Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Slooooooooooooow Server!
    #366420 - 08/03/01 05:06 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone else notice how slow the shroomery server is lately. I thought we just switched to a better server? Sure does not seem that way to me.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinesHemp13
old hand
Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: Humidity]
    #366429 - 08/03/01 05:32 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

It must be your connection because even on my ultrashitty phone line its been loading fairly quickly.
Maybe the drugs are just fucking up your perception of time...

--------------------

OfflineNorShroom
enthusiast

Loc: Kongsberg in Norway
    #366454 - 08/03/01 06:54 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have ADSL or something? I get the same thing, but when using an ISDN connection the response time is faster. The loads are faster on a ADSL but the time it takes to get an response from the server is increased. Anyone know as how this may bee? I guess you would get the same thing on any sort of shared internet connection where you connect through a LAN.

Or maybe it is because the two uses different ISPs.

"If you treat an individual as he is, he will stay as he is,
but if you treat him as he ought to be and could be,
he will become as he ought to be and could be"
-Goethe

Edited by NorShroom on 08/03/01 07:56 PM.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: NorShroom]
    #366475 - 08/03/01 07:34 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I use ADSL and I get really quick load times, never been a problem for me since we switched... Sometimes I see it slow down, but thats because of the amount of users online....

We'll look into it and see if there is something slowing down some users.

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: Thor]
    #366494 - 08/03/01 08:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Upgrade your connection Humidity. I get pages instantly

Huh? Who just said that? Wow man!

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

OfflineShroomph

#366520 - 08/03/01 10:08 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

it seems like my connection has been really slow since switching servers, but only on the message forums. The rest of the site loads fine.

--------------------
Why, oh, why didn't I take the BLUE pill?
Join the fight against marijuana prohibition; join NORML

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: Shroomph]
    #366679 - 08/04/01 11:54 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

aye, seems the message forum is the most heavily used thing on the site, use your brains matees.

Originally no one is deluded.
-bankei

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#366750 - 08/04/01 04:04 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

agreed, i have a cable line and it takes forever to fucking load the main page

We're all MADD here...

InvisibleMeilikhios
God of Love andEcstasy
Loc: Nysa
    #366792 - 08/04/01 05:09 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thor,

I too use an ADSL connection and i have also noticed that eversince you switched to the new server everything on the shroomery has slowed
down - for me at least. This is always the case so i'm not quite sure that is has anything to do with the number of people online, but anyway i'm not an expert.

--------------------
" Que l'illusion du ph?nix te terrasse !" - Phoenix Ikki

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: Meilikhios]
    #366817 - 08/04/01 05:53 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

We need to look into this, some people tell me that they've seen a really big improvement in speed, and some are saying its slower... Very strange, must be something odd going on since we have way more memory than before, plus a faster processor....

Don't worry, if we can make it better we definately will.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #366981 - 08/04/01 11:09 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I just got my ADSL service about a month ago. When I am in the main web site everything runs great no complaints, but when I come to the message board thing slow down drastically. When I click on a post it takes 20-30 seconds for it to load. It never took that long before when I had my 56K modem going. I am going to check it out on my parents cable modem when I get the chance and see if I have the same problem. Hopefully there will be a easy solution to this problem.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #367172 - 08/05/01 12:26 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I've got a 56K modem. In reality, I'm getting roughly a 26K conection. Since the cross-over to the Shroomery's new server, I'm getting 1/3 to 1/2 the speed when I click on the threads, etc. I've bookmarked both the WWWthreads and the Shroomery home page and alot of the time, I can acces the main with lightning speed and The Bulletin Boards, sometimes, will not even load. I think it's because it cannot receive a connection. Thus, I'll get an error or "Connection with the Server cannot be established."
I too believe it's because of the amount of users at the time, but before the new server, this was not a problem.
The amount of memory in the Virtual Hard-Drive may be significantly larger, but it seems that the processor is running slower.
Also, maybe the server has many more sites hosted than the previous. Or, possibly, you'd have to calculate the many, many speeds of the users' processors and then calculate the "mean" or "average" speed of the users' processors versus, or including the high-speed of, the "new" processor.
I'm only thinking this, because I'm guessing there are quite a few users who are using, per say, a P90 or P150, etc. and some that are using a PII 800. Before, the Shroomery processor may have been, per say, a PII 233. So, anyone under would benefit and anyone over would be barely slowed down. Now, If the Shroomery's processor is over a gig, per say, and a user is still using a P90, then everyone will have to bear with the slowness, considering the "mean" is roughly(according to my ficticious numbers assigned) a 550mhz processor, mean. And given that the infamous P90 users are on-line and also at the Shroomery message boards(in multitude versus the 500mhz+processor users), then the boards would be slowed to an almost halt for those of us who are using the faster processors.
You see, if all of the users, their servers, and the Shroomery server were all using the same connection, at the same time, with the same processor, then they would all be able to connect and search the boards at the same speed, which would not be bad at all.
Stay cool!-Levi7.

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: Levi7]
    #367180 - 08/05/01 12:53 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Right now the server has a P3 744Mhz, 512MB ram. We are looking into adding another processor and more memory. The big slowdown is the BB. It by far uses the most resources. The site is faster than it used to be if there are < 30 people and you have cable. Hopefully we can recieve a couple donations to help us improve the server.

3dshroom@shroomery.org
http://www.shroomery.org

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Slooooooooooooow Server! [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #367184 - 08/05/01 12:58 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

ping the site from your computer, see what the results are, most likely those people that its going slow for the server has to run over bad phone lines someway along the way, in that case theres zip you can do to improve speed, trace your connection to www.shroomery.org and check it out. if youre getting a stable and fast connection then repost your results.

Originally no one is deluded.
-bankei

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals