Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomyTunes
psychedeliac

Loc: Ontario
I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs
    #3664612 - 01/22/05 09:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Everyone is born with the chance to lead a healthy lifestyle. However, decisions can be made by the individual that will greatly affect their health for the worse. When it comes to psychoactive drug use, responsibility is crucial. There are so many substances available to people these days that will have a detrimental effect upon them if abused or used in an unsafe manner. Step one to avoiding harm caused by recreational drugs is to be educated. Unfortunately, programs such as Project RAID (Reduce Abuse In Drugs) and DARE (Drug Awareness Resistance Education) have too many flaws in them. For one, they are taking action on kids at the Grade 5/6 level. In my opinion, this does no good whatsoever. First of all, Grade 6 children know very little about drugs. When a police officer comes to a school and tells a bunch of kids about pills, powders and plants that alter your state of mind, they become curious and interested. Does this do any good? Of course not. It would be much more sensible if they waited until the kids hit High School when they actually might come in contact with these substances, before educating them on the subject. This way, they can relate to what is being taught as it has become more of a part of their lives and they won't forget what they were told 3 or 4 years earlier. The second flaw in these programs is the misinformation. It's a great thing that there are people out there that are informing kids about the dangers of drugs use, but I find it to be quite unnerving that a great deal of what they say is complete malarkey. If you are going to be honest about the situation and inform people of the actual risks and effects of drug use then that?s great, but when the kids find out that even a few things that they are told are lies, the validity of the whole program goes down the drain. I for one don't enjoy being deceived (although the government would prefer it if I did). If the government didn't pump a boatload of propaganda into the anti-drug programs and tell the often oblivious officers to speak to us about urban legends and absurd side effects related to drugs then perhaps people would buy into what they are saying to a greater extent. Don't get me wrong there are a vast amount of kids that still believe what they were told to this day but I am not gullible enough to believe absolutely everything I am told. I found it quite interesting though that they spent their time making up ridiculous things about "soft" drugs but didn't say a word regarding alcohol during any of the sessions. I can name several drugs that are less harmful to the body and less dangerous to be under the influence of than alcohol but that obviously didn't concern the people who developed the programs. You'll have you excuse me, I'm not thinking too clearly at the moment--for a second I forgot that the government gets money every time someone purchases an alcoholic beverage. Silly me. Overall, I don't think many people gained anything from these efforts.

Any comments on these anti-drug programs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: ShroomyTunes]
    #3664647 - 01/22/05 09:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah......they suck.  :thumbdown: All they do is spread lies and misinformation, make good people seem like criminals and nuts.....  Many people use drugs with no knowledge about them except for the dare BS, which is no knowledge at all, many of these people wind up getting seriously fucked up. If they knew the facts, at least they'd have good info.....also, these programs make drugs more interesting. I for one tried coke, heroin, other opiates, and angel dust directly out of curiousity dare instilled in me, many others have done the same. I've noticed a correlation between the increase in anti-drug propaganda, and drug use.  The truth needs to be told......

--------------------

Edited by Dark_Star (01/22/05 09:27 PM)

OfflineAnjaba
Yet to trip....
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa
    #3664658 - 01/22/05 09:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

They didn't have any effect on me, except to get me familiar with the different types of drugs and what classification they are.  I personally don't think it had much of an effect on most of the other members that frequent these forums either :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Anjaba]
    #3664831 - 01/22/05 09:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

They make up so many gay ass LSD rumors like acid will melt into your skin and make you trip forever.

--------------------

OfflineK4Lic0
Salvianaut
Loc: North Carolina
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #3664921 - 01/22/05 10:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Haha! My brother was in town not to long ago, and him, my mom, and I got into a conversation about D.A.R.E. (don't remember how it came up) and we decided that it makes you want to do drugs more than not..

I must also admit that I failed D.A.R.E. (yes, it is possible.. and I did it!)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: K4Lic0]
    #3665152 - 01/22/05 10:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How is it possible to fail DARE? That was the easiest program ever

And I tend to like those anti-drug programs, they inspire countless future drug users, and make people distrust the government's lies more than ever

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinetoneloke
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Ravus]
    #3665281 - 01/22/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I am still in high school and in grade 8 they told me about MDMA... They told me that MDMA explodes seratonin making you permanently more and more unhappy with each time you do it, I am still confused about that to this day having found no information on erowid about seratonin "exploding", the closest thing I found to that was "releasing". Still a bit confused.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: toneloke]
    #3665308 - 01/22/05 11:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:lol:

:lol:
Quote:

MDMA blocks the reuptake of 5-HT, similarly to SSRI (serotonin specific reuptake inhibiting) anti-depressants such as fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline, and paroxetine. Unlike those drugs, however, MDMA appears to enter the neuron, either through passive diffusion or directly through the reuptake transporter, and causes the release of 5-HT. This release is calcium-independent (i.e. independent of the firing of the 5-HT neuron) and appears to come from cytoplasmic stores rather than from synaptic vesicles. The released 5-HT then enters the synaptic cleft through the 5-HT transporter. MDMA thus acts on 5-HT similarly to the way amphetamines act on dopamine.

It is thought that this efflux of 5-HT into the synaptic cleft, and the subsequent action of this 5-HT on pre- and post- synaptic binding sites is central to MDMA's neuropharmacology. MDMA, however, has micromolar potency for the serotonin 5-HT2, muscarinic M1, alpha-2 adrenergic and histamine H1 receptors. Agonist (stimulation rather than blocking) properties at the 5-HT2 receptor have been found to fairly universally be associated with "classical" psychedelic drugs such as LSD, psilocybin and mescaline. It is possible that some of MDMA's "psychedelic" effect occurs because of interactions with this receptor. The alpha-2 adrenergic receptor may be associated with some of the carciovascular effects of MDMA. MDMA also releases dopamine which may be central to both its psychological action and to its neurotoxicity in animal studies. Pre- treatment of an animal with a drug which blocks dopamine release will also block MDMA neurotoxicity. Also, serotonin specific releasing agents which are non-dopaminergic have been synthesized and been found to be devoid of MDMA's neurotoxicity in animals, they have also been found to be devoid of MDMA's psychological effects. MDMA tends to indirectly *inhibit* the firing and release of dopamine in nigrostriatal dopamine neurons (neurons projecting from the substantia nigra to the striatum) due to local 5-HT release.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_info7.shtml

Serotonin does not explode. That's complete and utter bullshit

And since you need to be 18 to be here, you should keep it on the d/l that you're still in high school

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: toneloke]
    #3665321 - 01/22/05 11:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

toneloke said:
I am still in high school and in grade 8 they told me about MDMA...

Are you 18? *age patrol*

--------------------
delta9

OfflineAnjaba
Yet to trip....
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: delta9]
    #3666956 - 01/23/05 07:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

My sisters a junior in High school and is 18, and she never even failed. It's highly likely that he is 18 especially if he got held back at all. I turned 18 at the beginning of my senior year, as do a lot of students.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Anjaba]
    #3672639 - 01/24/05 02:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Indeed, I was also 18 at the second half of my senior year, though that still means that I spent 87.5% of my high school "career" as a minor

That's a bit off topic though, he probably is 18 or so if he's a senior in high school. They don't seem to teach much biology or chemistry though if kids in high school think MDMA makes serotonin "explode" in your brain. Obviously the cops must've learned even less

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
    #3672655 - 01/24/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not against anti-drug campaigns. What I'm against is mis-information. Most anti-drug programs are built on older ones that contained false information. Much of that information was the result of anti-drug political movements and were based on either bad research, no research, or just outright lies. Telling kids that drugs do something that they don't do is the worst thing in the world to do. When they see their friends getting high and not jumping off buildings or killing people, they know they have been lied to and are more likely to try them out.

As for when to start them- most kids are hearing about drugs by the time they are in 6th grade, so assuming a good program is put in place, I think that is a good age to start. Parents should start sooner.

The key is truth.

OfflineCaptain_Tripps
Stranger
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Supernova]
    #3673060 - 01/24/05 03:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yes anti-drugg programs are B U L L S H I T! they lie so badly just to get people not to use drugs that dont harm them in the first place. back in shcool a DARE officer told me that a guy on pcp got shot 3 times in the head and 15 times in the chest and he was still able to lift up a car and throw it 10 yards and ripp off a cops head with his bare hands. i kno pcp enhances your performance but shot 3 times in the head!? youve got to be frukin kidding me. i think that there is enough of us logical people in the us that if we all fight we can make some action in out government. i think thats what we have to do. there is NO reason why people should not be able to responsibly enjoy mind expanding substances in a consequence-free enviromnet. i think they do it because they just dont want to admit that they were WRONG in criminalizing it in the first place.

InvisibleSupernova
Stranger
Male
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Captain_Tripps]
    #3673080 - 01/24/05 03:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I hear ya man. Even the Resident Evil Zombies go down when shot in the head. Nuts.

OfflineYellowman
Friendly guy

Loc: Downtown
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Supernova]
    #3674593 - 01/24/05 09:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Two girls outside of home depot hit me up for contributions for their school's DARE program.
"Will you support keeping kids off drugs with a contribution?"
I said, "No, thank you" I didn't explain that I thought people should think for themselves and that I think people can GROW through experiences with drugs. To sort of say goodbye, I said, "Alright."
One of the girls snaps back, "No, its not alright. We are trying to keep kids off drugs. Have a great day."
Rude bitch. I was so angry with her I was going to tell the manager in the store, but figured who cares. Still, there was no way in HELL I was going to give those fascists any of my money.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Yellowman]
    #3674606 - 01/24/05 09:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I would've given those kids a brownie as a reward for their noble quest

Let's see them bitch people out about drugs after that :evil:

--------------------

OfflineCrazyShroomMan
journeyman
Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: Ravus]
    #3676467 - 01/25/05 07:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

When i learned about drugs in 8th grade i remember the one drug they tought me that i wanted to try. It was pcp because it had a picture of a guy with his eyes swirling with stars and what not swirling around his head. i thought , that looks fuN! then i ate mushrooms and ninth grade and its 5 years later and ive still never done pcp :P

Offlinesonik888
Raver
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Anti-Anti-Drug Programs [Re: K4Lic0]
    #9476434 - 12/22/08 02:41 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

K4Lic0 said:

I must also admit that I failed D.A.R.E. (yes, it is possible.. and I did it!)

ha ha ha ha, hey! I failed DARE too! they tried to make me retake the class in the 5th grade, but I said no way and they gave up.

--------------------
It needs to be done.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds