Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAmygdala
Learner

Publishings/Experiment Forum (Yes, yet another request)
    #3657368 - 01/21/05 06:20 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hello all,
A quick background, I've been coming here since around 99 or 2000, somewhere around there, and just fairly recently created this account. One thing that has always been on my mind would be a highly moderated forum for well designed experiments. The proposed rules follow:

All posts must be of an experimental nature (pertaining to mushroom cultivation)

For a post to be allowed, it would have to utilize the scientific method, and be well documented, preferably with pictures.

No redundant or irrelevant replies

The reason for this specific request, is due to the fact that many of the best threads here are cluttered with irrelevant information. One example i can think of is the coffee project thread, at 25 posts per page, I'm up to 20-21 pages. I would say 25 posts total (at the VERY most) have actually contributed to idea.

Really, a separate forum wouldn't even be required if the board programming allowed it. I would like to be able to post detailed experimentation without the next 5 posts being "one liners" (Eg:Interesting, I'll have to try that, I'm really stoned right now guys, what strain is the best?) If one could lock their own thread, and simply post a link to their own "discussion" post regarding the topic, they could collect and organize the questions and contributions in a FAQ manner, and attach it right below the initial post.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I would really like to implement some organization for those who would use it. Alot of good threads just seem to cycle the same material for months, and finding the real info requires lots of digging.

I would be happy to contribute to this idea in any way possible, as I know that this would increase the workload. I don't claim to be an expert in any field, but I would be happy to help organize the info for the ones who are experts.

I truly feel that this would help our community progress in a healthy manner.

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Publishings/Experiment Forum (Yes, yet another request) [Re: Amygdala]
    #3658191 - 01/21/05 01:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

In theory, great.
In reality, there already is a forum for that, Advanced Mushroom Cultivation.

Now, you can not prohibit people from posting replies on a bulletin board, after all this is what a board is for.

But you are more than welcome to extract the important information from threads, like that coffee thread and post it in the FAQ Contributions forum. Then it will be added to the appropriate section either in the post archives or the collection of teks and FAQ.

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Publishings/Experiment Forum (Yes, yet another request) [Re: Amygdala]
    #3658434 - 01/21/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That is a great idea!

I agree with Anno, but I would love to see something like that, some 'real' science on the Shroomery :smile: I have thought about something like that, but I still have to grow my first mushroom :blush: I have also thought about that for the mushroom experience itself (blind experiments with dosage, strain/specie, etc, etc), but that is nearly impossible because you need people from everywhere doing the same thing. Some would have to eat a placebo and that's no fun if you are prepared for a trip.

I never visit any cultivation forum (I will in the future), do you think there are enough people who can and will contribute?

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: Publishings/Experiment Forum (Yes, yet another request) [Re: Annom]
    #3658740 - 01/21/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

********(edit) arggghh, this reply was meant for Amygdala. My mistake*********

I'm certain there are enough that can/will contribute. For me Mush cult and Adv mush cult are the bread and butter of this website. Sure, I enjoy spending time in The Pub and other forums but that's just what I do when I need a break from the cult forums.

The Mushroom Cultivation forum is basically a place where new members come to ask those same tired questions over and over again. I however do enjoy answering them because I like to help people out.

The Advanced Cultivation forum is usually really good about policing it's own when it comes to those one-liners and non-scientific posts. Most people will let you know rather quickly and abruptly what is and isn't acceptable in adv cult. Well, with the exception of "The Coffee Project" thread. That one kind of got out of hand and I view it is one of the few isolated incidents where adv cult drops down to the level of the mush cult forum.

So, I guess I'm agreeing with Anno here in saying that I think Adv Cult would be the place for these type of experiments. Maybe you could add a note to the bottom of your post that reads something like this:

**NOTE: This post is a gathering of information through the use of the scientific method and any contributions to this thread should be done so with the same regard. Please, no one liners or irrelevant questions. If you would like to help me in this endevour, then please follow the methods that I have outlined above. In doing so, hopefully we can arrive at accurate conclusions and draw some pertinant information from these experiments that can be used to further our understanding of experimental mycology. Please note that if you post outside the limits of acceptable behaviour as outlined in this post, I will kindly ask you via PM to delete your post. No hard feelings, I would just like to keep this on topic and as free of as many variables as is humanly possible. Thank you for your understanding. END NOTE**

Of course, you would have to include in your post, which methods, procedures, and equipment are to be used by those that wish to contribute to your experiment. This should be no problem as you would still have to do this even if you had your own forum for it. Anyways, it's just a suggestion and I hope it helps you in some way. Either directly or by giving you ideas as to possible avenues from which to approach this problem. Good Luck.

Edited by 13eetleJuice (01/21/05 04:29 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback