Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Brown Rice Flour, Scales, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Please read this.
    #3656653 - 01/21/05 01:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Every day, people in the United States are becoming more apprehensive about nutrition. It is a subject of study at most universities. We have government organizations that are devoted to researching and dispersing knowledge pertaining to nutrition, in an effort to improve the health of our citizens. We have foods that are fortified with vitamins and minerals. Food labels listing the nutritional information of the food you are purchasing are mandated by law to be on virtually every food. These food labels even list the recommended amount of fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and sodium, and often other vitamins and minerals that a ?healthy? individual should consume in the course of a day. Many foods even have the food guide pyramid on its packaging. As most people know, the food guide pyramid lists the amounts of breads and cereals you should eat in a day, as well as fruits, vegetables, meats and poultry, dairy products, and sweets and fats. It is undeniable that through these things, people are becoming more aware of what is ?healthy? and what is not.

Surely, if someone who has no knowledge of the United States were to hear of all of these feats, they would safely be able to come to the conclusion that Americans must be some of the healthiest people on earth, due to their superior quality of nutrition. However this could not be further from the truth. Many diseases, particularly ones diametrically related to nutrition are on the rise. The incidence of obesity has nearly doubled in every state since 19911. Type 2 diabetes is growing at a horrendous rate. The statistics from the CDC showed that the incidence of type 2 diabetes rose 6% in 1999 alone2. A recent study has shown that the number of people with osteoporosis has increased 700% since 19943. That is a sevenfold increase in 7 years.

All diseases directly related to nutrition are rising at ludicrous rates. But why is this happening? We have experts working full time to tell us what is best for our health. We have food labels that allow us to know exactly what we consume so that we can get the ?appropriate? amounts of nutrients in our diets. We have guides that tell us how many servings of each type of food we should eat everyday, and many people are listening. People follow these guidelines to a tee, and they still develop problems. Obviously something is very wrong with the state of nutrition, especially within the United States.

Foods today are processed to no end, and almost every food commercially available is a processed food. This is an undeniable fact. Just walk into a grocery store, and try to find a food that either isn?t sealed in plastic, treated with chemicals, contains artificial preservatives, bleached, treated with pesticides, irradiated, blanched, refined, or artificially flavored. It?s nearly impossible. You would be left with only organic foods, which make up a very small minority of the foods found in a grocery store. Furthermore, the number of people who eat only organic foods make up a very small minority. It just isn?t profitable, as not enough people realize their importance.

Americans want instant gratification. They want foods that are ready to eat, or take very little effort to prepare. People also want foods that will last a long time and will not spoil. It is all about convenience. Your average American would not even tolerate the notion of buying a food that may spoil in a few days, or even a week. Most Americans would also be unwilling to purchase a food such as untreated flour because it would not be white as snow. We can buy food that is relatively inexpensive, lasts long, and is often ready to eat. More and more, people are buying pre-made foods, and less and less are people preparing foods for themselves, using fresh ingredients.

An excellent resource on the dangers of processed foods is the book Noursishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. The book explains clearly how many food processes destroy important enzymes, over denature proteins, remove precious vitamins and minerals, and do other harmful things to the food we eat. They also describe how many of the things nutritionists tell us are rather inaccurate, and they show that some of the longest-lived people in the world have the worst diets (by US standards that is). This makes perfect sense. There is no other feasible explanation for the nutritional crisis in the US. Obviously something is wrong. People are eating exactly how they are told to eat, and yet are still developing problems. This would immediately suggest that what people are eating, is in fact not healthy.

Many people are praising the wonderful effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, and these come primarily from fish. Many people hear this and immediately turn to take omega-3 supplements, instead of eating fish. This is a bad idea however, as high intakes of fish oil increase bleeding time, interfere with wound healing, worsen diabetes, and impair immune functions. Also these oils are made from farm raised fish skins and livers, which may contain environmental contaminants. Furthermore, these oils contain unusually high levels of vitamins A and D, which are two of the vitamins that most often manifest toxicities4. This is another problem with nutrition; many people think that they can cure their problems by merely taking a supplement, rather than seeking out a natural source of their nutrients. Most people also think that the more supplements the better, but fail to realize that every nutrient may be toxic when consumed in excess.

Many of the foods we eat, as well as most of the cooking oils we use contain a far greater amount of Omega-6 fatty acids than Omega-3 fatty acids5. Omega-3 fatty acids and Omega-6 fatty acids have opposing effects. Too much Omega-6 leads to heart disease, cancer, asthma, arthritis, and depression. Your diet should contain four times as many Omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids, but they average American diet has 11 to 30 times more6. Once people consume omega-3 fatty acids, these counteract the antagonistic effects of excess omega-6 fatty acids. If one were to consume the proper portion of these two essential fatty acids, there would be no need to seek out more omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, if they were eaten together properly, introducing more omega-3 fatty acids would be detrimental to your health, as it would impair you ability to clot blood, as well as a slew of other problems, which were mentioned earlier.

The primary raw foods that people eat are fruits and vegetables. Most other foods are cooked, and therefore have no enzymes intact, due to the denaturation of the proteins they are comprised of. Many enzymes are essential cofactors in specific reactions5. Increasingly, even fruits and vegetables, are being prepared in a manner that destroys their enzymes. If you are to purchase packaged fruits or vegetables that are ?fresh?, they really aren?t. These fruits and vegetables are always blanched in order to destroy polyphenol oxidase, which is an important enzyme responsible for breaking down plant tissues, and additionally it produces potent anti-microbial substances7. This seems pretty bizarre that we do this, considering the plants produce potent anti-microbial substances, and we are trying to protect them from microbes by destroying their polyphenoloxidase and adding less efficient artificial preservatives.

People are told not to eat much salt. Nutritionists often actually recommend that people eat less than the daily requirement, especially those with elevated blood pressure. A study was done that showed that decreased salt intake had no effect on blood pressure, and in some instances lowered it5. Chloride is essentially to the stomach?s formation of hydrochloric acid, and is readily available from salt, since it is sodium chloride. I would say that it is very poor advice to tell someone to remove salt from their diet. Salt is the primary source of chloride in the diet, and chloride is the most important anion of extracellular fluids. Chloride is crucial in proton pumps as it is constantly being exchanged with potassium within the cells of our body. Without chloride, cells would not be able to maintain proper osmotic pressure, and inevitably, they would die. Chloride is constantly excreted in the urine, and needs to be replenished4. Clearly, severely restricted salt intake would not be without consequences.

Few people realize that table salt is inferior to sea salt, and a poor choice period. I personally have been taught that table salt is good because it provides iodine in large amounts. The fact that sea salt contains an additional 80 minerals8, all of which the body can use, should be enough evidence that table salt is inferior, especially considering iodine can be obtained from other natural sources such as dairy products4. However, sea salt is actually an excellent source of iodine9, and excess iodine, which could be achieved from overconsumption of iodized salt may cause goiters, which is a fluid accumulation in the thyroid gland, which causes your neck to swell, and it is very unsightly4. Goiters may also interfere with your ability to breath and can cause you to suffocate.

Nourishing Traditions provides many examples of how processing foods destroy their nutritional content, but some examples were too strong to even think about overlooking. There was a man named Dr. Scharff went to Singapore to reduce infant mortality from malaria. 42% of infants were dying from this. Soon he had reduced the deaths to 16%. After administering brown rice for a year, the death rate was down to 8%5. It cut deaths in half, purely on the basis of changing the diet of the people! Polished rice is white, and lacks the outer shell, which is rich in thiamin. Thiamin deficiency is seen most frequently in people who have white rice based diets4. Had their food not been processed, they would not have these problems.

One thing that really startled me was the books mention of puffed rice. Apparently proteins in the rice get transformed into toxins through processing. Despite the discovery of toxins created in processing, the president of the company in question refused to pull the item, and said ?but if they insist on sticking it in their mouths, can I help it? Besides, we made 9 million dollars on the stuff last year.5? I was both outraged, and worried about this, since I will most likely working for a company like this one day. It should be a food company?s duty to ensure that people receive nutritious food. How someone could release a food product upon the discovery that it contains potent toxins is a mystery to me. It is unconscionable. It should also be illegal, and it concerns me that the FDA allows this product to be on store shelves.

Unadulterated, pure food is also not without its problems, under certain circumstances. Corn was introduced to Africa, which caused a population boom, as well as a serious imbalance in the African diet. Corn is easy to grow, and grows fast with little maintenance. It is a convenient crop. Again people are trying to improve upon what nature has given them. However, corn became the primary crop, and many people developed Pellagra5. This was also a problem in the south in the US in the early 1900?s. Pellagra is a niacin deficiency. Niacin is abundant in corn, but is bound to the indigestible matrix, and is therefore unusable in corn. Pellagra is a devastating disease that manifests itself in a four-symptom progression, diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia, and death. It is called the 4 D?s of pellagra4.

Many people vilify the use of various preservatives, and rightfully so I must say. This is something I had not really looked until recently. BHT (butylated-hydroxytoluene) and BHA (butylated-hydroxyanisole) are two anti-oxidant preservatives that are frequently used in foods, and that I frequently work with in food science. I decided to look at the material safety data sheet for these, and I was mortified when I realized that both BHA and BHT were antrancine derivatives. Antrancine is a very, very dangerous chemical, which can cause numerous detriments to ones health. The MSDS states that BHA?s health effects are: ?Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. Causes eye and skin irritation. Material is irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract.? That is just a brief excerpt from the hazards. Not surprisingly BHT has the same problems associated with it10.

The first thing that the MSDS says about both BHA and BHT is ?Harmful is swallowed?. Last time I checked, when you eat a food, you swallow it, yet this chemical is somehow allowed in our food. I am rather upset that this is a legal preservative. BHA is often found in butter, meats, cereals, chewing gum, baked goods, snack foods, dehydrated potatoes, and beer11. BHT is often used in the packaging of these foods! You are literally getting a double dose of poison.

Nutritionists are right; people are making horrible decisions everyday concerning their nutrition. The horrible decision they are making is listening to what nutritionists, scientists, and food companies tell them. Industrial processes are robbing foods of their nutritious content, and companies are further poisoning our foods through the unmitigated use of preservatives, and other chemicals added in processing such as dyes and bleach. All of this is in an attempt to improve upon nature. However, it would seem that nature truly does not need improvement, especially when it comes to nutrition. People used to prepare foods for themselves, and would have rather unadulterated foods until the advent of preservatives and industrial processing of foods. The more people rely on these processes, and ingest harmful toxins, the more they get sick. It is undeniable. People listen to the ?sound? advice of nutritionists, yet still get sick. There is no other possible explanation as to why we are getting diseased at an incredulous rate.

Perhaps what is saddest about this is the fact that we are continually trying to make foods more convenient, and inadvertently this usually involves more chemicals, and more processes, which will further rob our foods of any nutritional quality they once had. Medicines have proven ineffective and harmful at treating the disease that arise from poor nutrition, if they were successful, the problems would not exist. The only way to solve this nutritional crisis plaguing America, as well as much of the world, is to take a traditional stance when it comes to preparing foods. This would involve using fresh, unprocessed, unadulterated foods. I believe that if people would be willing to do so, this could feasibly be accomplished on a nation wide scale (however there would be many obstacles, including many companies that have a lot of influence in our government). Granted foods would be slightly more expensive, but how much money would be saved on health care costs, supplements, etc. Health care costs related to nutritional diseases such as diabetes greatly exceed 100 billion dollars a year4. That is at least 400 dollars per person, per year in the US on average. It has become very clear to me that trying to improve the quality of foods in a non-natural way will always be detrimental. There are many ways to preserve foods such as limiting their exposure to sunlight and oxygen, yet we rarely do these things.

Sources:
1. http://www.bannerhealth.com/channels/patients+and+visitors/facilities/arizona/good+samaritan/programs+and+services/specialty+services/bariatrics+center/obesity/obesity+rates.asp
2. http://diabetes.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/news/docs/010126.htm%23pr
3. http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/news.asp?ID=29992
4. Whitney, Eleanor, and Rolfes, Sharon. Understanding Nutrition Ninth Edition. Thomas Learning, CA. 697 p.
5. Fallon, Sally, and Enig, Mary. Nourishing Traditions. New Trends Publishing, Inc. Washington, DC. 668 p.
6. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Omega6FattyAcidscs.html
7. Fennema, Owen. Food Chemistry Third Edition. Marcel Dekker Inc. New York. 1067 p.
8. http://www.curezone.com/foods/salt/Celtic_Sea_Salt_Analysis.asp
9. http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/Health-problems/Hypothyroidism%20-%20researchDiet&Lifestyle.htm
10. http://www.business_services.oregonstate.edu/property/msds/DATA%5C7553.htm
11. http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082101a.htm

--------------------

Edited by blacksabbathrulz (01/21/05 03:06 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery
Re: Please read this. [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3656663 - 01/21/05 01:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

BTW, I lost 56 pounds after eliminating processed foods from my diet, despite the fact that I now eat more calories.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #3656802 - 01/21/05 02:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

nice paper. i'm sorry i havgen't taken the time to read it in it's entirety, but i'm inclined to agree with the nature of our dietary health crisis. the answer to healthy eating is balanced eating of foods that are found in nature :smile:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleBoom
Supervisor
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3656804 - 01/21/05 02:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Good read :thumbup: edit : despite the width of the paper :lol:

Edited by Booooom (01/21/05 02:13 AM)

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #3656811 - 01/21/05 02:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

educational, a good read.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

User Gallery
Re: Please read this. [Re: Boom]
    #3656946 - 01/21/05 02:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Booooom said:
Good read :thumbup: edit : despite the width of the paper :lol:

Shit, Im not sure how I can fix that.

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3657297 - 01/21/05 05:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

didn't read it all but what I read was good :thumbup:
so your main point is: moderation and balance in what you put in your body is important :laugh:

User Gallery
Re: Please read this. [Re: stefan]
    #3657299 - 01/21/05 05:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

stefan said:
didn't read it all but what I read was good :thumbup:
so your main point is: moderation and balance in what you put in your body is important :laugh:

Pretty much, also that processed foods are horrific for your body, and were never intended to be consumed.

--------------------

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
    #3657959 - 01/21/05 12:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

lol. That helps to explain why the man who only ate McDonalds for a month almost died.

--------------------

User Gallery
Re: Please read this. [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3658068 - 01/21/05 01:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SWEDEN said:
lol. That helps to explain why the man who only ate McDonalds for a month almost died.

No, what explains why he almost died was the fact that he ate 5000+ calories on a daily basis etc.

--------------------

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #3658088 - 01/21/05 01:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Brown Rice Flour, Scales, Toilet Paper

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being