Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Do you find genetic tampering unethical?
    #3667091 - 01/23/05 11:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1312708.stm
Here is an article about a couple genetic experiments.

I think that these expirements should be allowed and more research should be done on the idea of the transfer of conciousness from one dying old person to a new body. If this procedure would ever become possible we would be able to see generations upon generations of life. This step towards higher technological development is seen as unethical by many then a few doctors. But could lead the world into a new era, where one man could see more then just the future, the man's inherent soul would never die.

Now do you guys see this as an unethical procedure?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleClark
Bar RoomSuperman

Re: Do you find genetic tampering unethical? [Re: Droz]
    #3667185 - 01/23/05 11:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, the article you link to isn't that much of an ethical bombshell from where I sit. If I understand it correctly, a byproduct of the fertility treatment used is that the child ends up with mitochondrial DNA inhereted from the donor rather than the birth mother. There is no attempt at any kind of enhancement here, just an end-around around the birth mother's infertility problem.

Not that the notion of genetic enhancement necessarily makes me squeamish, mind you. It's just that this particular procedure doesn't even venture into that territory, so that's one less "red flag" ethically.

--------------------

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Do you find genetic tampering unethical? [Re: Clark]
    #3667355 - 01/23/05 12:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i think that genetics is an amazing scientific advance, and that not studying it further could set the race back lightyears from its intergallactic counterparts, maybe thi is the point when we have the power to reach this super-intelligence and understanding, but it seems as though we ae refusing to utilize it.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Do you find genetic tampering unethical? [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3667695 - 01/23/05 02:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

experiments need to be done, restrictions need to be done.
unfortunately the right mix of scientific and ethical integrity has not yet been formulated to determine which experiments should be fostered.

laymen cannot interpret and scientists may have blinkers on
laymen do not know what to look for, scientists may just be hanging onto any job or potential of fame or notoriety.
laymen do not comprehend the controls and labs wont do well completely locked down.

to grow the right talent to do this we need ethics level grad and phd students as liberally funded candidates after completing masters level biochemistry molecular biology and biophysics training.

funding in that area will cull some who might otherwise buy into corporate science mentality.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Do you find genetic tampering unethical? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3669475 - 01/23/05 09:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Do I find genetic tampering unethical? No

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Do you find genetic tampering unethical? [Re: Droz]
    #3669512 - 01/23/05 10:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Droz said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1312708.stm
Here is an article about a couple genetic experiments.

I think that these expirements should be allowed and more research should be done on the idea of the transfer of conciousness from one dying old person to a new body. If this procedure would ever become possible we would be able to see generations upon generations of life. This step towards higher technological development is seen as unethical by many then a few doctors. But could lead the world into a new era, where one man could see more then just the future, the man's inherent soul would never die.

Now do you guys see this as an unethical procedure?

It depends on a lot of things. But from the current scientifical standpoint I say it is ethical, but ONLY if it is available to everyone. Because if not, capitalism would go into its deadliest
and worst form: rich people that control the mass born perfect children that take over the world in science, economy, everything due to their perfect genes, and carry out their fathers ideals.

eternal life..
For that we would have to migrate into space, we can't possibly affoard billions of eternal people (and billions to come) here on earth.

And if it turns out that consciousness is eternal, it would be
a stupid thing to chose. If not it could turn us into gods that we once thought we were.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology