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
    #367036 - 08/05/01 01:52 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Ok slther, you bought a 4'X4'X4' cube of verm, and it was only 4 cubic feet, how the hell does this work?

To find the volume of a 4'x4'x4' cube, you must multiply 4x4x4 or 4^3 (which is why 4^3 is called "cubed", just as 4^2 is called "squared"). When I do this I come up with your total cubic footage being 64 cubic feet. If you have 64 cubic feet, you are never going to run out.

Support the FSR!

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

Invisibleslither
addict
Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: pyromaniac]
    #367045 - 08/05/01 02:10 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Well I haven't actually picked it up yet, like I said it's ordered, for some reason that's the picture I got when the guy at the feed store explained how big it was. All I know is it's alot of fucking verm, way more than 10qt bags.

I've been out of school for quite some time, and am self employed, so I'm not required to do much thinking along those lines. I'll take the measurements when I get the bag. I guess 4 cubic feet would be like a 2 x 2 foot cube then wouldn't it?

Offlinepyromaniac
addict
Loc: Oregon
    #367051 - 08/05/01 02:18 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

there are several possiblilities for the dimensions. However, 2x2 would equal four, but it would be left in the second dimension, so it has to be multiplies by another number to kick it into three dimensions. So, it could be 2x2x1 or 4x1x1. I guess that is all. Unless you formed it into a shape completely different than a cube, like the peices on tetris, where they all have four blocks, just aranged in different ways. Im sorry, really none of this matters so I will shut up about it.

Anyhow, if it is 4 cubic foot, then it is quite a bit less than you were thinking, (actually about 16 times less then you were thinking). But, 4 cubic feet is still a lot and will last a long time.

I just love making posts like this because they make me feel smart, but it is nothing more than just basic geometry.

Support the FSR!

--------------------
I admit it, Im a fungal-feliac :wink:
Support the FSR!

Invisibleslither
addict
Re: Luck is with me, the last two bags of verm anywher [Re: pyromaniac]
    #367057 - 08/05/01 02:32 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

You're right, it's not near as much as I'm thinking, I better order more :) Actually I don't even use verm, I've got a jumbo brick of coir sitting here, and cakes definately aren't my main way of cultivating, I just do them for variety out of boredum.

Well I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to feel smart, at least I accomplished something today :)

And I wouldn't be too concerned about the lowes verm if I were you guys.

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
    #367091 - 08/05/01 07:05 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Do what you wish ,FF. That Sta-Green vermiculite is foul...at least around here. Yes the only ingredients listed were Vermiculite, but you get the hidden bonus of dirt,wood, and peat however...don't ask me how it got in there..ask Purssel's. And aye you'd think PC'ing would help ...but I lost all 6 jars I PC'ed at 15 PSI for 45 mins to Cobweb mold...strange. Luckily I watch my jars a few days before I innoc. Maybe you have a cleaner batch of it..maybe.., but I'd look through it well. It's up to you..use it if you want. :)>

--------------------
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

#367153 - 08/05/01 11:23 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Great Chuthu (i'm sure I spelled that wrong, forgive me) did you actually see bits of wood, etc in your verm? Were you able to see it clearly?

Otherwise, how did you know it's there? Wouldn't most of the small bits settle to the bottom anyways?

Edited by FungusFarmer on 08/05/01 12:25 PM.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order