Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Attention Deficit Disorder
    #3668316 - 01/23/05 05:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Being ADD/ADHD myself, my mind tends to drive me nuts alot of the time, especially when trying to read, write, or basicaly taking part in almost any other activity that involves the retaining of information/detail in general..it is pretty much a constant annoyance for me and I although I have been offered 'meds' for it multiple times growing up I had always turned away from them having not liked the idea of becoming dependant on something in order for my thought processes to function 'sufficiently' within the particular system/society we live..

So how exactly does one define Attention Deficit Disorder?  What does it mean to have ADD, and what causes it - if anything?  Could this be a natural phenomena, that might not actually require 'medication' for it as if it is an illness, but rather.. a different approach to things in every day life, maybe with a more informative understanding of why this type of thinking exists, and how this type of mind could acutally use the contition to his/her advantage.

Not before smoking some tasty marijuana, I found myself getting lost in a screensaver travelling through sequences of fractal patterns and couldn't help but start thinking about the fractal-like nature of time itself and what implications that might have on the conscious level.  Being pretty stoned at the time, I took note of the fact that my mind seemed to operate significantly slower while under the influence of that particular drug.  I also found it alot easier to just sit there and do nothing, which is basically the oposite of what most cases of ADHD are said to exhibit.  But what exactly is the drug, not to mention all the pharmaseuticals being pushed on all of these bored kids 'slowing down' ?

Again, getting lost in a flight through fractal land, it came to me that what the weed is doing is essentially slowing down my experience of time.  I will say this again, because I think in some ways this might be considered a very important observation considering the many levels of speculation surrounding the true nature of time and what possible implications that experience may have corresponding to the experience of consciousness.  Apparently, the experience of time can be thought of as a subjective phenomena.

That said, is the slowing down of perceived time not what alot of these drugs seem to be doing, giving one's mind more time to process, even if pratically unconsciously, to absorb and digest information more efficiently?  Sure, I guess that might seem like a concept just about everybody should be able to conform to, atleast in this particular culture we are very much a part of in these times..but how might this type of mind have addapted within a culture 100's or 1000's of years ago? 

Did anybody even notice there was ever a 'problem', or did it take having children being born into an already established 'information' society to really bring this condition to surface which for the most part (atleast in my case) almost seems to promote an apathetic attitude to this particular way of life in general?  That said I think it might be clear why the system seems so persistant on getting as many of these kids on these drugs as possible so early in life in the first place.  It is but one part of many in regulating the norm, in esbalishing conformity, for the overall consolidation of the system.

So in retrospect, might it be safe to consider that somebody with ADD may actually be 'travelling' through time at a higher speed than a 'normal' thinking person at the conscious level, and if so, what exactly would this mean?  I mean, it just seems to make sense to me right now.. generally when I am reading, or listenening to somebody speak I actually have to make an effort to keep up with the situation or vice versa..but why is this? 

When I am travelling at a high speedin a car, looking out the window I see things passing by constantly, without much time available to actually fully absorb what it is I am seeing than if I happened to be driving slowly, or stopped altogether.  Perhaps the same goes for what we call time, as experienced at the conscious level, when it is moving forward at a higher than average speed, than external stimuli may just blow right over ones head like a bird flying overhead your car, you know full well something flew by but how much detail of what was percieved could this type of person actually retain and identify with?

I'm not even sure where I am going with this..but I guess I will end this with something I realized years ago but never really thought as being even remotely related to ADD/ADHD until recently..  This is in essense what I meant when I suggested that perhaps one could use this condition to their advantage in one way or another.  How about taking part in something that is genuinely of interest?  I had realized quite early on in life that this system was not really setup in such a way as to promote LIFE, creativity, and other things of importance.. It is setup to breed resources to more or less serve an enterprise which just so happens to be very destructive to the planet we live on aswell as all life we are supposed to be sharing this space with.

So there we have it, low and behold..a cause.  Something worth working for.  The apathy slowly shifts over to curiosity, and then even anger - for a new justification to start giving a shit.  I guess this might be the current systems worst enemy..having little hippie brats running around showing love for eachother, the earth and all life in general with an apporach to everything that encourages peace and equallity.. Sure the ADD is still present, though it does seem significantly easier to manage while actually working for/towards something that quite frankly I feel is worthy of my attention.  I speculate that ADD probably exists to the degree it does in this culture today because quite simply this culture of confusion is not fit for humanity - in it's entirety it does not reflect the essense of that which we stem from in the first place.  Thanks largely to this realization, creative expression, and especially music can seemingly just flow right through me like water..and in this way the system is going to have to feel my wrath and deal with my love for existance no matter how much it happens to burn the face of this highly descructive dehumanization machine.

:sun: :sun: :sun:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3668377 - 01/23/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Note: None of this is a judgement on the usefulidiot.

I personally do not believe in ADD except as an undisciplined mind and/or somewhat different perspective.

Must we, as a society, label every aberration or deviation from the norm; and by merely labelling it, excuse it or explain it? "Gee, I pick my nose in public because I have nosepickitus..." Sounds rather redundant, doesn't it?

My ex-girlfriend was diagnosed with ADD.

Ex: "I am failing college because of my ADD."

Swami: The fact that you drink to oblivion every night, miss classes and refuse to study and do homework has nothing to do with your failing, eh?"

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: Swami]
    #3668404 - 01/23/05 05:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ADD has genetic origins
some are predisposed to it
its as real as any other genetic "disorder"

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: fresh313]
    #3668499 - 01/23/05 05:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That is not universally accepted as fact.

web page

"They made a list of the most common symptoms of emotional discomfiture of children; those which bother teachers and parents most, and in a stroke that could not be more devoid of science or Hippocratic motive--termed them a 'disease.' Twenty five years of research, not deserving of the term 'research.,' has failed to validate ADD/ADHD as a disease. Tragically--the "epidemic" having grown from 500 thousand in 1985 to between 5 and 7 million today--this remains the state of the 'science' of ADHD."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: Swami]
    #3668526 - 01/23/05 05:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Swami you have jsut criticised this kind of thinking in the other thread..

You too pick which scientific studies you are going to believe in and which not

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: skystone]
    #3668724 - 01/23/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm glad he did in this case because I would not like to see the book closed on this one, that such children are disordered and need meds to fit in with what makes life easy for adults and teachers.

My 8 year old nephew went on meds for it a few months ago and it was all I could do to hold back the tears. He's an awesome kid, very creative and artistic, huge heart, athletic, fun, considerate, sweet, learns fast through being shown how to do something, very emotionally sensitive-great people smarts. They put him on meds because he was behind in reading.

What is this BS that determines how fast a child should read? What is this BS that is telling our children something is wrong with them and they have to be medicated to be like the "right" children?

Loved the stats swam as my husband and I frequently say, most people in our age group (mid 30s)would've been diagnosed with one or the other when we were kids as well as both of us and now we read with hyper speed and comprehension. When 8 years old all we wanted to do was run and jump and play and be in our imaginations and that to me is a normal child. But when the faults want them to be sitting and reading so they can go to Harvard and make their parents egos proud, suddenly, what is normal for a child is made wrong.

Few things I am passionate about in this life, maybe only one thing and that is the children of the world. Of all the children I have known diagnosed with it, I have them in my home and see how well they respond to LOVE and Patience. Best meds for kids on the planet. It's the adults who lack the ability to give either and use the drugs as substitutes.

Just my personal opinions folks. Glad to hear usefulidiot that you said NO to those kinds of drugs!!!!!!!!!! love you as you are!!!!

Got a fun one for you; ADHD stands for Attention Dialed into Higher Dimensions. Nature knows what it is doing, the world benefits from those with book smarts and those with people smarts. I find kids with such diagnoses, to have greater emotional intelligence and high people smarts. Maybe that's why the parents and teachers want to dope them up, because these kids can see right through them and put their finger up to old world systems.

Swami, that one thread was on target where you made note of the governments war against drugs while they are the biggest supporters of drugging up our children through the educational system via these BS diagnoses.

Oh and so what if their is something in the gense for it. Ever consider that their is a purpose for it too that has not been realised or appreciated yet?

Please forgive my passion in this area, its just, they are children.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3668811 - 01/23/05 06:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ADD is a made up disorder someone invented.they want to give someone made up meds for made up disorders.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: Cosm]
    #3668938 - 01/23/05 07:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

not everyone on meds needs them
vice versa

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3669046 - 01/23/05 07:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with Swami in the sense that ADD is just another model of another aspect of reality.
Ultimately, you don't actually have 'ADD'. Relatively, you may. But not absolutely.

Quote from Shroomydan:
Most physicists today have abandoned the notion of absolute 'laws' of science. What we are left with is models of reality which work most of the time and theories.

There are other models that you can view your uniqueness through, rather than just "A.D.D.". For example, it could be the issue of identification with your mind which gives rise to compulsive thinking which is always rooted in psychological/inward/imaginary time, i.e. past and/or future. Then you can see that it's almost everybody who 'suffers' from "A.D.D." - merely in different intensities/magnitudes and variables.

Models are just that... models.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Edited by SkorpivoMusterion (01/23/05 07:53 PM)

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ...
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3669237 - 01/23/05 08:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

All you need is to sit in a room with another human being (Dr.whoeverthefuck)
for 15-20 minutes to be diagnosed with ADD...

I agree with Swami and Skorpivo on this matter...

If you think you have a problem, there will be a problem.
Doctors can put it in your mind that you're not normal, and need pills to feel normal, it can create a complex and ultimately make you feel like an obsolete human,
once you have that mindset, you will truly have a mental block.

I was diagnosed with ADD at a very young age, put on Ritalin (prescribed meth) and all that crap. I was really just rebellious, not interested in school and authority, I didn't need the mind control drugs, the comedown was too serious, I couldn't sleep, I wouldn't eat, when I came down I freaked out (so they prescribed me more :crazy: ), I would have to say the Ritalin fucked with me more than anything else.

I know now that I am an intelligent individual, capable of concentrating on what needs to be focused on, as myself and almost every human on this earth has the potential to gain full control over there mind, body and emotions, it just takes the desire for knowledge and enlightenment.

Trust me you're as normal as everyone else, but who is to say how normal everyone else is, or what the definition of a normal human mind is...

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: TeKn0  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

*EDIT*
grammar

Edited by TeKn0 (01/23/05 08:32 PM)

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: TeKn0]
    #3669299 - 01/23/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TeKn0 said:
as myself and almost every human on this earth has the potential to gain full control over there mind, body and emotions, it just takes the desire for knowledge and enlightenment.

amen to that..

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3669305 - 01/23/05 08:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

tell that to someone with autism

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
    #3669319 - 01/23/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fresh313 said:
tell that to someone with autism

he said almost..

People with autism don't count, I'm thinking of
avarage "normal" people

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3669332 - 01/23/05 08:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

maybe people with ADD dont count

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
    #3669342 - 01/23/05 08:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fresh313 said:
maybe people with ADD dont count

Well maybe they don't I didn't say anything about them...

I was commenting just that part of the text

--------------------

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Attention Deficit Disorder *DELETED* [Re: skystone]
    #3669380 - 01/23/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineTeKn0
†hè
Male User Gallery

Loc: ŵįţĥįń ? ?ŧąţĩ...
    #3669424 - 01/23/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My little 8 year old brother has autism...  :mad:
WTF! Do you know about it, can you or anyone else tell me how even they process thoughts?

Autism is not Down syndrome, even so, your brain is a tool used to control your physical being, the life-force is still there, they love, they cry, they have emotions just like us, they are here for the experience too.

Only people with such conditions don't need to gain complete control over there mind and bodies they don't have too, they are in my opinion some of the greatest most loving people you will ever meet, like animals they don't hate, categorize or judge people.

Your post(s) were offensive and ignorant, and truly reflect your state of intellect.  :thumbdown:

--------------------
Listen, or your tongue will keep you deaf. :wink:
ŦēҜй? - ??ĜįĈ?? ҒűČҝĮńĜ ?đVǻŃčЄмЄńŦ

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat-a-pult, Pingu Slap

Loc: SoCal
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: TeKn0]
    #3669508 - 01/23/05 09:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

ADD <~~~~means that the parent(s) need to give their kid an ass whippin'. and tell em to get their ass into gear!!! ADD my ass!!! fuckin lazy kids, and lazy parents who just want to keep their kid on drugs(aderol)(ritalin) (amphetamines) so that they become vegetables and sit their and"tweak" on something instead of bothering the parents,and becoming a inconvenience.

ADD is just another way for the Gov't to keep control over people (youth) forever. isn't a wonder how thousands of kids that are 18-25 now, are hooked on methamphetamine? because they no longer can have aderol or ritalin prescribed to them. after being on that shit for 5-10 years...the only thing that makes them feel"normal" is meth.
just my inturpetation of the situation.

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Re: Attention Deficit Disorder [Re: uriahchase]
    #3669516 - 01/23/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

uriahchase said:
parent(s) need to give their kid an ass whippin'. and tell em to get their ass into gear!!! ADD my ass!!! fuckin lazy kids

...how profound

--------------------

OfflineEarthAngel
Tripper

Loc: New Zealand
    #3674435 - 01/24/05 10:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If anyone " suffering" from "ADD" would like to try something, unpharmacuetical, go for your Essential Fatty Acids,6, that are found in fish oil, or flaxseed oil, available from ur health shop. We have put many people complaining of these symptoms, and also depression onto Fish oils, and have had great results.
Thats if you feel it is affecting you from living your life to the fullest, but good on you for taking a step back and lookn at the bright side!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology