Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Corn Syrup Culture Experiment
    #3665454 - 01/23/05 01:35 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Abstract: I have grown liquid mycelia for p. cubensis and pan. cyanescens before in a mixture of corn syrup and water. I usually just added one table spoon of corn syrup to approx 100-200mL of water. Not very scientific but it worked. Now I'm going to try to see exactly what percentage of corn syrup to water provides the 'best' results. The two factors that I am using for quantifying the results are speed of spore germination and size of mycelial mass on each day. This should leave me knowing which concentration of corn syrup is the ideal concentration. I'll start off with a percentage that I know works well, 15%. The percentage is of corn syrup to water.

Experiment: A total of three half-pint Mason jars are going to be used. One will contain the 15% solution known to work. It will be my control. Their will be two variants, one at 23% and the other at 30%. I've doubled the control and struck an almost perfect near medium. If these all grow mycelia I'll up the percentages. If only the 15 and the 23 show growth I can narrow the percentages. All of the jars will be inoculated with a dilute spore solution. The syringe has 1.2ccs of vendor-provided spore solution left. The syringe will be filled to 6ccs with sterile water. Two cc's of this solution will be injected into each jar. The time to visible mycelia and the growth will be recorded.

Procedure: [All of the sanitization will not be described here as it is not a variable nor is it pertainent to the experiment. I'll say that I can do 2-3 months of grain to grain transfers, agar work, liquid mycelia, spawning bulk substrates and applying casings and have maybe one item contaminate from all of these procedures. If their is interest I will do a write up for my cleaning and disinfection procedures.]

The first task was finding a suitable way of measuring the exact mL of corn syrup added to each jar. The corn syrup, even when heated with warm water, was much too dense to be sucked up into a syringe for measuring. I decided that I would mix it 1:1 with boiling water. I used one level tablespoon of boiling water to one level tablespoon of corn syrup and repeated until I had 500mL of corn syrup in a flask. The corn syrup dissolved totally with some stirring. You can tell when it's dissolved due to the lack of cloudiness in the water. Each mL of this solution equaled .5mL of corn syrup.

Each jar had the proper amount of solution added to it. I had a teakettle with distilled water at a roaring boil. I poured this boiling water into each jar until they each contained 100mL of solution. Each jar was then stirred until the corn syrup was dissolved. A plastic lid (w/a 1/8" hole bored through each in the center) was placed on each jar and a square of aluminum foil was folded over the lid.

Usually I just do the boiling water for sterilizing the media and I get no contams. I decided that I would pressure cook this media for 5 minutes at 5psi. I figured as long as the media was brought to a boil in the pressure cooker, anything harmful would perish. No carmellizaition occured.

As soon as the jars cooled to room temp they were placed in a glove box and inoculated with the spore solution. Currently they are in an incubator at 84?F. As I hear from my friend as to the results, I'll post them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
Re: Corn Syrup Culture Experiment [Re: SoopaX]
    #3667686 - 01/23/05 02:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting, I look forwward to seeing your results. What kind of corn syrup are you using? Supermarket corn syrups are cut with water. Commercial corn syrups are 60% solids, 40% water. (Corn syrup is usually just a dextrose mixed with water, most often corn syrup is mady be using an enzyme or a weak acid to break down longer chain sugars)

I have an idea, instead of trying to draw plain corn syrup into a syringe, or even a cup measure, you could cut it: 2 parts water to one part syrup. This should make it pretty fluid, and (hopefully) easier to handle. Just remember how much water you added at that stage and subtract it from the total in the jars. mmmm, but you may beed to transfer the corn syrup to a larger container to get that wo work. If you want I can send you some corn syrup solids: it looks like coarse granulated sugar, and you just add water. That would allow for good precision. Let me know if you're interested!

Something that candymakers use is a refeactometer. It will show you how much corn syrup is dissolved in the water. It is a fairly percise piece of equipment (small and easy to use too), I'd check on ebay. (That would also lend itself to very scientific results.)

You must have a good handling procedure for your media!

~Bruce

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

Edited by chocbruce (01/23/05 02:30 PM)

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Corn Syrup Culture Experiment [Re: chocbruce]
    #3667795 - 01/23/05 02:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the input. I mixed the corn syrup (which is clear Karo syrup) with water so I would have a known amount in the solution. A refractometer would work very well, I might have to invest in one.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Corn Syrup Culture Experiment [Re: SoopaX]
    #3668942 - 01/23/05 07:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Corn Syrup Culture Experiment [Re: Anno]
    #3669395 - 01/23/05 09:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting read. So cubensis produced significant amounts of psilocybin in liquid culture, but cyanescens and the other one did not.

My experiment with colonized cracked corn indicated similar amounts of psilocybin and/or psilocin in both Psilocybes cubensis and azurescens.

I notice these cocktails were shaken, not stirred.

--------------------

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Corn Syrup Culture Experiment [Re: Anno]
    #3670303 - 01/24/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Very interesting. I suppose measuring the pH would be another useful experiment.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology