Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Vendor Hype Continues
    #3666012 - 01/23/05 01:13 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Someone recently posted this link in another forum and i was terribly surprised to see that the same utter drivel that PF used to regurtitate in a bid to sell more spores is still around:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_mycology1.shtml

Maybe someone should email erowid about the content of this article - its utter crap and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of mushroom biology and genetics...

At the end of the day, I can tell you that changing the colour of spores through a phenotype freakout doesnt mean that you have a new species - or ahve magically converted one species into another - you cant make a dog have longer whiskers, or bigger claws and then call it a cat, can ya?
if its still got the same basidia, spores size and shape, cystidia and other characteristics, then it aint a new species.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #3666631 - 01/23/05 03:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Looks more like a mutant to me. Like albino animal has red eyes.. :laugh: But they can have a popular mutation.. Here the white rabbits with red eyes are popular.

Ever tried the Mushroomfriendicum Greenmoldii?? :grin:

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3666667 - 01/23/05 03:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

>Maybe someone should email erowid about the content of this article

You?

Offlinepsychedelicjones
explorer

Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3666672 - 01/23/05 03:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Who is claiming that there is a new species? All I can see is mention of various "varieties" - not the same thing at all.

pj

--------------------
http://www.psychedlicjones.com/

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: psychedelicjones]
    #3666722 - 01/23/05 04:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Dont ask me! :lol:

In the article he is talking variety. Whats the definition, when does one have a new variety and when a new species?

In the end not much to worry about the article... :wink:

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #3666769 - 01/23/05 04:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Bluemeanie stikes again, good job  :thumbup:

:laugh:

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3666928 - 01/23/05 06:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Fungi are neither cats nor dogs.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3666935 - 01/23/05 06:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
if its still got the same basidia, spores size and shape, cystidia and other characteristics, then it aint a new species.

but it is a new mutation, as we all know, a mutation is simply a step in evolution
this is the second red spore psilocybe to be mentioned, stephen peele discovered
one in north florida several years back that was growing wild

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3666962 - 01/23/05 07:28 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i've read that previously and found it interesting.

they're supposedly going to release the spores to the public after the name has been set in stone. it's supposedly been tested and found to be of the same general psilocin/psilocybin content as a "normal" cubensis. it looks very interesting to me... i don't see why you scoff at it... enlighten me, please? not only has the spore color changed, but the gill color shape as well...

i'm not very educated in general mycology, i'm afraid. please, explain this for the n00bs. :smile:

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3667186 - 01/23/05 09:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ZeroArmy27 said:i'm not very educated in general mycology, i'm afraid. please, explain this for the n00bs. :smile:

Me either but I thirst for knowledge.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: KaptKid]
    #3667358 - 01/23/05 10:55 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What is in a name!?!? The point of the article is that after years of being in the business, you can end up "Discovering" unique varieties. These varieties are not "Anomolies" or "Mutants", as they reproduce, and share a sustainable, yet unique similarity to the original family which it came from.

If mom, dad, and all of your ancestors all have blond hair and blue eyes... chances are good that thier children will also have this trait. However, if two kids comes out, both with brown hair and eyes, one having children that only have blond hair and blue eyes, and one having kids that never have blond hair or blue eyes. The one kid that always has children with blond/blue, was a mutant... while the other is a new breed, variation.

Most "Mutants" occur when the abscence of some gene is the final outcome... where as "Variations" occur form the gain of additional or permanantly changed genes that are equally compatable. A lot of mutants often have lost so much of there genes that thier sex becomes sterile or damaged, and chances of reproduction are slim. Variations often have no change in thier sex genes, breeding normally, going back to a 50/50 gene split, with a chance of 75/25 gene dominance.

Um... It's just a name, don't let it get to you... after all, you may "Find" a new "Variation" to call your own, one day.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/23/05 11:19 AM)

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3667579 - 01/23/05 11:59 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I know a little mycology and taxonomy.... I don't give much credit to the method we deliniate "species" by scopic characteristics in Eumycota. A good example is the morel, I have found morels with pitted stems at times. A taxonomist would be hard pressed to call that "pitted stem morel" the same as the normal morel. I found this paragraph on mushroomexpert:

"The gilled mushrooms do not represent a coherent group, taxonomically speaking. Recent DNA research has shown that the simple fact that a mushroom has gills does not necessarily relate it to other mushrooms with gills. Thus the "Agaricales," the taxonomic order used for centuries to hold mushrooms with gills, turns out not to include species of Russula and Lactarius, for example, but does include the Bird's Nest Fungi and many Puffballs. Who knew?"

But what is alluded to above is the difference between taxonomy and phylogeny.

As I understand it; under currently accepted taxonomy in the class Agaricales a different spore color puts the mushroom in a different family, regardless of any other characteristic. Please explain why this doesn't apply in this situation.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Vendor Hype Continues *DELETED* [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3693274 - 01/28/05 11:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Cosm

Reason for deletion: fyhuk

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: Cosm]
    #3708731 - 01/31/05 04:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

i was terribly surprised to see that the same utter drivel that PF used to regurtitate

There's a good reason for that. This YachaJ is pretty buried up PF's ass, and has been for a while. He's posted here in the past with the general content of his posts being anything more than PF tek is a complete waste of time energy and intelect. It's therefore not surprising that you see a corealation between him and PF.
BTW, I've seen yachaJ referred to as PFE (supposedly PF Europe) if that means anything to anybody.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Vendor Hype Continues [Re: mycofile]
    #3729209 - 02/04/05 06:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Prisoner wrote: 'but it is a new mutation, as we all know, a mutation is simply a step in evolution
this is the second red spore psilocybe to be mentioned, stephen peele discovered
one in north florida several years back that was growing wild '

i wish you had read my post instead of typing this drivel - it demonstrates a profound lack on understanding of biology in general, let alone mycological genetics.
By mutants you mean phenotypes - which arent really mutants because they are just expressions of the same genetic profile, so what you are saying makes no sense which isnt surprising because its obvious that you dont know what it means either...

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3739992 - 02/06/05 07:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

one of the key features to distinguish the mushroom genus Agrocybe from Psilocybe was the color of the spores. Psilocybe mushrooms have dark violet, almost black spores while Agrocybe spores are of a rusty brown ('fawn') color.

This is the only thing that really caught my eye in that whole article.

Does the existance of Redspore bring into question the classification of Psilocybe?

Could this gene have been picked up from genetic exchange with an Agrocybe?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate