Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Peat, Pink Floyd, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Sterilizability of possible wood/peat in verm
    #367008 - 08/05/01 02:26 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys

I'd like to know if a bag of vermiculite that (allegedly) has a small amount of woodchips/peat mixed in, would be more prone to cobweb/other contaminants than a completely straight bag of vermiculite.

A discussion in Cultivation had someone saying that Pursells Professional Vermiculite has bits of wood and peat mixed in that made his growing attempt a complete disaster.

I have a bag of this stuff, and I don't see anything but little bits of verm. The ingredient list on the bag just says vermiculite. Searching the forums produced few answers.

I thought that many use peat (and sometimes wood, for azures, etc) as both a substrate and a casing layer all the time, sometimes without even sterilizing and it turns out just fine. How could any pre-existing contaminant survive 15psi for an hour anyways?

Anyways, what do you guys think? I'd really appreciate some input as I seem to have the only two bags of verm left in this town and it's hard to get more. A few of us really need to know if our fears are groundless, about little bits of wood/peat (you can't even see) causing widespread contamination :)

Thanks a lot
Grover

PS: reference these posts for mentioned discussions

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=366535&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=366682&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Sterilizability of possible wood/peat in verm [Re: FungusFarmer]
    #367088 - 08/05/01 08:57 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Your pressure cooker should take care of all these imaginary bits of peat and wood. This all seems a bit alarmist.

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: Sterilizability of possible wood/peat in verm [Re: puscle]
    #367148 - 08/05/01 01:15 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks puscle.

Normally, I wouldn't give a shit and just get some other vermiculite. But since it has seemed to vanish from the MidWest, except for getting 3x3x3 bags at feed stores (I could never fit it in my car) I want to be as sure as possible that I won't waste a few syringes on theoretically 'bad' vermiculite.

Thanks again
grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Peat, Pink Floyd, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology